Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c1b9296ca9cbc1af10f5c5599451e9c4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

KMan's OT Pilot WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laying it all out for fun... time to start stitching webbing!

The boots:

Code Cylinders and Compad in pocket. Perfect fit!

Has anyone done a paint guide to ID the correct colors to use? I know there is a chart in a sticky post, but the actual colors are not ID'd. I'm sure the RL is usually all about "close enough" but I prefer to NAIL the screen-used colors if at all possible... usually this sort of thing has been covered before, by someone.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the blue color is not accurate. (Though still acceptable for approval.)
Apparently someone has confirmed that the blue is actually gray on the real props.

Here is a com pad that I recently painted.

I used colors that I had on hand.

Krylon Classic Gray
and Krylon Cherry Red
(The exact Cherry Red that I have is an older discontinued version. When searching for more I noticed that there are a few variations of the Cherry Red from Krylon now. Each having a different color cap. I have not tested any of these newer versions, so I do not know how much the color may have changed from the old version or if there is a difference between the newer varieties that I have seen.)

David L.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David. So are you using Krylon spray paints? Masking and spraying? Or are these enamel, like Testors model paints? Or Acrylics of some sort?

I had been thinking I'd use the Admiral Gray, French Blue and Gloss Black that I have on hand from my Stormtrooper armor, but wasn't sure if those were accurate (enough). They look similar to the graphic. (although I guess maybe the blue is out) I'd just need a red. But if they're the wrong kinds of paint...
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the rattle can spray paints.
I painted it all with the base coat white and when that was dry I then worked on the other colors, masking and painting one color at a time for the raised details.
For the white recessed strips inside the darker raised parts I simply cut strips out of a cereal box cardboard that fit into the recesses.
After they were sprayed and dry, I used a large sewing needle to stab and pull out the cardboard strips.

*I do not know how accurate the colors/paints I used are to the actual colors on the real props. I am just guessing like everyone else and using paints that are readily available.

David L.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Flak Vest finally arrived! I think it's good, although I'll make one or two small tweaks, I think.

Cut all my strapping for the belt and ejection harness:

Tested sizing with binder clips:

... and started sewing it all together!

I haven't attached the Velcro yet, or the side loops for the mini flares, but everything seems like it should work.

(Compad in photo was a freebie rubber one that I was gifted... I will still probably paint my resin compad and use that instead)

Still need to get myself to JoAnns and buy some fabric for the leg flares. Then, once I get my chest box, I think I could technically submit this for approval? Helmet should be here soon, but between assembly and painting, that's likely to take a bit longer.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest box achieved! VERY happy with this.

I did end up sewing the last of the ejection harness strapping and Velcro, the other night, and inserting the mini flares. So that's 100% done. Ok, 99.5% done, as I still want to sew a couple of loops through the mini flares to hold them in place and avoid loss, even though they're in there quite tight. But for submission purposes, the ejection harness is done.

Oh, I still need to swap out the side clips on my flak vest to the more accurate ones, but that's quick and easy.

I'm still waiting for the right fabric for my leg flare holder, and then technically I could submit. My first order didn't work out, but another order for potentially workable fabric has been made. (My local JoAnn's had nothing worthwhile in stock, and I won't have time to go to the Garment District downtown anytime soon.) Fingers crossed that works out! I almost wish I had just gone with the webbing version. Being a stickler for screen accuracy is tough sometimes, LOL!

My helmet hasn't arrived yet, which is annoying, but I guess I have more time anyway, since the leg flare holder isn't done. Not technically needed for submission, but I'd like to have it done anyway, to submit a complete costume, if at all possible. We'll see how the timing plays out. I still need to settle on a design anyway...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/x-wing-pilot-episode-iv-vi-y-wing-pilot-episode-iv/

Also, from the Archive: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851

QUESTION FOR THE JUDGES:

With regard to the chest box hose, the standards say:

"the other end should connect to the suit in some screen-accurate manner (tucked up into the flak vest, attached to flightsuit etc)"

I was thinking of attaching the hose on my left side, slightly forward, above the belt. (both the gray belt, and the internal "belt"/waist line of the flight suit) Sort of halfway in between where Luke has his in this photo (this just seems a little high and forward, to me):

... and where the model in this photo has theirs (this just seems a little TOO far to the side, to me):

Can someone confirm that this plan is acceptable? Because I've also recently been told that some judges want it above the belt, and others below, with no apparent consistency.

In other news, I finally have gotten my hands on the perfect OD fabric for the leg flares, so I'll be working on those ASAP! Still waiting on my helmet, so I suppose we'll have to see if it makes it to me in time to build before I submit, else I may just submit without it. I'd like to get the costume on the books, and don't want the helmet to hold me back! I've been toying with designs, so hopefully the helmet build and paint will go quickly, once I get it in...
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose should always be above the belt, never below it. The placement of the hose elbow doesn't have to be exact, it can be farther to your side or a little farther toward your front, as long as it's on the left side of your body and above the belt (and not on your back) it should be fine.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
The hose should always be above the belt, never below it. The placement of the hose elbow doesn't have to be exact, it can be farther to your side or a little farther toward your front, as long as it's on the left side of your body and above the belt (and not on your back) it should be fine.

Excellent! That fits perfectly with my plan, then. Thank you!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leg Flare Holder:

Since I finally got my hands on the perfect fabric, this past weekend I finally got some time to actually sew this sucker. I found B. Schultheis' pattern buried in a thread somewhere (edit: here's the thread), and put it all together! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. My sewing is not as perfect as I would have liked, but it still looks great unless you're looking at it 1' from your face. (stop sniffing my knee, you weirdo! LOL) The fabric is dead on, and I couldn't be happier. It looks a bit oddly brown in these indoor photos, but you can see it's really spot-on, when you see it in person and in the natural light photo. I have no idea what weight this vintage military canvas is, but these holder is practically bulletproof!

Pinning...

Completed cloth strips:

Laying it out with flares:

Stitching pockets...

Done!

Natural light:

I need to buy a new rivet gun, apparently, since mine has gone missing, which is really annoying. Or come up with another way to pin these into place.

Otherwise, all that's left to do is paint my compad, and I could probably submit this costume, sans helmet. Smile

Speaking of, I just got word that my helmet kit is FINALLY shipping. So hopefully this week, that'll come in. Then my preparations will be complete! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat wave notwithstanding, I got some work done this weekend, even if not as much as I hoped.

I masked for days, it felt like, prepping the Compad for painting, but I believe it's done, and I'm reasonably happy with the results. I'll do a little more cleanup, and perhaps a clearcoat on top, but otherwise, this is ready to wear!

So much masking!

Done!

And my helmet kit arrived on Friday! I had to order the acrylic cement, which fortunately came today, so I can actually start assembly, perhaps tonight! Woohoo!

I have sketched out some designs, but still need to fine tune things now that I actually have the helmet in hand. With any luck, I can get the design dialed in this week, and perhaps initial assembly. Then painting this weekend? Fingers crossed...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial helmet assembly complete!

Laying out the shell and inner mohawk strip for assembly:

Gluing and clamping!

NEED MOAR CLAMPZ!!! LOL

Both halves clamped and curing!

Ready for top cover strip:

Since most of you have built these before, I'm sure you know that attaching the top strip is a fast and furious step, so there was no time for in-process photos.

BUT. Now that that's done, it's time to design! I THINK I've come up with a design that I'm happy with. I'm reasonably sure there would be no issue passing, since it's mostly in-universe graphics. But still... thoughts?

Disclaimer: Obviously this is a paper mockup, and the final product will be more finished and more evenly placed... I might tweak some sizes a tad, too. Oh, and I intend to bring the yellow hazard strips that are on the mohawk cap down to the sides of the cap, too, and possibly to the two little squares at the front of the cheeks, too. The font at the back reads "KMAN" in Aurebesh. Smile

Front:

Back right:

Back left (I think I want to stretch out the broken triangle so it comes farther down, move the text up and double the font height):

Left: (obviously the pinstriping will be longer to encircle the whole area... I was tired of cutting strips of paper!)

Left Front:

Right back:

Right front:

Obviously my Pilot character will hail from Corellia, given this homage to blood stripes. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the helmet design! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I love the nod to Corellia.
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - WIP
Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - Planning Stages
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, my design pattern is 98% dialed in. A few small tweaks in Illustrator and I'll be ready to export the graphics to my vinyl die cutting machine. Very Happy

On the down side, I needed to order the dark red used for the top stripe and blood stripes that make up the majority of the design, and I won't get it until the end of the week. (Friday, assuming no delays) So unless actual formal decoration, painting, AND the remainder of the assembly go REALLY fast this weekend, I suspect it'll be another full week, at least, until I can finish up the helmet. Sad

On the up side, the helmet is literally all that remains to be done. Really torn on whether I want to just submit without it, or wait until it's all together. I guess I don't actually have any troops lined up for a while anyway, so it probably doesn't matter, from that perspective. Still frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: