Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7d19b079a61b6d97b1d9d79a0c99a7b3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Latch hook (gluing?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronin677 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Latch hook (gluing?) Reply with quote

So, to glue or not to glue, that is the question Wink

When latch hooking your hair does anyone add a spot of glue? I've always been concerned about my latch hooked hair just coming undone and wondered if this is more or a problem than I am imagining.
chefhawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair will only come undone if you are latching in too thick.

Only use 8 to 12 hairs at a time and it will hold. Make sure you pull the knot tight.

You will have issues with the hair in the right side off the top off the trouser leg/pants where the satchel rubs the hair and turns it into dreadlocks. After some troops and when it gets bad, just cut away the hair and re latch hook more grey hair in that section.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about the Chefhawk, good tip. My bandolier is now on order and hopefully will be in transit from the USA in the next few days
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a spot of glue on every single latch. I’ve never had to replace hair and I brush the entire suit aggressively before and after every troop. Done about 120 troops and I think the suit can do another 120+
Thetruth1777 ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckett wrote:
I put a spot of glue on every single latch. I’ve never had to replace hair and I brush the entire suit aggressively before and after every troop. Done about 120 troops and I think the suit can do another 120+

What kind/brand of glue do you use?
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Thetruth1777"][quote="Beckett"]I put a spot of glue on every single latch. I’ve never had to replace hair and I brush the entire suit aggressively before and after every troop. Done about 120 troops and I think the suit can do another 120+[/quote]

What kind/brand of glue do you use?[/quote]

A very small dab of gorilla glue. The yellow/orange stuff. Don’t use too much because it expands.
gato ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Chefhawk said, if you dont make thick strands, you will be fine. I had some hair on a new shirt I was trying to move around and the little knots were very difficult to get off. They arent going anywhere so glueing is a waste of time to me. Even if a few came out, you wont notice over the millions of other hairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: