Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ed30f02f39f4f9c4b92bc3d5354fbf80Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Make your own adjustable leather Jedi belt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cy_bu_nim (Cy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Make your own adjustable leather Jedi belt. Reply with quote

I like this belt pattern because you can hide the back were it connects as well as it being adjustable for those of us who like to eat then lose weight later on and this belt will still fit you. With this tutorial you can modify your belt any way you see fit. Basically to find your measures for cutting out the leather you need to find your waist size by measuring your waist and not getting the measurement from you pant or belt size. These So, you'll need to find the waist length (plus 6 inches), and the width of the belt 2.5 inches. (Note: Add 6 inches to your waist measurement but you can add more if you like.) This extra amount tucks under the outer part of the belt. You can always go back after you finish the belt and trim off any excess leather you do not need. I use this type belt for my generic Jedi belt and stain with a saddle tan color but am experimenting with canyon tan and mahogany (dark brown). I like using gel stains but any leather stain will do. You can even bevel the edges to make the belt more comfortable to wear. I did not for this tutorial.
The studs which you put on should be spaced the same width of the top strap from the outside post measurement, just underneath the top ball of the post.
The keepers can be sewn together or stapled. The back leather cover piece I used size 20 snaps but you can sew this together just as well.
I hope this helps you out? If you have any questions please reply to this post or PM me. I'll get back to you as fast as I can; I'm a busy person.

1. Make a paper mock-up of the belt first, in order to get more accurate measurements.

2. Hide roll bought from Tandy Leather.

3. Tandy SKU and ITEM number.

4. Cut a straight edge (protect your floor).

5. Cut a long length (6 inches over your waist), approximate 2.5 inch wide belt.

6. Make sure you add 6 inches on your waist measurement. Trim both ends. (I.E. : 32 inch waist add 6 inches equals 38 inch leather strip)

7. Mark 2 inches from one end of belt.

8. Find the center of the belt, at the 2 inch mark.

9. Cut a 1 inch hole at the 2 inch mark. I used a heavy oblong tool.

10. You can use a hand punch and a razor to achieve the same outcome.

11. Cut your top belt stripes .5 to .75 inches. Make them extra-long; again by adding approximately 6-8 inches onto your waist size. This excess will later be cut off once finished. (This is what will go through the buckle ends)

12. To groove your leather or not? Grooving tool pictured (but a compass works just as well). Groove as you see fit. I like to groove both belts.

13. For grooving, dampen your leather first. This makes grooving it much easier. Do not soak your leather! Let it rest a few minutes before grooving.

14. Press firmly with your groover.

15. Finished look.

16. Make sure the leather is fully dried before staining your leather.

17. Work the stain into the leather thoroughly, with the grain of the leather by, rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing….

18. Do not forget to stain the edges. If you want you can stain the whole belt front and back. I like to stain the front and sides.

19. Then let dry and repeat a second or third coat depending on the depth of color you are looking for. After the stain has dried, wipe with a soft cloth. This removes excess stain. Even though the stain says it will not rub off onto your clothing, sometimes a little does. So,.. I do not stain the back for added measures. I also put two protective clear coats over the stained belt/straps/keeps once it dries.

20. Then I place the belt and top strap into a pony for hand stitching them together. Remember one strap is 2 inches from the end flush to the hole you made earlier and the other is 6 inches from the end. Both straps face outwards. You’ll see this better on a later picture. Has you can tell I have a different belt pictured for the stitching pictures.

21. Punch a hole through both the strap and belt with an awl.

22. See the holes. I stitch about an inch of the strap on the belt. You’ll see this better on a later picture.

23. Use two threads to stitch and crisscross them over each other. Tug the string taught. Tie the ends through previous stitching.

24. Time to put on the posts, keepers and buckle. You can even make a cover to hide the back end of the belt where the two ends come together. Turn the snaps to the inside to hide the snaps.

25. Mark center holes for the posts and punch hole to fit the posts. You want the posts to keep the strap on snug not tight. Once you get your 8 or more posts on evenly spaced apart the next thing you need to work on is keepers.

26. To make your two keepers measure once around two straps. Because this is keeping the straps together once it passes back through the buckle onto itself.

27. You are now done with your project. Great job!

28. Then you can work on two pouches. I’ll let you create a tutorial on how to made pouches. Okay, maybe I’ll make one at a later date.

Last edited by cy_bu_nim (Cy) on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
RuiPinho ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nice DYI. Whats the length of the thinest belts? The same as the big one (both?)?
cy_bu_nim (Cy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the length long add 8 or more inches to your waist size. After you finish, cut to desired lengths. Remember, they comeback through the buckle ends.
Lienna ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant, nice tutorial!
cy_bu_nim (Cy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: