Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=86f40e2423dd360ee24aef13b19cd1f7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo WIP - Ceris_Galstan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceris_Galstan ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Amilyn Holdo WIP - Ceris_Galstan Reply with quote

Hello there!

I'm putting this up to document my build for Vice Admiral Holdo and hopefully get some feedback along the way Wink I am also in the Admirals in Purple Facebook group as well...they are so helpful and wonderful!

This will be my first Rebel Legion build and I am very excited about it. I have two approved costumes in the 501st Legion (ROTJ Royal Guard and Seventh Sister).

So here's what I have so far:

Tiara, Unpainted Blaster, & Bracelets
Tiara/Blaster/Bracelets Image

Earrings
Finished Earrings Image
I don't have pierced ears, so I found a pair of clip earrings. I then took some purple bits off of another set of earrings I found and made the swirls out of jewelry wire and hung it off the clip earrings with wire as well.

Purple Bits
Purple Drops Image

Clip Earrings
Earring Base Image

Rings
I have a cluster ring, but want to touch up some of the details before I post it. I have an oval ring on the way as well.

Boots have been acquired, but I may need to adjust the color to match the dress fabric.
Ceris_Galstan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's where I may need some feedback...

I acquired some fabric from a fellow Holdo off the Facebook group and was concerned about the color. The color seems to shift depending on what light it's under. In sunlight, it's more purple. Under regular light bulbs it goes to more of a brown.

Will this color work, or do I need to try to dye it so it's less purple? Any feedback is super appreciated! Smile

Sample 1: Regular Light Bulb
Sample 1 Image

Sample 2: In Sunlight
Sample 2 Image

Sample 3: Indoors
Sample 3 Image

Another Sample
Another View
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the pantone scale the standards call for:

Personally, I think the fabric you have is reading a bit too purple or pink depending on the light. The puces in the pantone scale have a browner undertone.

Here's a comparison:

Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Ceris_Galstan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

Looking for a little more guidance for the fabric color. I've decided to turn over the dress to a local seamstress who has done excellent work for other local RL and 501st members.

Anyway, we're trying to see if we can dye the fabric I have to be less pink/purple. She sent me over a few swatches...can someone let me know if any of these are getting close or have tips to get it closer? I think (1) Light Gray is in the ballpark, but would rather get a judge's opinion before dying all the fabric.

No Flash
Swatches NO Flash

With Flash
Swatches WITH Flash

Any feedback would be great...thank you very much!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm the light grey is closest, but it is reading rather dark.

This fabric looked promising:

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/Catalog?Keyword=44354

For dye formulas, these combos from the RIT site look good, but make sure you test the color. You don't want to end up with a straight brown- there should still be a purple-pink tone so they may need to be tweaked further. (Note there is a typo on the picture- it should be French Roast not French Toast. That one may be too dark or too brown, though.)

The formulas are found here:

https://www.ritdye.com/color-formulas/?type=197&hue=0&collection=0&pantone=0

The fabric color on the costume is a pain in the tuckus. Fingers crossed!
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Ceris_Galstan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback!

All right...I'm back with more swatches! It looks like I may need to start with white fabric instead of the mauve...it just gets too dark no matter what colors we use to dye it.

This photo shows new colors used on both white and my original fabric. I'm leaning towards 2 or 4 on the white, but would like feedback...am I getting closer?
NEW Swatches
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceris_Galstan wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!

All right...I'm back with more swatches! It looks like I may need to start with white fabric instead of the mauve...it just gets too dark no matter what colors we use to dye it.

This photo shows new colors used on both white and my original fabric. I'm leaning towards 2 or 4 on the white, but would like feedback...am I getting closer?
NEW Swatches

Oof- those are coming out way too brown. I think you may need to experiment a bit. The original color actually looks closest in those.

One of the ladies posted this one, may be worth a swatch? *edit* It looks like it is sold out. :/

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p204178_44354-mocha-brown-jersey-knit
Ceris_Galstan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack...I just don't have the right skills to dye it the right color. I'm honestly not sure where to go from here Confused

Let's try another route...I was looking at another Holdo thread and saw this:

Kelitchka wrote:
Well, that's what I get for using my phone to post. Pictures below:

Based off of that, would 409 Mauve 2017 or 13390 be better to use instead? My original fabric was from the same company (Stylish Fabrics) in 406-MAUVE-DK
Swatch Card Image
I've been told it comes across as too purple. Mauve Pale maybe?

I'm just hoping to nail down something approve-able for fabric...the dress is the last thing I'm working on for approval Wink
Kelitchka ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a small apartment and no in house laundry - I'm also trying to find something I won't have to dye. I'm still leaning toward Mauve 2017 - 409 weight but if you hear of something better, let me know?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceris_Galstan wrote:
Ack...I just don't have the right skills to dye it the right color. I'm honestly not sure where to go from here Confused

Let's try another route...I was looking at another Holdo thread and saw this:

Kelitchka wrote:
Well, that's what I get for using my phone to post. Pictures below:

Based off of that, would 409 Mauve 2017 or 13390 be better to use instead? My original fabric was from the same company (Stylish Fabrics) in 406-MAUVE-DK
Swatch Card Image
I've been told it comes across as too purple. Mauve Pale maybe?

I'm just hoping to nail down something approve-able for fabric...the dress is the last thing I'm working on for approval Wink

My personal opinion is that the Mauve 2017 looks like it will work in these pictures. It is super difficult to tell from swatches. Confused

The Mauve Pale looks ok in the link to the swatch sheet you attached, but in the pictures that are next to the arm in this post the bottom one looks almost too tan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: