Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a37530f081f5bf62dea09c224fbc988eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[Revision] Jaina Solo -New Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standard Revisions In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: [Revision] Jaina Solo -New Republic Reply with quote

So I recently made this costume and when looking at the general standard, I felt that there could be changes made to it to help others looking to make it.

Here are the standards as they currently are written:

1. A tan tunic reaching mid-thigh with wrist-length sleeves; crosses close in front.

2. A tabard of similar or same coloration as the tunic; may be directly attached to the tunic or a separate piece, but wraps behind the neck rather than continuing across the shoulders and down the back (as per traditional Old Republic Jedi).

3.A neck scarf noticeably darker in color than the tunic.

4. An obi-like sash of contrasting tans, with at least one (preferably both) fabric noticeably darker than the tunic; sash must cross over at an angle in the middle, with all visible edges of the sash lined with a lighter fabric.

5. A brown belt embedded with a narrower, darker belt; narrower belt must protrude from at least three spots within the wider belt.

6. At least two silver-colored buckles attached to the front and right side of the narrower belt; squarish and/or rectangular in shape.

7. Tan pants, lighter in color than the tunic.

8. Brown or tan knee-high, riding-type boots with little or no heel.

9. Gauntlets protruding from the sleeves and reaching the knuckles; preferably darker in color than the tunic.

10. A row (single or double) of braids starting from behind one ear and ending behind the other; hair, naturally colored, is pulled straight back (no bangs).

The current photos that are linked for reference also aren't consistent with each other so I feel that if we can keep to a general guideline -or- be very specific in coloring, this will also help future costumers.

Here are a few proposed reference images I think would benefit being included in this standard.

Here are the proposed changes to the current standard.

1. A tan/brown/beige tunic reaching mid-thigh with wrist-length sleeves that crosses close in front similar to a generic Jedi outer tunic.

2. A tabard the same color as the tunic or slightly lighter. Tabard may be directly attached to the tunic or a separate piece. Tabard wraps behind the neck rather than continuing across the shoulders and down the back (as per traditional Old Republic Jedi). Tabard should hit at the edge of the tunic or 1-2 inches past it. Tabard crosses in front to look like one single piece from the bottom of the belt down.

3. A neck scarf that wraps fully around the neck at least twice. Scarf should be darker in color than the tunic and the tabard, ideally a dark brown color.

4. An obi that is the same color as the tabard or within the same color family. Around the obi is a darker colored "sash" that is lined with a light tan/brown/beige fabric. Sash should cross in front to form the "X" like lines that are shown in reference photos. Sash should be the same color or a very similar color to the neck scarf.

5. A brown belt embedded with a narrower, darker brown belt. The narrower belt should fit through at least 3 slots within the bigger belt. Two silver buckles, rectangular in shape and matching very closely in size to the narrower belt, should be worn in the center and side right of the belt.

6. Beige/tan pants lighter in color than the tunic. No visible pockets.

7. Brown or tan knee-high, riding-type boots with little or no heel.

8. Gauntlets should roughly match the color of the obi in either brown/tan/beige. Gauntlets are curved at the ends and form a circular covering that should reach to the knuckles.

9. A row (single or double) of braids starting from behind one ear and ending behind the other; hair, naturally colored, is pulled straight back (no bangs).

Anything that should be added or taken away and thoughts on the changes suggested in general are welcome. Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Juno Eclipse, Endor Leia, Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Natalie! How are you?

Great proposal! Very complete! Thank you so much for your help Wink Wink Wink

I am going to join this proposal with the thread that my DXO, Leroni, put together.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93813

So we have two proposals that can help us have a great Standard

I appreciate the great text. And thank you very much for the contribution to the KJO Detachment

Yours!
•Detachment CO - KJO 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2016
•Detachment CO - KJO 2015 - 16
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment CO - KJO 2014-15
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14
Sword of the Jedi (Anastasia Walat)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if I am allowed to add to this discussion being such a new RL member and not any kind of officer. I could not post in the linked discussion thread. Nor do I know if discussion has been closed yet on thoughts about revision. But as someone who's first and only approved costume so far is Jaina from as recently as August 2017, I had a few thoughts to share.

1. I made my tabard as one whole piece. I would say the tabard loops around the back of the neck and that below the obi the ends of the tabard lay mostly on top of each other instead of side by side or separately.

2. More reference photos would be very helpful. If not for the one from the New Essential Character Guide, I would have been lost. Half the links were broken, and the picture of the miniature was useless being the wrong color - it's black!

3. That is definitely a "Y" shape for the lighter fabric on the obi.

4. I put three buckles on my belt because of lack of picture references, and I liked the symmetry. But I would say only two should be required with the third as optional.

5. My buckles were square because squares were much easier to find than rectangles, but I would say either should be required giving people options on what is easier to find.

6. The standards say the tabard can be lighter or the same color as tunic. But when I asked if I could use the same color, I was told a lighter shade was preferred so that is what I did. But please decide one way or the other. Either both are equally acceptable or the standards should say the tabard should be lighter than the tunic and leave it at that.

7. Knowing specifically how far down the tabard should hang below the tunic would be helpful to specify in the standards. I was able to get an easy answer in my build thread, but putting it in the standards would save on the number of times that question will be asked. I also recall when studying previous Jaina build threads judges saying the tabard should hang lower than the tunic, not the same length. As a result, I made sure mine hung longer. Again, it would be helpful to decide one way or another. Either both are equally acceptable or the standards should say the tabard hangs this much lower and leave it at that.

8. It may be optional but I would say that Jaina's scarf is an infinity scarf, which is what I used from recommendations of other approved Jainas to help get the draping right. Infinity scarves are usually instinctively looped twice automatically when worn. The infinity scarf also helps it stay on during windy troops.

9. Finding a lightsaber was HARD. A lot of the saber shops didn't do a variation of Jaina, and the one that did had discontinued theirs. (I wonder if it is a current trend of saber shops to discontinue some EU characters in general.) I was lucky enough to get one when they did a briefly returned limited run. The Mace Windu alternative suggested in the standards was also discontinued. So affordable lightsaber options for Jaina in the standards would be extremely helpful to future Jainas.

Again, this may all be none of my business, but if any of these comments help future Jainas, it was worth posting my two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standard Revisions In Progress All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: