Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c64b636dfc860d1e3f4a077667ad17fcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gender-swapped Costumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NerfHerder909 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Gender-swapped Costumes Reply with quote

I did a search for this on the forums, but found some conflicting posts, so I was hoping to get a straight answer here. Are gender-swapped costumes allowed? I'm not talking about Luke in a dress or "sexxxy Han Solo" or whatever, but a woman dressing up as Han Solo, in the standard costume (or a guy dressing up as Leia, for that matter, also with the standard costume).

My understanding, based on the more recent of the posts that I read, was that as long as the costume in question has the required elements needed to pass for formal status, the gender of the person wearing the costume doesn't matter. I'm asking because I'm female, but am really dying to get going on a Han Solo costume. I would be pretty gutted if I invested the time and energy in assembling a solid costume and then couldn't actually join up because gender swaps aren't kosher.
XxKatieKilljoyxX ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing! I adore Han Solo and have already started the cosplay for my own enjoyment, but I'd love to know if it's legal if you follow all the requirements for him to be accepted to join.
NerfHerder909 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to feedback I got on another thread, we're good to go- no issues with gender swapped costumes as long as you have the required costume elements. So that would mean the right hair style for, say, Leia, but I don't think Han's hairstyle is a required part of his costume standards. Although my hair is currently shorter than Han's was for most of the OT, but still.
Ihala ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked someone about hair and was told that Han is not iconic hair so as long as it is natural hair color it's all good.
I have Han on my list of builds, too but I'm starting with Mirax (since she sort of is female Han)
MrTexas (Chris Hummel)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really against it, but you should probably get your hair spot on to do it. You will need to be very convincing to get it approved.

If you get approved in another costume and want to just have an accurate costume to wear at cons and such occasionally that is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. I'm MtF Trans and I want to troop Slave/ Huttslayer Leia and Oola at some point but I'm not entirely sure if they'll approve me (Obviously with make up and wig well done, Costume to the 9s, etc). The base XO doesnt think there'll be a problem but I'm still trying to find as much info to put the odds in my favor.
Mawee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NerfHerder909 wrote:
According to feedback I got on another thread, we're good to go- no issues with gender swapped costumes as long as you have the required costume elements. So that would mean the right hair style for, say, Leia, but I don't think Han's hairstyle is a required part of his costume standards. Although my hair is currently shorter than Han's was for most of the OT, but still.

Look up what drag queens and drag kings do to make them look like what they do on stage....

For men doing women it might be odd but it can be done and women doing men. I try get pictures of me doing for fun... gay friends inspired me from their performance on drag king.

[edited]

Feel silly sharing these cause I put this in the past but I know I do it for Poe Dameron
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MtFGalen2142 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm MtF Trans and I want to troop Slave/ Huttslayer Leia and Oola at some point but I'm not entirely sure if they'll approve me (Obviously with make up and wig well done, Costume to the 9s, etc). The base XO doesnt think there'll be a problem but I'm still trying to find as much info to put the odds in my favor.

The Rebel Legion does not discriminate on the concept of gender or gender identity. As long as the costume is screen accurate with proper hair and makeup, that's all that matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: