Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=01351e9ae871101414b46c3610c2cc09Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another ANH Senator Leia Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of the Jedi (Anastasia Walat)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Another ANH Senator Leia Build Reply with quote

Since I have been having too much difficulty with Lothal Leia lately. I have decided to switch over to from a version of Leia no one seems to have done to the version everyone does. Very Happy I've already learned a few tricks from some ANH Leias in my area. There are plenty of tutorials to help me through this one.

So far I have:
8 yards of Jet Set white fabric (I am 5'0", only a inch shorter than Carrie Fisher) so that should be plenty for dress, lining, and hood I hope
A white vinyl remnant to make a belt or at least a mock-up one
White leather remnants (though I'm not sure they are wide enough all the way around for the belt, hence the vinyl)
metal plates from scrapbooking section of JoAnn's and button covers for belt plates
White knee high boots from a resale shop (a lucky find)
Hair extensions recommended from Sally's Beauty supply, can't find an affordable color match for my hair though, so I also got the temp hair dye. May not be my final hair solution, but it will be good for bun practice.

I also just ordered the Butterick 5174 Leia pattern and Leia Ruby's blaster from Amazon. Not sure what modifications this pattern might need, but it should work better than my original frankenpattern plan of Christmas Pageant Angel with high neck collar shirt pattern.

Will hopefully start working on this in either May or June at my next sewing class. My instructor might even have a used sewing machine I can buy from him if it still works.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how well that pattern will work for accuracy too. Please do share with us what you learn when you get it. Leia Buns

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Sword of the Jedi (Anastasia Walat)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started making the costume. To answer the question about the pattern, there are some good things and bad things about it. I would completely disregard any sewing instructions it gives you and just follow Pam's guide. Also the belt pattern is pretty useless. But if you are a beginner sewer like me and hate pattern drafting and just want a basic Leia dress pattern for various sizes at least XS to XL, I think it works. You may need to adjust to make the neck hole a little smaller or make the hood longer, but as long as you don't overspend for a pattern, (I paid $50 for mine, I've seen it go for $100 on eBay), I think it can be useful for people doing this dress for the first time. Especially if you also have use for the Luke Skywalker pattern that comes with it.

I'm looking at boots now. I have a potential pair from the thrift store, but I was curious if these were approvable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRX3314/?coliid=IVUR1UV2EGFBZ&colid=2F0XJSNYRIYSS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I am normally a U.S. size 6.5 but have wide calves and they say the calves on this boot run small. But they say the boot measures approximately 14 inches around. I can fit if it truly is 14 inches and planned to get a size 7. But I wonder if that is enough. Would an 8 be better? Has anyone used these boots for their own Leia. Any recommendations? Keep in mind I know nothing about boot alteration. Though I do know a boot repair place that could stretch them a little. The boots are polyurethane and not leather though. Does polyurethane stretch? Anybody know?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to the boots. They can be approved. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: