Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d02100386f0ec72e85658004307367c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about accent/speaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scavengersteph ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Question about accent/speaking Reply with quote

I've looked and looked and can't find any info about this. I've got a Rey costume I was going to submit for approval/legion membership (have to retake the photos before I can) but before I do I wanted to know the official policy regarding characters with defined accents. Do I have to be able to imitate it spot on before I can join? I know the point of the costume standards is so that we don't detract from the experience when the kiddos meet their favorite characters. Often the face characters at the land of Mouse won't speak (or so I heard) so as not to detract from the experience of meeting those characters. Is there a policy regarding accents (for like Rey, Mon Mothma, Obi-Wan, etc)?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, there's no requirement for speaking like a particular character. You can if you want to but there's no rule saying that you have to. When I'm trooping with face characters, the Leias and Lukes, Hans and Obi-Wans rarely sound like the actors (or even look exactly like them) and the kids still don't seem to care much.

There are a few instances where a more "character-like" voice would be required but that's for very few characters. In fact, the only characters I can think of would be Chewbacca and other Wookiees ('cause I Wookiee shouldn't be speaking an Earth language!) and Darth Vader.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Pilot Mentor - Alpha Base Member

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fear_the_beard ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not required at all, but it is a nice bonus. I always do the accent when I wear my ROTS Obi-Wan and the kids do notice and enjoy it. If you can do an accent, that's awesome, but being comfortable while doing it is key. If the prospect of doing an accent makes one feel too anxious or self-conscious, don't bother with it, because the kids will pick up on that. The accent certainly can make the experience more immersive for some kids, but being comfortable and at ease while doing one is key.
scavengersteph ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Nah, there's no requirement for speaking like a particular character. You can if you want to but there's no rule saying that you have to. When I'm trooping with face characters, the Leias and Lukes, Hans and Obi-Wans rarely sound like the actors (or even look exactly like them) and the kids still don't seem to care much.

There are a few instances where a more "character-like" voice would be required but that's for very few characters. In fact, the only characters I can think of would be Chewbacca and other Wookiees ('cause I Wookiee shouldn't be speaking an Earth language!) and Darth Vader.

Yeah, I can see how that would be weird for a Wookie to be talking. Thanks for the reply!
scavengersteph ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear_the_beard wrote:
Nope, not required at all, but it is a nice bonus. I always do the accent when I wear my ROTS Obi-Wan and the kids do notice and enjoy it. If you can do an accent, that's awesome, but being comfortable while doing it is key. If the prospect of doing an accent makes one feel too anxious or self-conscious, don't bother with it, because the kids will pick up on that. The accent certainly can make the experience more immersive for some kids, but being comfortable and at ease while doing one is key.

Thanks. I haven't tried to master her particular accent yet. Whenever I try I get self-conscious and abandon the attempt. I can sound just like her in my head. But not so much when I try to talk aloud. I can do a generic British accent decently enough but it's a real stereotype of one. I do plan to try to keep plugging away at sounding a little bit more like her. But nice to know it's not a requirement for getting a costume approved or joining the Legion fun.
Fear_the_beard ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scavengersteph wrote:
Fear_the_beard wrote:

Thanks. I haven't tried to master her particular accent yet. Whenever I try I get self-conscious and abandon the attempt. I can sound just like her in my head. But not so much when I try to talk aloud. I can do a generic British accent decently enough but it's a real stereotype of one. I do plan to try to keep plugging away at sounding a little bit more like her. But nice to know it's not a requirement for getting a costume approved or joining the Legion fun.

If you are really passionate about it, record yourself on your phone, listen and repeat. We ALL have that opportunity now. IF you are passionate about it. Obviously it is not a requirement, but if you believe it is something you would like to do that would be fun for you and the kids, practice! Very Happy Rey, these are the first steps.

In all seriousness, hearing it is the first step. If you can hear it and have a passion for it, pursue it. Practice. But one way or the other, you are bringing hope and joy to a child by wearing the costume. Do what feels best for you and be proud of yourself. If I can help, please let me know. May The Force be with you!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually really interested in this. I'm in the planning stages for a Zeb costume. I'm going for a realistic approach and I want to try being in character. With Chewie it is fairly easy to do this, but Zeb would be a challenge both to get his accent and be in character as I've never done something on that level before.

Where does one go for dialect coaching/advice? Any recommendations?
scavengersteph ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
I'm actually really interested in this. I'm in the planning stages for a Zeb costume. I'm going for a realistic approach and I want to try being in character. With Chewie it is fairly easy to do this, but Zeb would be a challenge both to get his accent and be in character as I've never done something on that level before.

Where does one go for dialect coaching/advice? Any recommendations?

I asked my coworker who is an actor for tips. I don't know what Zeb's accent is exactly. (I sadly haven't gotten to Rebels yet. Still working through Clone Wars.)

For Rey, her tip was to start with learning a cockney accent as it would help get some of the muscle movement down. She also said to just watch Rey on youtube over and over and practice in a mirror to watch the movement in my face. The principle would ultimately be the same for Zeb. Find an accent that is a bulding block for Zeb and work on that one then build from there.

I attended a cosplay panel at Salt Lake Comic Con I think last year that was about taking your cosplay to the next level. One of the panelists recommended the book Accents: A Manual for Actors by Robert Blumenfeld. I haven't been able to track down a copy yet but I believe it's designed to teach the phonetic alphabet and help with learning the various muscle movements needed for the accents. There's an edition that comes with audio CDs. Maybe there's an e book version that has teh media files included. I don't know.
Fear_the_beard ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have nothing to offer for actual acreddited voice acting coaching. All I have is the fact that since I have been able to talk, I've been doing voices. But I am happy to give my opinion on how I will would approach any character. Zeb for instance: he has some common cockney accent, but it's not full blown cockney. To me, he has more New Zealand and a little Australian mixed with a bit of cockney. If you ever want to talk about it Matt, just message me. I LOVE voices!

Cockney? For Rey?! I respectfully disagree. Rey is about as far away from Cockney as I can imagine. Rey is more of your typical, proper Queen's English accent. The UK members I am sure can fill in the banks more properly than I, but cockney seems like the absolute opposite direction to go for Rey. Cockney, in terms of the popular lexicon in the USA is more Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins. Rey is more like Mary Poppins. That's very much a simplification, but it's the best I have off the top of my head..
scavengersteph ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear_the_beard wrote:
Well, I have nothing to offer for actual acreddited voice acting coaching. All I have is the fact that since I have been able to talk, I've been doing voices. But I am happy to give my opinion on how I will would approach any character. Zeb for instance: he has some common cockney accent, but it's not full blown cockney. To me, he has more New Zealand and a little Australian mixed with a bit of cockney. If you ever want to talk about it Matt, just message me. I LOVE voices!

Cockney? For Rey?! I respectfully disagree. Rey is about as far away from Cockney as I can imagine. Rey is more of your typical, proper Queen's English accent. The UK members I am sure can fill in the banks more properly than I, but cockney seems like the absolute opposite direction to go for Rey. Cockney, in terms of the popular lexicon in the USA is more Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins. Rey is more like Mary Poppins. That's very much a simplification, but it's the best I have off the top of my head..

She just started with Cockney to help loosen the mouth. Then build from there to start rounding out the tones and bringing it more forward. She was going off memory of Rey. And I haven't even attempted Cockney because I know so many tend to get it so wrong and I don't want to offend. I honestly didn't understand a lot of what she was saying, which is another factor in why I haven't attempted to follow her advice yet.
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help smiling at the idea of a Cockney Rey. Nuffin wrong wiv a bit of Sarf Lanndan, na'mean?

"Oi, getcha 'ands off me droid or I'll stick me staff where the suns don't shine, awright?"

I'd say she's quite BBC Radio 2 in tone.
AyaNa Bashu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scavengersteph wrote:
Fear_the_beard wrote:

She just started with Cockney to help loosen the mouth. Then build from there to start rounding out the tones and bringing it more forward. She was going off memory of Rey. And I haven't even attempted Cockney because I know so many tend to get it so wrong and I don't want to offend. I honestly didn't understand a lot of what she was saying, which is another factor in why I haven't attempted to follow her advice yet.

If your co-worker wants you to round out the sounds I’d recommend Australian or South African to start with. It’s would achieve the same effect, and they’re easier to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: