Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1f30cb990cd116316e7130a9b1c46304Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Need Help on the start process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewie (Charles Walsh)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Need Help on the start process Reply with quote

Hello fellow wookiees, I plan on making my suit this year. I've seen the list of materials and progress photos. but havent yet found how you start putting it together. Im looking for tutorials, how to videos etc. I appreciate any help thanks
Charles
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

My personal opinion start with deciding on the look you want. Are you going with one of the established, named wookiees or generic? If generic, work with the judges to get the colors and pattern you would like pre-approved. Will also help you decide what colors and how much you may need/want to start off with.

From there you can pretty much take the plunge.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Uffizzi (Norman Gugliotta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome!

I would also add that after you decide your look and materials, etc., to begin putting the costume together with the literal foundation of the costume - your stilts or 'KISS' boots. The proportions of the costume are determined in large part by the legs, which are determined by your stilts or 'KISS' boots.

And have fun with your build!
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice above. All I will add is that with any costume, especially one that needs to be approved by any of the legions, research, research, research. Doing your proper research up front and knowing what will be expected by the people approving you will save time and possible a lot of money. Know your plan before you even order anything so you are sure of what you are getting and what you will be using it for.

Plan the work...work the plan. Works for project of all kinds...lol.
Chewie (Charles Walsh)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. Did you guys uses mannequins or like a duct tape cast to put the mesh suit on for the build? thanks again
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the mesh suit is sewn, there are a few options. Jamie uses a microphone stand with the boom mic arm. I have started to use that with my shirt because it does make it a little easier at times.

My favorite way to latch hook is to put 1 of the squares of floor foam (same used for making foam armor, etc) in the leg hole for example so it is curved around like a taco shell. This keeps the mesh tight, gives me a huge crafting area I can sit in my alp and has nothing behind the mesh for the hook took to snag so I can move at a good pace, at least good for a beginner.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Evilcritter (Tara Murphy)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, I like that idea...
Gigglesdatrooper (Jason Widger)
Utapau Base CO
Utapau Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a half mannequin I used to do my shirt. The pants I used clamps and just pulled it tight and started at one corner.

I found starting and going across seems like it takes for ever. I started at one corner and went at angles. Even though time wise it takes the same it just seems to me as your moving faster lol s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: