Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45be29665b6f3dc9aa35a4aa08e0129eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe Dameron-TLJ-jacket and pants standard discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crema ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
You are my Hero!!!! seriously!

Would these solve problems or make more problems...?
I guess this makes it solid that the jacket is in fact fabric.

Any ideas on how I can make a white shirt look like Poe's shirt color?[/quote]

You can either use coffe ground, tea, or watered down brown dye.
I used coffe for most of my distressing works but it takes time and not too strong, so I would recommend using dye if you want regular color and longer lasting effect. Liquid dyes work the best.
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crema wrote:
BroadSword wrote:
CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
You are my Hero!!!! seriously!

Would these solve problems or make more problems...?
I guess this makes it solid that the jacket is in fact fabric.

Any ideas on how I can make a white shirt look like Poe's shirt color?

You can either use coffe ground, tea, or watered down brown dye.
I used coffe for most of my distressing works but it takes time and not too strong, so I would recommend using dye if you want regular color and longer lasting effect. Liquid dyes work the best.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback and maybe I just need another set of eyes. So it's a brownish tan tint you see? Overall the shirt looks like an off white/ivory-ish color or tan in certain lighting. I have tan and camel dyes, so I'm just trying figure out which will be more accurate.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the tea stain first..

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
marishka (Miranda Brenner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a clear and HD back shot has been found and there is definetly a seam on the trousers.

LastMaxStanding ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that The Last Jedi has been available to view at home, obsessively, on repeat— does anyone else suspect that Poe may have had a different jacket for reshoots/pickups?

The way the jacket reflects light/has a sheen to it changes. I used to think it changed between scenes (e.g. the ship vs Crait caves) but I just noticed a change between shots within a scene (as Poe takes the bridge at 1:33:35). Oscar Issac's hair also appeared to change in that shot, which is why I suspect it's a reshoot/pick up.

I also suppose it's possible that the lighting was different for the reshoots. But I'm starting to think the jacket he had for pickups was either a different material entirely or a less-waxed version of the same material.
Poe solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having gone over every image I can find and watching the film on Blu-ray, I am unconvinced on point b on the pants details below:

Pants
1. Utility trousers
a. Poe’s utility trousers are brown and can have dark olive undertones. Pant color should be lighter than the jacket.
"b. The trouser feature Patch utility pockets on either side that extend upward to form the belt loops"
c. There should be no pockets in the back

There is no solid evidence of this actually being the way they have been made on the film, all images, both still and on the film are too dark to see the detail, or its covered up by the jacket. I have a 6 foot screen at home and I've paused the film at all the points in which Poe is turned to the camera, and it cannot be seen, I am happy to be proved wrong on this. However a detail that is offered but not required is the riding seam across the back of the trousers, much like Han Solo's pants in the original trilogy, this detail is clearly seen in the film, I am surprised its not a requirement. No pockets on the back is correct.

I have a kit I'm putting together but for the time being it's on hold until some clarity is provided on the pants details.

One item I am struggling with is the enclosure clips for the jacket, living in the UK I am having difficulties finding a source for them, I hope someone on this forum can help.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poe solo wrote:
Having gone over every image I can find and watching the film on Blu-ray, I am unconvinced on point b on the pants details below:

Pants
1. Utility trousers
a. Poe’s utility trousers are brown and can have dark olive undertones. Pant color should be lighter than the jacket.
"b. The trouser feature Patch utility pockets on either side that extend upward to form the belt loops"
c. There should be no pockets in the back

There is no solid evidence of this actually being the way they have been made on the film, all images, both still and on the film are too dark to see the detail, or its covered up by the jacket. I have a 6 foot screen at home and I've paused the film at all the points in which Poe is turned to the camera, and it cannot be seen, I am happy to be proved wrong on this. However a detail that is offered but not required is the riding seam across the back of the trousers, much like Han Solo's pants in the original trilogy, this detail is clearly seen in the film, I am surprised its not a requirement. No pockets on the back is correct.

I have a kit I'm putting together but for the time being it's on hold until some clarity is provided on the pants details.

One item I am struggling with is the enclosure clips for the jacket, living in the UK I am having difficulties finding a source for them, I hope someone on this forum can help.

The belt loops as described are clearly visible in these pictures.

Look in between the red arc here:

And the yellow circle here:

The color of the pants is clearly visible as well.

You can see the shade differential between the pants and jacket in this image. It also shows the riding seam, which is mentioned as an option, but is not required.

As far as the closures go, I think a passable version could be made by pairing hook and bar closures.

You can see the screen ones here, and see how small they are?

-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: