Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4e854770e5890e8703dad58f322d13eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

U wing helmet build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtyler3 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am one small step forward....

The adapter to attache the mic needed to be redone as I messed up the length.
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing the progress you are making. You seem to be picking up all the details in the helmet. Looking forward to seeing the next steps.

Best wishes
Andy
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Got the replacement visor cover in, started working on the central mohawk...why does this feel like I am making this a lot harder than it needs to be?

The plan is to use this as a base to fiberglass the item...
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visor update:

I made the changes to the orientation of the mounts as per my eyes on the available photos. I filled in my holes and kept the originals to show the difference:

original position:

Newest position:

Notice the change to the alignment with the ear cup. It runs more parallel to the curve now:

Here is the new visor position. The bottom of the stock visor cover is pretty close to the rubber edging:

And a rough shot of the picture and my changes. Notice the face of the visor cover is more horizontal than the vertical if the mounts had been in the stock position:

This is as far as I am going to go with this mod of the visor and its position. I am 100% sure now they did not use this base helmet for the U wing, I need to check into the SPH-5. I am going to continue this build with this helmet but to be exact... it is not the right base.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... I figured it out. I am working on an SPH-3 helmet.

I thought I had purchased an SHP-4 but it is not. That is why I kept running into these subtle differences that were driving me crazy....
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

One small step closer. Mic boom is done.

This is my best guess based on:

I cut out the bushing that holds in the mic boom from the original part.

At some point perhaps we will get real detailed pictures. If anybody sees something please let me know.

SPH-4 helmet has arrived. It is much closer in profile than the SPH-3. But now I have a different problem that I ordered an extra large to fit my head. but my parts are for a regular.

Been tossing about ideas on how to complete the crests. Going to try a few this week once I get that material in.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fun.

Removed the original mic wiring as the the end pins are much older than the SPH-4 communication set up and wired in the plug for the ear gear in an effort to try to maintain the function of the mic. Even was able to reuse the wire clamp hidden under the flange:) My soldering skills suck.

EDIT:

Also contacted VanOaksPropFoundry on etsy to make the decals for the helmet. One red and one yellow phoenix for the front of the visor cover (options) and the circle with the lines one. In the mail and will post pics once I get them in.

These ones:
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Been slowly working on the central crest. Here is the roughed out first pass:

Need to tighten up quite a bit, sides are straight though. Started at 3 inches across, I thin kit is 3.25 now. Started with 9mm in the front, rising to 10 across the top and then coming back in to 5mm at the bottom of the back. I think it is at 10mm, 11mm, and 7mm at the back right now.

Still working on how to use this as a base for molding in fiberglass....

Made the frame from 3d printed shapes I designed, then used expanding foam to fill it in and give it rigidity, sanded to shape, then bondo, bondo, bondo to provide the actual part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: