Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a413a11a8d7b218ad7dbc0d210375b40Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Training/Resistance Rey WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Training/Resistance Rey WIP Reply with quote

Have:

To do:
    Modify the pants according to EmeraldB's "How to" make Resistance Rey pants
    Dye & weather my arm wraps
    Put staff parts together + paint & weather
    Purchase linen & faux leather to wrap around staff

Last edited by Padakin () on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on dyeing the arm wraps? I've tried with tea and they come out too orange.

Or leave as is and just weather the edges?
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padakin wrote:
Any suggestions on dyeing the arm wraps? I've tried with tea and they come out too orange.

Or leave as is and just weather the edges?

I painted mine. Laid them out in the garage and lightly misted them with spray paint. Worked well. If you are doing TLJ Rey, you can still do this, but also roll them up and stand them on end and hit the ends with another coat of paint (more than you used on the flat part of the wraps) in order to make the edges of the wraps darker than the rest of the wraps.

Any regular tan/brown/grey/black flat (glossy tends to do weird things on fabric in my experience) spray paint will work, but if you have Design Master, it's the very best - goes on nice, dries super fast, and makes nice color on fabric - apply it very lightly from a distance of about 24" away. Do several treatments - remember you can always add more, but it's hard to take away.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the trousers, I might make a suggestion. I tried to do mine according to the online tutorials and messed them up. I'm not sure how experiences a seamstress/tailor you are, but make sure you cut them very carefully...or just don't cut them at all. After my first mistake, where the pants didn't go back together right/were crooked due to my somehow messing up the cuts on one leg, I simply put the pants on inside out, drew the lines I wanted for the seams, took them off, made sure things were even, and then sewed the seams without cutting anything. That way, if you mess up, you can just take the seam out and redo it - not a fatal mistake at all.

Here's now mine came out with this technique.

https://flic.kr/p/253ZZ5U

https://flic.kr/p/269979B

Here are my arm wraps. I did mostly gray on the edges.

https://flic.kr/p/23oioGh

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
As for the trousers, I might make a suggestion. I tried to do mine according to the online tutorials and messed them up. I'm not sure how experiences a seamstress/tailor you are, but make sure you cut them very carefully...or just don't cut them at all. After my first mistake, where the pants didn't go back together right/were crooked due to my somehow messing up the cuts on one leg, I simply put the pants on inside out, drew the lines I wanted for the seams, took them off, made sure things were even, and then sewed the seams without cutting anything. That way, if you mess up, you can just take the seam out and redo it - not a fatal mistake at all.

Here's now mine came out with this technique.

https://flic.kr/p/253ZZ5U

https://flic.kr/p/269979B

Here are my arm wraps. I did mostly gray on the edges.

https://flic.kr/p/23oioGh

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I am very novice at sewing so I will definitely try this first for the seams. I don't want to end up with short shorts I can't put back together haha. I'm doing training/resistance so it's the short brown padded pants. But I will definitely keep this in mind when I upgrade my Jedi Rey. Yours look perfect !
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padakin wrote:

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I am very novice at sewing so I will definitely try this first for the seams. I don't want to end up with short shorts I can't put back together haha. I'm doing training/resistance so it's the short brown padded pants. But I will definitely keep this in mind when I upgrade my Jedi Rey. Yours look perfect !

Of course! We're all in this crazy thing together! Smile

And I'm a 100% self-taught mostly novice too, so I try to make things easy. And I ended up with short shorts I couldn't put back together on my first set. Smile

And oh, ok. Gotcha on which costume you are doing. Honestly, Rey in TLJ is so annoying in the costume department. How many outfits can one former scavenger have? We have a joke in my local group that she stopped at the intergalactic Old Navy for some retail therapy because seriously - new clothes in every scene! (And don't get me started on the "hero" outfit, which just magically appears once she gets to Snoke's ship - she even had time to smith a new belt in transit! Rolling Eyes ) So sometimes I'm not sure which ones folks are referring to. But I'm with you now. I still painted my other beige arm wraps, too. The only ones I dyed were my grey ones. I used regular RIT and RIT DyeMore (I think) in combination. I made my Resistance Rey pants using the EmeraldB tutuorial - my first knee pads were too small, though, but second ones worked!

Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D print staff parts are painted and weathered. Now to let dry and see if I need to add more.
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the pants in the mail and the sizing is a lie Confused Need to find another pair.
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Staff is coming along. I assembled it real quick to see where I can cut the pole.

I made the mistake of painting it before putting the pieces on. I had to sand it all down again and lube it up to fit the pieces on. Now it's assembled and drying in a corner.
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Staff is almost complete. Only waiting on rust paint from the US because I can't find it here in Canada

Said screw it and commissioned a resistance vest + gauntlets and bag from ChicAndGeeks on etsy, will just go full resistance Rey

Only thing left to do after that is to cut my pants, make the kneepads and weather them
QueenJane ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello! I am also working on Training Rey. I also stink st sewing. That being said, i picked up a pair of pants at Goodwill and I think they turned out pretty good! I did the below the knee cut so I could make the knee pads. For the thigh seam, i did a pintuck and then whip stitched it. I was afraid to make that upper cut and this worked out pretty good!
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QueenJane wrote:
hello! I am also working on Training Rey. I also stink st sewing. That being said, i picked up a pair of pants at Goodwill and I think they turned out pretty good! I did the below the knee cut so I could make the knee pads. For the thigh seam, i did a pintuck and then whip stitched it. I was afraid to make that upper cut and this worked out pretty good!

Awesome! That's what I did too. I found a nice pair of faux suede pants on ebay, but they were lighter than the photos. I plan to dye them, then make the "fake" cut above the knee as well. I am a novice seamstress, so seeing other novices on the Rey facebook group manage to do it, gives me hope haha. Do you mind posting a photo of yours? Smile
QueenJane ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that page has been amazing for me.

Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QueenJane wrote:
that page has been amazing for me.

They look great! I hope mine turn out OK hahaha
Padakin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Dyeing faux suede is turning out to be a pain in the arse. 3 tries later, the color will not stick. I will try another type of dye and pray that it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: