Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=901f56e536c72f42849ada2f6f478381Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Qi'ra Jacket Standard Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see any brown piping. It was jet black in person as well as all the images I see. Where are you guys seeing brown?

LCJ / GML - LMO 501st Legion - ALMO Rebel Legion

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Sun May 13, 2018 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!! <3

I do not see where I listed white. Can someone show me the line?

I listed egg shell white (is that what you are refering to)?

This is Egg shell white btw

This is Tan

This costume is not tan! no no no to dark Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
Thanks guys!!! <3

I do not see where I listed white. Can someone show me the line?

D

In the title. It says “Qi Ra white jacket discussion” or something like that. Just don’t want people to be confused. Very Happy

I’m not great at color names but I still would disagree that it’s white at all. Eggshell is close but still has too much white IMO.Perhaps beige is too strong of a color but sand or a similar color would be a better name for it.

In progress/planning: Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg shell white is a color. Its just the name. I didnt list white on it Very Happy
For the record i do not think its white either

but its like saying burgundy isnt a red. when it is Very Happy Its a type of berry toned red.

Or that hunter isnt a shade of green.

Its a tone of white. is there another color you would describe? tan to my eye is way to dark

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Sand” was my initial suggestion and I still think that’s accurate colorwise. Then again, I’m not great with colors and their names lol

In progress/planning: Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
“Sand” was my initial suggestion and I still think that’s accurate colorwise. Then again, I’m not great with colors and their names lol

hmmm sand is interesting. Like a good middle ground between the two. This is close and would work IMHO as well!

https://sherwin.scene7.com/is/image/sw/color-swatch?_tparam_size=250,250&layer=comp&_tparam_color=D4C5AD

Though if you just google "sand color" its allllll over the place which is concerning. That will confuse applicants
perhaps?

Sand is also kinda yellow. which i am not sure im seeing yellow?

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Padme92 wrote:
This is great! Many thanks !
Do you have any pictures of the greebles of the boots ?

The boot greeblies can be clearly seen on the theater standees. Here's a link to one closeup image.

https://twitter.com/yeahclarke/status/974422345858371585

I 3D printed mine and have them attached with velcro and it works great!

Mine are rivets. I thought in one image you can see a strap holding the bigger strap onto the boots. But heck velcro works!

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn, I agree with Natalie. Both the thread title and the text description really needs to *completely* lose the word "white". There's no white, no where. (except maybe the belt edging, if that's not silver? but not the jacket)

Thread title: "Qi'ra White Jacket Standard Discussion"

Post #1, 1st line: "Qi'ra White Jacket with Optionals Discussion"

Also Post #1:
"JACKET:
*The jacket ends at the costumers ribcage and is eggshell white or off-white in color and made from microsuede or suede."

All of these mentions of "white" are simply inaccurate, and misleading, especially to someone not reading closely.

Instead of white, I think "cream" or "sand-colored" would both work. Or use Glyn Dillion's description of the color from his tweet: “Somewhere between cream and beige”. But "white"... even "eggshell white" is entirely incorrect… and again, misleading and prone to mis-interpretation. Which we need to avoid in formal standards, especially when translations start coming into play.

Ditto for the piping. We know with 100% certainty that it's not black. It's dark brown, same tone as the dark brown shearling/sherpa fur on the collar. But the first post still refers to black piping.

The Boots are not really "gloss black". They're just regular black leather, with some shine but nowhere near patent leather levels of shine. If you put “gloss black” people will buy patent leather boots, thinking that’s what you mean. (This has already happened in the FB group)

I posted about the stitched design on the back of the gloves earlier... the OP should be updated to remove the "free of detail and design" which is incorrect.

I think it's safe to update the OP to more accurately reflect the various details which are known 100% certain at this point.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out where the white was. I removed that I didnt realize I forgot to update the name x,x

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Boots are not really "gloss black". They're just regular black leather, with some shine but nowhere near patent leather levels of shine. If you put “gloss black” people will buy patent leather boots, thinking that’s what you mean. (This has already happened in the FB group)

One thing I did notice which i pointed out on the other description is that the covers are gloss black. which is what I think i was seeing the shine on

PS- yeah i forgot to update this x,x I updated the proper one but then forgot on this one sorry

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts?

I do love the creme to

And i know he said between cream and beige but yikes this is beige.

If anyone applied in a Beige one I would not think this should be approvable. This is to dark

and i realize he said BETWEEN but to even list beige means we are ok with this color o.o

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look I do not mean to argue the beige.. but at the end of the day Im sorry this costume doesnt look in any way shape or form beige. We go by whats in the movie and obviously whats in the movie is light as heck Razz

Costume designers and anyone can say what they want but we need images to back that up :/

PS- Updated the OP
Look better?

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have pictures of the actual costume and in no way do I see white. This discussion can go around and around but until we know which category she will fall in (RL or 501st or both), I suggest we set a base standard and then go from there. I am going to post this discussion link on LotL and a few other places to help spread the discussion to more than just 4 people lol. I feel the more input the better.

My main concern with the color is people are going to read a title and think, "Oh! I should buy white fabric for this jacket!" and then go to all the work of putting it together and then have it turned down because it's white. Having white in the title is not something I would suggest. "Qi Ra's Smuggler Outfit" or something like that might be better. Just my opinion though.

Drazan ()

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of naming names, especially since this is an international effort. How about we agree on a range of shades then put that image of colors on the CRL like the generic Jedi does.

All these were pulled from various photos of Qi'ra.

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP looks much better, once we dial in the language about the color of the jacket. Thanks, Dawn!

One small thing I noticed, about the necklace:

"NECKLACE:
* A thin silver chain with a bar that is approximately 1.5 inches long by .5mm tall. There is a black stone or resin design in the center. "

We definitely know at this point that it's definitely not any sort of black stone. It's only unclear whether it's the black lacquer paint that's often used on silver-toned jewelry, or simply deep enough that the shadows make it look darker than it is. Hopefully another trip to the costume displays soon can resolve that!

I guess you want to keep the black option for the piping and the sherpa lining, even though we definitely know it's not black, but dark brown? The rubber tubing is also dark brown, turns out. FWIW, I'm not hugely against the idea of leaving a black option, but I'll note that we DO definitely know that the actual costumes are not black, at this point. And dark brown shouldn't be overly difficult to source, so it's not really an availability accommodation, as is sometimes done. I just wanted to raise the issue, but it's not really something I feel super passionate about if others want the standard more flexible.

The base color of the jacket material is a thornier problem, in terms of verbiage. Drazan's idea of a color chart isn't bad. There will still be variation, especially at the top and bottom ends, because few people are using color calibrated displays, but I would think it's still likely to be within reason. Perhaps, in conjunction with the color chart, and the actual reference photos which are now included with the updated Standards format, we actually could use verbiage along the lines of "cream/eggshell/sand/light beige".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: