Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=57485f174073bbeb72efe5a11c62c49fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Strange rumor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenrirkyramud ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Strange rumor Reply with quote

Maybe it's not a rumor, but something I have not read as of yet. At a troop yesterday, it was brought to my attention, we are no longer allowed to spar during events. Even light sparring. Posing for "clash" photos I allowed, but no open sparring. Can someone confirm this? And if so, explain why.
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange rumor Reply with quote

fenrirkyramud wrote:
Maybe it's not a rumor, but something I have not read as of yet. At a troop yesterday, it was brought to my attention, we are no longer allowed to spar during events. Even light sparring. Posing for "clash" photos I allowed, but no open sparring. Can someone confirm this? And if so, explain why.

I am not sure if I fully understand your question, but I am going to take a stab at it.

We do not encourage sparring at events for liability reasons. Onlookers as well as a members can be put at risk at events and that must be considered. Groups like Saber Guild specialize in choreographed performances, still are rehearsed in practiced to limit chances of self or harm to others.

Members who do this take on the personal liability, since this is not endorsed by the organization.

In saying this, posing for pictures with sabers clashing is permissible. There may be exceptions to the policy, but for general practices we should not swinging light sabers at events, again to protect our fans and our members. This is just best practices.

Common sense in these matters usually prevails. Smile

Thanks,

--Bill

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no spar rule came years ago, actually, because of a fear of Lucasfilm getting in trouble with angry parents due to us representing Star Wars when out and about, and to avoid risk to the members regarding liability. (Basically).

Locally, we referred to it as 'another American sue rule', since we don't have a sue culture here. Parents accept personal responsibility and liability for their kids.
But we do not spar with the kids as RL members, because of this rule, even if they want to. And yes, many do hate the rule, but on the plus side it protects our fragile lightsabers. Wink MR and Hasbro aren't the most durable.

And of course, the rule killed the Jedi Academy thing many bases used to do at conventions. Only Disney does that now.

Maybe you can find the original announcement somewhere in the archives here on the forum. I think you have to go back to 2008 or 2009.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: