Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e459bbfd09a52ae7b8f253670a0b8e0cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Peasant Padme Belt Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Peasant Padme Belt Tutorial Reply with quote

I have been telling myself for years that I need to do this, so at long last, here is my take on Padme's belt.

I had the lucky chance to see the real costume while I was still working on mine, so I got nose-to-the-glass with the costume and tried to capture every angle of the costume that I could on camera. This is what I came up with:

The belt closes over the left hip, which the tie-off of the top layer of blue cloth conceals. The under layer of blue fabric is only slightly longer than the brown belt, to allow for overlap, but the top layer of blue fabric is much longer, to allow you to tie it at your hip and let the ends hang down.

Traced over in photoshop, here is a clearer diagram of what I did:

I am fairly sure that my placement of the lines and dots on the front and sides is correct, but the back is a little more imagined. In the end, that is the placement that worked with my waist size.

So, how did I get there? First, let's look at materials:

-The base of the belt is a fairly heavy brown material with an obvious weave. I used a wool, but you could go heavier.
-The blue is made of two layers, one below the belt and one on top. I used a couple of packets of cheese cloth from the grocery store and dyed them blue with RIT dye. The backing piece is folded into four layers while the top was folded once more into 8 layers. (Side note, I also used cheese cloth for the wrist wraps.)
-The diagonal lines across the base of the belt are embroidered in a glossy brown thread about the same color as the base fabric.
-The circles are embroidered by hand using a yellow embroidery thread.
-I used a wooden 'bead' for the main circle in the front. I filled in the main hole at the top with putty, then drilled four holes in the middle that I fed some wire through to make button loops in the back.
-The red bead on top of that was molded out of Sculpy clay, painted red, and then finished with clear nail polish for some shine.

The steps I followed to put together the belt are:

1. Cut out a rectangle a little longer than my waist and twice as wide as I wanted the belt to be (plus seam allowance). We will be sewing this into a tube, with the back seam hidden in the middle of the back side of the belt.

2. This is where I should have flat-lined the brown base fabric with something heavier or embroidery stabilizer. It would have kept my embroidery from puckering later.

3. Figure out where you want your diagonal lines and trace them out with a marking pencil on your fabric. See below how the embroidery lines wrap over the top and bottom of the belt. That means that you will want to sew beyond what is visible on top of the belt.

4. You will be sewing this embroidery on your sewing machine, but you don't need an embroidery machine to do this. Instead, you will use your machine's zig-zag stitch. Set an appropriate stitch width and then set the stitch length as short as you can. Once you have the settings right, sew right along the lines you just drew. This will take a long time and a lot of thread, because of the short stitch length, but it's much faster than hand embroidery.

5. Draw out where you want the circles in your marking pencil again, then put your belt material into an embroidery hoop and begin to stitch by hand. I found it easiest to do this pattern if I stitched a dotted line around the circle, then added the longer 'spokes' of the wheel. Notice above how some of the circles wrap over the top of the belt, so keep that in mind when you are figuring out placement.

6. Now fold the fabric into a long tube, sewing right sides together. Press the seams, turn it right-side-out, and press it again to get the top and bottom edges creased. Turn the right and left ends of the belt inside the tube and stitch the ends closed by hand or with your machine.

7. At this stage, I hand-stitched the blue backing and top layer to the belt by tacking them in a few places, then attached the disk in the center front. I then used some large hooks and bars to make the closure on the left hip.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: