Forum and Costume Controls
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first
|Viewing costume :: Padme Amidala
Senator in the Galactic Senate
spacelace (Lacie Conner)
Active Legion Member
Ra Kura Base
||Old Republic Royalty/Senatorial
|Senator in the Galactic Senate
General: I'm a new star wars fan, I was
brought into it by my friends that are in the
legion as well as my husband. I was drawn
to Padme, as her gowns are so intricate
with the details. I started this project by
visiting the actual gown at the MFA
museum where the star wars costumes
were on display. I took almost 50 photos of
the dress to try and remain as accurate as
Gown: Gown was a base bought from a
seller on Etsy, who created it to my exact
measurements. There is a two arm bands
on each arm, one at the top, and one at the
bottom near the wrist. The band on the top
has been switched to satin according to
reference photos. The band on the bottom
has been switched to a light yellow satin to
match the dress. The neck band has also
been switched to a light yellow satin. The
base of the dress is a satin type fabric that
has been dyed yellow, pink, and then lilac.
There is also a white underslip underneath
to prevent anything showing through. The
top gown and long train is made out of a
sheer fabric, also dyed to create the ombre
look. The fabric was then attached by me to
the back of the gown and sewn in near the
back jewelry piece. The train was modified
to have square edges. The edges of the
train have been lined with satin. The back
of the gown is attached to undergarments
to show off the back. The top of the gown is
attached to a neck piece which is adhered
with velcro and pins. The gown goes down
to the ankles. The sheer top gown is
gathered in the front and affixed using
Wig: Head is a brown based wig with lighter
highlights to make it look more natural.
High quality synthetic wig with brown hair
extensions added for volume. Nautilus
shape created using hair rat and bobby
pins. Sprayed with Wig Freeze Spray. Bangs
of Wig pinned back so no bangs are shown.
Front pieces of wig are intertwined with the
two headbands as shown from reference
Head Pieces: Two front headbands are
made from plastic generic headbands.
Remaining four headbands created with
polyfill and pipe cleaners to give it a three
dimensional look. All covered with purple
satin fabric. All pearl beads have been sewn
on. All headbands have been sewn into the
wig to be anchored and unmoving.
Neck Piece: Neck piece was created using
gold craft metal cut into five pieces like
reference photos. White based was painted
on top of the metal and a mother of pearl
shell veneer was adhered to the top of the
white base. All pieces have been glued
together. Neck piece is connected with two
gold chains on either side and to the satin
Armbands: Armbands were made with craft
foam coated with sturdy epoxy. Bands were
airbrushed a golden color. Several places
were covered and then painted over with a
pearl-based acrylic paint. It was then
covered with a pearl-based nail lacquer and
finished with a matte finishing spray.
Armbands are adhered to the white satin
arm pieces of the gown and to the body
using Hollywood tape.
Front Gown Jewelry: Three mother of pearl
pansies were coated with one large pearl
each surrounded by small pearls in a circle
based on costume reference photos from
MFA museum. Pansies were adhered to a
piece of worbola backing and then backing
was covered with mother of pearl veneer.
Strands were individually hand beaded with
either transparent seed beads or pearl seed
beads to wire string (to prevent breaking).
14 strands were attached to the pansies.
Elastic was glued to the pansies to be
placed on the dress and then anchored with
a jewelry base pin.
Back Gown Jewelry: Please see above on
how pansies and strands were made. This
one has two pansies according to standards
but also still had 14 strands of seed beads.
It was attached to the dress using a jewelry
Shoes: Shoes are a light pink satin ballet
flat. (I could not find lilac but I am still
searching for some, curse of having big
PLEASE NOTE: These photos were taking
during a convention. The neck piece was
not adhered properly to the dress, thus
making it a bit lopsided. This has been
corrected by adding velcro to the neckpiece
to anchor it at a correct angle to the dress.
Also, I acknowledge my back tattoo will be
covered. I ran out of time to cover it with
concealer during the convention.