Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=824ca69cf55ee521d109a0cb8d9e96aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Loyalist Committee Senate gown Fabric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quietus ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Padme Loyalist Committee Senate gown Fabric Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I find at local store this burnout flames velvet fabric in white color. It's silk/rayon, so you need to dye it.
Fabric cost 32$/meter.
So, if someone want to get it - PM me, I can buy it for you and send by Air mail( + extra $ for shipping).

Last edited by Quietus () on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG THIS IS LOVELY

Do you have any pictures showing the scale of the flames? I am pretty short and have found some burnout fabric that the design is probably too big for my body

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Yumi ()
French Base XO
French Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested too !
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat doubt that this fabric is "100% silk". Usually, that kind of burnout silk ist a rayon/silk blend; with the pile being rayon and the backing being silk.
Could you confirm by doing a burn test that this fabric is 100% silk?
Quietus ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi, it is real 100% silk. I easily checked it with my dye tests, which I made over 20+ times, to find a shade I like Smile
I just made a lot of times test dye baths, using 4 different shades of dyes( red, violet, black and blue) which is for natural fabrics and not " one dye for rayon and other for silk"
And you know what?) This burnout flames velet perfectly dyed Smile
As a proof, my latest test of my dye baths with this silk burnout velvet.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color of the backing is slightly differing from the color of the pile. This indicates very well that those are two different fibers.
Rayon, aka Viscose, is an "almost" natural fiber which dyes extremely well with dyes for natural fibers. The difference of rayon versus silk fibers is mainly that the silk fibers are protein fibers, which dye not as well as non-protein fibers with most dyes.
It would have been interesting to do either a dye test with the AlterEgo dyes for silk and rayon, to see if backing and pile dye differently, or to do a burn test with just the pile or the backing fibers. Those two tests would have probably told you if the fabric is 100% silk - which I still doubt because of the sheen of the pile, which is typical for rayon but not for silk velvet.

Besides, if this was 100% silk velvet, the pattern would have had to be woven on a rather rare machine, because the typical burnout process for that kind of pattern would not have been possible with just one fiber present in the fabric content.
THAT type of weave, with that particular machine, would have a) resulted in a non-sheer backing, plus b) you would have had to add another zero to the price of $32... because that kind of weave would cost $300 or more per yard.
It also would have been produced in Italy, because as far as I know, there's only one company in the world left which owns such a machine, and said company is located in Italy. Said company produces extremely high-end silks - think Kreml and Emirates interior.
Quietus ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my photo - there is just my table with cloth on it. so it's just see through my velvet. It's not actual backing)
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quietus wrote:
At my photo - there is just my table with cloth on it. so it's just see through my velvet. It's not actual backing)

On velvet, "backing" is what the sheer part of your velvet is called. The backing is the part of the weave that holds the pile.
And as I already said, the fact that this backing is sheer is one pretty strong indication that this is a burn-out fabric opposed to a woven, voided velvet. A "voided" velvet is what a velvet WOVEN with such a raised pattern would be called. Such a voided velvet wouldn't have a sheer backing.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know where the confusion stems from. Usually silk-rayon velvet (silk backing, rayon pile) is often just referred to as silk velvet. Smile Dharma Trading does it, Silk Baron does it, and I'm sure many others do it, too. But the descriptions usually clarify the fiber content.

Your test dyes looks nice, and I hope the end result will turn out wonderfully.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Quietus ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I think I know where the confusion stems from. Usually silk-rayon velvet (silk backing, rayon pile) is often just referred to as silk velvet. Smile Dharma Trading does it, Silk Baron does it, and I'm sure many others do it, too. But the descriptions usually clarify the fiber content.

Your test dyes looks nice, and I hope the end result will turn out wonderfully.

Thank you, Lora! Smile
And you are right! sadly, but shop where I bought my fabric just said " it's a 100% silk" and there wasn't a description about fiber content to this fabric. But.. here in my country I always know, that if they write " 100% silk" on a plain white velvet - they mean, that it's silk backing only and not whole fabric)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is often the case. It's misleading, but there's not much we can do about it, other than be aware of it and make others aware of it, too.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: