Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=17297f91211700da30899e1b8d9dd06fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance X-Wing Pilots - Briefing Room (proposal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weathering isn't usually mentioned in the standards unless it's required (like for Baze Malbus and Bohdi Rook, for example) so I'd recommend leaving the mention of that out. Smile

And yeah, the leg flare holster color is tricky as it changes in different lighting. I have an accurate color (or one that's very close to the accurate color) and depending on the lighting it looks black or a darker silver-gray. The holster could probably be either black, medium-dark gray or a darker silver-gray. It definitely shouldn't be a light gray color, that's for sure. Razz

The holster color is as tricky as the arm/collar trim color. In some pictures it looks darker than the suit, in other pictures it looks lighter. I have some pictures from TLJ where the trim is lighter than the suit, but there are other pictures where it's darker. I'd recommend both being acceptable, that the trim color can be one or two shades lighter or darker than the suit.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeneyre ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Weathering isn't usually mentioned in the standards unless it's required (like for Baze Malbus and Bohdi Rook, for example) so I'd recommend leaving the mention of that out. Smile

And yeah, the leg flare holster color is tricky as it changes in different lighting. I have an accurate color (or one that's very close to the accurate color) and depending on the lighting it looks black or a darker silver-gray. The holster could probably be either black, medium-dark gray or a darker silver-gray. It definitely shouldn't be a light gray color, that's for sure. Razz

The holster color is as tricky as the arm/collar trim color. In some pictures it looks darker than the suit, in other pictures it looks lighter. I have some pictures from TLJ where the trim is lighter than the suit, but there are other pictures where it's darker. I'd recommend both being acceptable, that the trim color can be one or two shades lighter or darker than the suit.

I agree 100% about the arm collar trim being lighter in some images and darker in others. Color is so weird.... My Holdo looks completely different in every light. The trim on my husband's Poe flightsuit also looks different!

Now I want to check screen caps of Poe's leg flares. If it looks medium grey on screen , to match the medium grey in person, there's even more motivation to write the separate Poe tlj briefing room crl!

Instagram and Twitter: @JenEyreCosplay
www.JenEyre.com
https://www.facebook.com/JenEyreCosplay/
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeneyre wrote:
Isn't this image from TFA? The hoses are tucked in the top of the chaps.

That photo is indeed from TFA. There are a few cases where we are supplementing the TLJ references with things from TFA, mostly where we can see something in action shots from TLJ and can verify that detail with higher res stills from TFA.

jeneyre wrote:
On the screen used TLJ Poe flight suit at NYCC 2017, his lower leg buckle sliders were more silver than gun metal, and his leg flare belt was much more of a medium gray that dark or black.

Yeah, there a surprising amount of variance on the colors on these, both between Poe and other pilots and between different generic pilots! The flare belt does consistently seem to be darker than the main belt and harness, even on Poe. That is why we have generally described it as black or very dark gray, since medium to charcoal gray is the color we have been using to describe those.

jeneyre wrote:
Is anyone starting a TFA briefing room Poe draft crl? Not sure if I missed it. I'm happy to work (or help work) on that since I already did a bunch of research on that when I was working on my husband's Poe.

No draft standard yet, but that was going to be one of my next steps after this standard goes through. We also did a ton of research on briefing room Poe when Alpha Base did our mass build of pilots, since we were making one for our local Poe. I figured I would wait until this standard has all the kinks worked out, and then make a modified version for Poe. If you are interested in helping with that, though, that would be awesome!
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have now had two generic TLJ briefing room pilots approved from my base. To give an idea of some of the details we are talking about, here are my submissions photos. Note: the current predominant opinion is that, until this standard is official, gray chest loops are required. I am still of the opinion that orange should be allowed by the same token that we allow Snap boots for generic pilots, but I did change out my chest loop for a gray one before approval regardless.

Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking action pose there, and nice work on the standards
KJO Council Member
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of things I've noticed from this discussion.

If we take the reference image

The briefing room pilot on the right of frame has grey harness pull tabs and also wears the flares on the right leg. Many cockpit ready generic pilots have grey tabs there too. That could allow flares on either leg and grey or black tabs on the belt and paddle roll pins if there are references showing black tabs for generic pilots.

I want to raise the question of rear straps too. We have an image stated to be TLJ screen used, albeit from Poe, that differs in construction from previous versions.

Thanamira wrote:

Denise said one of the people taking down the mannequin (at the end of the con) said it was a screen-used flightsuit and helmet.

The gallery was posted on these forums previously:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84955&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcltdw/sets/72157686563644064/with/37000033546/

This suggests 38mm thick canvas with no stitching similar to TFA references in construction but much shorter.

Are they any workable reference shots to show any differences in what a generic TLJ pilot would have?

Any thoughts on these points?
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigFatCat wrote:
The briefing room pilot on the right of frame has grey harness pull tabs and also wears the flares on the right leg. Many cockpit ready generic pilots have grey tabs there too. That could allow flares on either leg and grey or black tabs on the belt and paddle roll pins if there are references showing black tabs for generic pilots.

That is a great find! I have edited the proposed standard to reflect the possibility of the bandoleer being on either side and the option for the tabs to be gray.

BigFatCat wrote:
I want to raise the question of rear straps too. We have an image stated to be TLJ screen used, albeit from Poe, that differs in construction from previous versions.

Are they any workable reference shots to show any differences in what a generic TLJ pilot would have?

When Aquadrazi and I were hunting, we could not find any evidence that the harnesses for generic pilots differed significantly from the TFA ones. Until we find that, I would be reluctant to require any of the details seen on this Poe harness for generic pilots. Now, if anyone has some generic references and wants to throw them in here, that would awesome!
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of images for the back of most things, I've seen this cause issues in the past with other costumes.

There is the hanger shot where Black One buys the farm, you can just make out quite a short central strap but again that's on Poe. What I liked about the one in the pic of the cased costume is that its construction is very easy.
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending some time looking at people's backsides, here are some samples for consideration for rear straps, original images kindly provided by Mark.

First up, a good shot of 2 harnesses illustrating the range in drop. The one on the left would suggest a thicker material held with 2 chicago screws/rivets at the top. The lower loop seems to show 2 rivets and the loop folded into a triangle with the leg loop lying flat.

Next up shows an extremely short strap secured with 2 rivets/screws, and another secured by a single rivet/screw.

From the shortest to the longest, how low can you go? Looks like 2 rivets and a simple lower loop.

This one looks similar to the cased example previously provided. Thick canvas loop but can't see any fixings top and bottom. Triangular folded lower loop but not very clean.

Now, a briefing room shot, no vest. Fixings aren't clear but the shadowing on the upper loop would suggest a similar build to the above/cased examples with the oval loop of thick canvas secured by two screws. Simple lower loop, with a triangular hang with 2 rivets it looks like.
I would suggest this is a pretty clean example of a model centre strap as it looks more or less the same in 3 of these images. The lower loop can be folded triangular in some cases or left more upright.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so looking at these photos, I am seeing a lot of variation in those back straps. Here are all the options I am seeing:

Length: Anywhere from 8 inches to 18 inches

Attachment: Stitching, 1 chicago screw, or two chicago screws (there is one of those where I am not seeing any shiny screw heads at all. It could just be how low res it is, but given that, I would be inclined to say that any of those methods should be acceptable).

Bottom loop: flat or triangular

Do those seem like a sufficient set of options to folks?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fine to me. In TFA some of the "tail" harness loops didn't have the screws, so I don't see any reason not to make them optional for these standards as well.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy with those options Smile
KJO Council Member
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options for the back of the harness have now been added to the draft standard!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question, and a comment:

1) Question: Where are the leg flares supposed to be worn? I can only recall seeing them below the knee. But the costume example photos on the previous page seemed to show them on the lower thigh, above the knee. I'm not yet as familiar with TFA/TLJ flight suits, so just wondering if this is different.

2) Comment: English language nitpick re the current draft standard as written the OP, and "Chaps":

Quote:
The legs of the jumpsuit are covered by a chap made of the same material from the thigh down. This chap has seams on both the inseam and outseam, aligned with the pant underneath. The chap is flat on the top, and attaches partway down the hip, notably below the waist. It then curves sharply down, leaving the rear and groin of the main jumpsuit layer uncovered. In addition to being sewn to the main jumpsuit along the flat top edge, the chap may be attached along the inseam and/or in a hidden seam under the knee, which is covered by the webbing. The chap should not be attached along the curved upper seams. OPTIONAL: chap may end below the knee at the location of the webbing, provided that the lower hem of the chap is stitched down to the pant leg at this height with no visible top stitching.

"Chaps" are not referred to in the singular form, in normal English. The word is short for "chaparreras", the original Spanish term for them, used by Caballeros (cowboys). A "Chap" is slang for a gentleman, not a horseback riding protective garment which this style is emulating. Wink In a way, it's a bit like "Pants". You can refer to a "pant leg" in specifically singular way, but otherwise, it's a "pair of pants". The language in the draft above should be changed to reflect the plural form in each case (and surrounding language revised as needed):

The legs of the jumpsuit are covered by chaps made of the same material from the thigh down. These chaps have seams on both the inseam and outseam, aligned with the pant leg underneath. The chaps are flat on the top, and attach partway down the hip, notably below the waist. They then curve sharply down, leaving the rear and groin of the main jumpsuit layer uncovered. In addition to being sewn to the main jumpsuit along the flat top edge, the chaps may be attached along the inseam and/or in a hidden seam under the knee, which is covered by the webbing. The chaps should not be attached along the curved upper seams. OPTIONAL: Chaps may end below the knee at the location of the webbing, provided that the lower hem of the chaps are stitched down to the pant leg at this height with no visible top stitching.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
A quick question, and a comment:
1) Question: Where are the leg flares supposed to be worn? I can only recall seeing them below the knee. But the costume example photos on the previous page seemed to show them on the lower thigh, above the knee. I'm not yet as familiar with TFA/TLJ flight suits, so just wondering if this is different.

If you refer the reference photos Aquadrazi posted, you will see that there are multiple canonical placements of of the flares in both TFA and TLJ. The current draft of the standard includes all possible placements which have been observed on film.

kman wrote:

2) Comment: English language nitpick re the current draft standard as written the OP, and "Chaps":

I think it's probably best to focus on content of the standard at this time, rather than nitpicking the grammar, unless the meaning is unclear. A last polish for small details that don't effect meaning can be done after the content of the standard is finalized.
Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, and ESB)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: