Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9ac042f909a1aedf5d56d97a101f27e0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess Leia comic jumpsuit and cloak outfit - help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great as it all comes together! The weight of your cape is really nice.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the length of the cape looks great. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
RacheLeia (Rachel Folmar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I wore this for a con last month and got a few more things done on it beforehand!

First of all, I made little loops on the inside on the neck of the cloak to thread the ties through so that they don't hang down and show. It seemed to work well at the con.

Second, I re-handsewed a few of the patches where the threads had snapped in the wash.

Third, I finished the edges of my holster, which made it look a lot more polished and nice!

I still haven't gotten replacement metal pieces for my holster yet. Not sure now if that's something hubby can do or not. Do you all have any recommendations for how to go about making those?

In the current version, I used tin snips and cut some steel sheeting in the right shapes for the buckles and the holster attachments. We found some hardware at the store to use as well — hinges for where the buckles attach to the leather belt, and little round knobs that we JB welded onto the back of the buckles, which the holster part hooks onto. I believe I stated before that unfortunately one of those knobs popped off at a con the week after we glued it on, so the back buckle is currently held on with duct tape! The front knob stayed on though, which makes me wonder if I just didn't give the back one enough time to cure. If that's the case, I could easily remake the back buckle set if this method passes muster. But I'm not sure if it will or not. I'm traveling right now, but once I get home I'll take some closeups of the buckles and post them here so I can get feedback on whether they work or not.

In the meantime, here's a few pictures from the con. I wish I'd gotten one with my hood up, but that will have to wait for another time!

Photo credit for the middle two goes to the amazing Beastmodephotography!

One more question. I haven't dyed my gloves yet — currently I kind of like the fact that they match my boots, but I don't know if that will match the standards. The standards call for the gloves to by light brown to tan and the boots to be light or medium brown or tan. In the comic, sometimes her boots look dark brown, sometimes tan, so it's confusing! Currently I'd describe both my boots and my gloves as a medium brown (in some of these pictures they're in shadow, but in a few where the light hits you can kind of see the color). So, should I dye my gloves lighter, even though that means they won't match the boots anymore? The standards don't say that the boots and gloves have to match; I just think it looks nice. I suppose I could dye my boots lighter too, but I'd hate to do that as the boots are real leather and have a fantastic worn-in look which I'd lose if I dyed them. And then there's the fact that "light" and "medium" and "dark" brown are all relative — I'm not sure what others would classify as what. Any thoughts?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes, your boots and gloves seem to fit into "medium" brown. If you are unsure, submit a reference photo of the boots and gloves in that color from the comics during your application. We all know that comics can be inconsistent, so it helps to show exactly what part of the comic you are using for reference.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: