Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=642d8db9fc5d3959f4ba328ea11abb4cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume progress :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, its been a while since I posted here. I just wanted to tell you a wee story and see if someone here can point me in the right direction. Ths weekend just gone my costume was completed. Unfortunately at the same time my saber has died. I've tried all the basic things to get it working again (changing batteries etc) but to no avail.

Does anyone know what else I can do to revive my saber before I have to invest in a new one?

Richard
Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with any electronic query, but if you google 'saber forum' there are a couple out there that have sections for wiring/tech problems etc.
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What area are you in and what saber do you have? If you are waiting on it for approval photos you can just use the hilt (though I'm guessing you want a permanent light up saber Wink )

Different sabers are housed in different parts and the method of lighting is different in each one so before being able to help these are things to be thought of. If you purchased overseas (likely?) then I'd ask in the Jedi section under lightsabers, you'll be likely to get a response from someone who has ha the same issue over there pretty quickly Smile
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=610

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Masterton
I have one of these
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DjuUb0xcKGM/SxC0b14N9aI/AAAAAAAAAqM/6LrVcQGZx-c/s400/DSC08387.JPG

Unfortunately the blade doesn't come off.
Done a bit of research and the fault might lie in the battery pack. Certainly hope so. It beats trying to pull the thing apart.
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I need a lightsaber clip on my belt. This is something I clearly missed when reading the criteria. So, can someone please point me to one of those?
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A covertec or hook type clip depending on your hilt.

Quote:
6. Lightsaber Clip:
Covertec or similar style lightsaber clip OR a hook/clip for lightsaber on belt.
a. For the “hook/clip” type of lightsaber attachment, the lightsaber (itself) will likely have a D-ring (similar to the connection system for the armored Darth Vader and Old Ben lightsabers).

A quick google search for covertec brings up a few sources, including one on Amazon that is actually a hook and D ring system. If it wasn't so pricey I'd be grabbing a few myself.

Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I have ordered a new saber with belt clip. When it arrives I will be resubmitting my application. So all going well, I should have an accepted costume in two weeks.
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clip and new saber has arrived and I have resubmitted my application. Here's hoping I've dotted all the I's and crossed all my T's.
Craigorski (Craig Haskell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. i dotted my t's and crossed my eyes.. and havent dont a thing to fix my sleeves lengths... i is lazy Rolling Eyes

hope you troop with us somewhere soon
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Richard
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he was approved a day later Smile So congrats Richard Smile
(note the Active Legion Member text under his name XD )

MattG (Matt Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
And he was approved a day later Smile So congrats Richard Smile
(note the Active Legion Member text under his name XD )

Indeed (mentioned here, in 2013) Smile
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a padme (light blue Tattooine to replace one of my first costumes. It's been a difficult one as I found screen accurate fabric (a hint darker but the same fabric).
It's been a really interesting journey as the fabric is bouncier and streticer and is really fuzzy so it clings to itself or makes super round folded rolls.

I need to adjust the underarm panel of the cape and sew it together fully Smile It's in four parts Smile

And I'm working on Ahsoka still Smile
Rebels version as she's actually pretty close to my height, which is so nice. But it's still difficult to scale the props.

Leatherworked hip pieces (I keep avoiding the wetforming stage but I have what is probably the best advice (fully submerge in water just on the cusp of being too hot, get the lather fully wet, and then on the form.
I usually cold form it's just not quite as stable.

I have tidied those side semas and will be making the lekku ends in a few days.

But I have spent two days in Sketchup making her hilts! It's fun but fristrating and the emitter is definitely the sticking points!It's just to make sure the curve matches and still allows a narrow blade through.

Start with a slice through:

Extrude:

Extrude some more in different planes.

Make circles and extrude and scale the tops and bottoms and extrude some more

The emitter really is not fun! but I am going to use an old fashioned ruler and paper to figure it out- my fine pen will mimic the sketch up pen because the original images get blurry at correct scale. And may have to accept that it will have to be formed in one. I was wanting to print in silver and copper abs.)

Please feel free to share your work here too Smile And feel free to share any threads you have in the costuming sections of the forum Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started crying today after all the wasted work I have spent trying to make these work. It's been three weeks! But today I have finally managed to cut the hilts ready for printing, create overlaps edges to help connect the pieces after printing, and get a curve and tidy all the errors the curving makes!!!!
So i had a mix of my own mistakes with errors from a plugin. But both were finally conquered.

Those nested instances are not an error, they are because I have cut the hilts up to print faster and more reliably Smile This is how I made my Ventress hilts and they printed very fast indeed Smile

To make this printable I need to align all those pieces to the right axes and try to make them close enough to fit as much on the plate as possible and far enough apart to not cause errors with the print head moving back and forth!
Then export as an OBJ, then parse it through a slicer (I'm using Cura as it's very reliable) and then convert.
I'll need to move and recalibrate the printer, then test , and finally use the files! Hopefully these will be possible to do in two files not three but given all the accessories that's not a given.

So now I can actually rest and start work on the rest of the costume! I have managed to get my workroom better arranged for my printer and for latex and leatherwork at least Smile It needs tidying but now it's okay to do that.

If the files work I will release them for others.Smile

While my montral were sculpted and slip cast I have been making lekku from squishy foam for ages. They have at least some flex, though over the last few years it's still been a case of finessing the technique.

I printed the concept art at full scale. What is helpful with these lekku is the flat back. So we can use the profile as the very first piece to cut.

This is then taped perpendicularly to card that will form the back. Once the frame is taped then it's time to try for shaping the back. This is done by eye which can be a bit off.

To create the sides tape the frame to paper and cut radiating strips out. These offer something for tape to adhere to.

Then these are cut apart and transfered to card for more careful shaping. Keeping the profile shape helps keep this stable as well.

Once taped to the form it is possible to see where shaping needs to happed. As this is a template it's possible to only alter one side.

Here only the left has been altered.

The top seam also can be adjusted. And the entire pice taken off the form.

I have used a similar method previously for my Ahsara Zavros ensemble:

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2015/01/14/1756854/

I used sheer pantihose to smooth the foam. Urethane foam is lovely and squishy but is fragile. The material also allows minimal seepage of latex into the foam to help keep them fairly soft.

Latex shrinks as it cures to the thinner the layer the better.

This is also how I make all my Twi’lek lekku- skinned foam  Smile It takes patience. latex cures very fast in thin layers.[/quote]

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is for everyone Smile I've started a new project:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1018106#1018106

So once actual work has started I'll share over here. Solo spoiler costume for those who haven't seen the film.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: