Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=25c43a44e49f0f9ab4950599faf20a9fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A standard updated to new format: [rewrite] RFT - ANH
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> RAID Standards Development -> RAID Standard Revision Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: A standard updated to new format: [rewrite] RFT - ANH Reply with quote

Since the new CS format was put in to place earlier this week, I think its best for RAID to start the arduous task of reformatting all of the existing CS to the new format. What better place to start than the ever popular Rebel Fleet Trooper from A New Hope.

I propose that the RFT - ANH standard be formatted to the following:

Rebel Fleet Troopers were the front-line soldiers of both the early rebel movement and later, the Rebel Alliance in the early war against the Galactic Empire and later the Galactic Civil War. Initially formed from loosely connected resistance cells, the leadership of Mon Mothma saw them become an impressively armed and trained galaxy-spanning infantry. Source: Wookieepedia

REQUIRED ITEMS

Headgear

Choose one:

Helmet
• The helmet is white or light grey in color with an accurate swept back “wing” attached to the back.
• The helmet has a white, smoke, or black colored “visor”.
• There is a communications box on the wearer’s left side of the helmet.
• There is a black chin strap with a white chin cup.

Or

Field Cap
• The cap is tan in color.
• There are six panels on the cap, a bill, and a rear flap.

Shirt
• Long-sleeve light to medium blue shirt with bib in front (blue Chambray or blue Oxford recommended).
• Bib covers front of shirt and comes all the way up to the collar button and not sag. The bib can end below the belt line or approximately two to three inches above the belt line. The shirt is void of visible closures below the bib.
• The collar lacks visible buttons.

Vest
• The vest is black with pockets, lacks a collar, and it has no visible buttons.

There are 2 options for the pocket layout:
• A four pocket layout with two on each side of the center seam. One set of pockets is located at approximately breast height. The other set of pockets is located approximately two to three inches above the bottom seam.

or

• A screen accurate pocket layout with a double stitched yoke line in the front and the back. The wearer’s front right side has a large pocket with three sections located below the yoke and each section has a pocket flap and strap. The right side also has smaller open pocket with a Velcro closure located below the upper pocket. The wearer’s front left side has one large “half moon” pocket with two pockets on top of it. Top one is open and bottom one has a pocket flap. Also on the left side and below this large pocket is another pocket with a flap. It is the same height as the right side lower open pocket flap.

Pants
• The pants are BDU-style with cargo pockets located below each hip.
• The color is light grey to medium grey.
• The fabric is a medium weight cotton or similar fiber.

Boots
• The boots are reach mid-calf in height and feature a low heel. High-calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the pant legs.
• The boots are void of laces, straps at the ankle, and zippers on the outside. If a zipper is present, it is black in color.
• The boots are leather or leather-like material and are not made of rubber.
• Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable.

Belt and buckle
• The belt is made of non-textured leather or leather-like material.
• Belt width is 1 3/4 to 2″ wide in canyon or range tan color.
• 2″ silver buckle can be rectangular, octagonal, or oval.

OPTIONAL ITEMS – Choose a minimum of FOUR items

• DH-17 blaster (Unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm)

• Pike weapon.

• Two aluminum/silver belt boxes that are approximately 2 1/2" (63.5 mm) by 3 1/2" (88.9 mm) by 1" (25.4 mm) thick.

• Large open pocket on the upper back of the vest with a center Velcro closure. Proportional to wearer and extends almost from armhole to armhole. Pocket is located high on the back and start slightly higher than the mid point of the arm holes.

• Strip of 3 pockets along the bottom hem of the vest approx. 5″ tall.

• Antenna on helmet comm box.

• Accurate brown Holster – color similar to belt

• Rank Badge – approximately 2″ x 2″ (6 cm), aluminum in color, with only blue and red pips (dots).

Some of the wording has changed from the current standard, but the requirements remain the same. The wording was changed to better reflect the new CS guidelines posted by the LMO.

For the images attached, I tried to keep them direct screenshots because the Rebel Legion has permission to use them.

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando, Rebel Marine (Scarif) - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad

Last edited by jthatcher (Jim Thatcher) on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we used to use in the old days.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/schphgochi/RLWT/RFTVisualguidephoto.jpg~original

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

I think we should also give examples of which rank badge layouts are acceptable... people have linked to various different guides in the past, some with conflicting information. Can't this be codified and made official, at this point?

One point, however: "Two (2) aluminum/silver belt boxes proportional to wearer."

Do we really need the "proportional to the wearer" at this point? The sizes of the boxes are pretty well known at this point. It's a 2" belt, so everything can be/has been figured out. Those proportions don't really change, no matter how big or small the wearer is. But leaving it open to interpretation, I've seen some pretty obviously wrong boxes out there, that some judges still seem reluctant to reject, probably because the language is so loose.

I know the RL doesn't like to slavishly copy the 501st, but they've done the research to the nth degree on this, and we know that OT officers, RFTs, Greedo, and Chewbacca all use the same boxes. The 501st CRLs use the term "approximately" which allows for some variation without making it overly restrictive (we're not asking people to use a micrometer), but makes it easier for people to get *right* and not look visibly different from others standing next to them.

The 501st Imperial Officer's belt boxes (again, same ones the OT RFT's use) call for:

"Dimensions are approximately 2 1/2" (63.5 mm) by 3 1/2" (88.9 mm) by 1" (25.4 mm) thick."

(Note Rogue One officers and RFTs use slightly different dimensions for their belt boxes: "Dimensions are approximately 2" (50.8mm) wide by 3" (76.2 mm) tall by 1" x (25.4mm) thick")

Thoughts?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would the use more general terms for the pants. I suggest to write "the pants have cargo pockets located below each hip". I would not use the term BDU. The real RFT pants in ANH are not BDU pants. They have a different cargo-pocket design than BDU pants.

I would also permit the color light grey/gray for the helmets and not just white.

I went through my ANH screen caps and I cannot find a RFT with a rank badge. I think we should take the rank badges out of the CS.

I am not sure about the belt boxes part. It says "Two (2) aluminum/silver belt boxes proportional to wearer". If we use the term "proportional to wearer" we would need suppliers for different sizes of belt boxes. If we say the belt boxes should be proportional to wearer then we would have to say the same thing about the belt, belt buckle, blaster, holster and helmet if someone is very tall, very short or very heavy. I am more for a one size fits all approach when it comes to equipment.
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added that the helmet can be light grey and removed the "proportional to wearer" from the boxes and added approximate dimensions.

With regard to the BDU-style wording. I think it should be left in there to give applicants good direction when looking for pants. The majority of applicants are using BDU's for this costume, rather than scratch building. BDU-style also implies no modified jeans. The modified jeans wording was removed from this draft because it didn't match the CS guidelines supplied by the LMO.

I'd like to further the discussion on rank badges more. Personally, I'd like to see them kept on the CS because it adds another easy optional for applicants. That's helpful for people that live in places that don't allow prop blasters. I am curious as to what reference was used to put it on the CS when it was originally drafted. As for pip layout, a general outline would be good, but I don't want to over analyze it.

Jim Thatcher
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does RAID Command feel about the proposal?

Jim Thatcher
riva (Riva)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: About the Belt Reply with quote

I think the belt should be allowed to have holes, in HD version if you take a closer look in ANH, the troopers has a lot of holes in their belt to allow adjustment of tightness.[/img]
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riva wrote:
I think the belt should be allowed to have holes, in HD version if you take a closer look in ANH, the troopers has a lot of holes in their belt to allow adjustment of tightness.[/img]

It would be great if you could post screencaps that show that there are extra holes in the RFT ANH belts.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see those shots myself. (and now I may need to watch ANH again, darn, LOL)

I'm willing to believe that's the case, however. SOME of the Imperial belts were adjustable, with extra holes, as well. Others had no extra holes. The buckles for each work the same way, so again, entirely possible they did the same with the belts, as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this screenshot is clear enough, it's not easy to spot.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can see two extra holes between the belt box and the belt buckle. Thank you for posting this. Is he the only one with extra holes in the belt that you saw or are there more of them? It is always good to have more than one reference.
riva (Riva)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PArmstr wrote:
Wow, I can see two extra holes between the belt box and the belt buckle. Thank you for posting this. Is he the only one with extra holes in the belt that you saw or are there more of them? It is always good to have more than one reference.

I did notice some others(not sure if it's the same person), but it's quite hard to capture since they're running or falling down most of the time. It's easier to play it in slow motion than capture the static screen, since you'll find some small black dots moving with the belt together.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riva wrote:
I did notice some others(not sure if it's the same person), but it's quite hard to capture since they're running or falling down most of the time. It's easier to play it in slow motion than capture the static screen, since you'll find some small black dots moving with the belt together.

I do not own an HD version of A New Hope so I was watching a Youtube clip in 1080p HD quality and ran into the same problem. I was not even able to catch the scene you were able to capture. Instead, I saw something that I have never seen before because I was not paying enough attention to the background. There are two RFTs without a helmet when C-3PO is looking for R2. Perhaps we should add the option to leave the helmet off due to the fact that we can see RFTs without a helmet in ANH and in EA/Dice Battle Front 2.

RFT without helmets at 4:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfLyMAHrQE&list=PLFDZ8z9dXRGyMk0XwqTGLAXj62kybU64n

EA/Dice Battle Front 2 research done by Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90727

Last edited by PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss) on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option of leaving the helmet off would really help people, like me, who get headaches from the helmet, or want to be an alien character but have problems with adding the helmet on an alien mask. I would really love to see more alien RFTs in R.A.I.D.

Aliens in R.I.A.D. discussion:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67072&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Battle Front 2 trooper variant without helmet research done by Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco):
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93194
riva (Riva)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PArmstr wrote:
riva wrote:

I do not own an HD version of A New Hope so I was watching a Youtube clip in 1080p HD quality and ran into the same problem. I was not even able to catch the scene you were able to capture. Instead, I saw something that I have never seen before because I was not paying enough attention to the background. There are two RFTs without a helmet when C-3PO is looking for R2. Perhaps we should add the option to leave the helmet off due to the fact that we can see RFTs without a helmet in ANH and in EA/Dice Battle Front 2.

RFT without helmets at 4:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHfLyMAHrQE&list=PLFDZ8z9dXRGyMk0XwqTGLAXj62kybU64n

EA/Dice Battle Front 2 research done by Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90727

Always get surprised to spot something new on HD.
For the helmet, it's better to keep it there since this is the most iconic item on this role, you can get every thing else wrong but still recognizable for this role if you get the helmet right, but not the other way around. We can put the less noticeable features as optional to get more people involved. I doubt that if anyone will love to play this role if they don't like this iconic helmet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> RAID Standards Development -> RAID Standard Revision Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: