Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=83ceb707e46dba9240272c459f86ee69Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's Endor Rebel Commando WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: kman's Endor Rebel Commando WIP Reply with quote

Last year, our base commander decided it would be amazing to do a group costume for RFTs, to get as many together as possible so we could make a strong showing at the Hollywood Christmas Parade. I made an RFT, and we totally rocked it. Smile

This year, the theme is going to be ERC, so I'm making an Endor Rebel Commando costume, and hopefully we'll pull off another amazing showing!

Our base has a pretty good resource thread set up for the ERCs, so I was able to get a pretty decent jump start on the base of the costume:

This start consists of:

1) Palladium (brand) Men's Pampa Hi Chukka Boots, in the "Sahara" color. (Mine came from Amazon)

2) Propper Tan BDU Pants (Cotton) (I actually had these already; can't recall where I got them but they're easy to source)

3) Gildan - Sand - Ultra Cotton Long Sleeve T-Shirt (Mine came from Walmart.com)

4) Czech M60 Rucksack, for the soft pack variant of this costume (mine came from eBay)

I think I have a Vintage Vietnam-era US Army web belt I can wear with these, but if not, recreations are available very cheaply.

I have a number of vintage Vietnam-era army pouches, as well. I'll take some photos of those shortly. The magazine pouch and compass/first aid pouches are the correct cotton canvas material, not the newer versions that are polyester. (I don't think I'll be using the double pouches, but if I did, the "US" would have to be covered somehow)

The Bandolier is super important. I'll be making it myself as soon as I source accurate cotton webbing for it. I found accurate 2" webbing, but the overlay is actually thinner, roughly 1.5" wide, and finding color-matching webbing in that size has eluded me thus far.

For the bandolier greeblies, I'm most likely going to model them and 3D print them myself. The Yahoo group has models posted for some, but I'm not thrilled with the accuracy of them all, so I'll use a couple and re-do others. Here are the greeblies from the Yahoo group that I printed, as a test:

The rest will have to be modeled from scratch, based on every photo reference I can lay my hands on!

The most iconic part of the Endor Commando is, of course, the donut helmet. I've printed the ring itself, and I'm in the process of finishing it. I used this model from Thingiverse, which conveiently printed in parts small enough for my small-to-medium-sized printer's print platen: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761727

I also purchased a vintage AN-H-15 soft helmet from eBay (wow, those are pricey these days, especially for anything other than Medium!) I just need to cut out some foam discs for the ear holes and that part is good to go, at least. Smile

The ring has been sanded and primed. It still needs some more finishing before final paint goes on. Here are some progress pics:

Printed and assembled:

Sanded and putty'ed... ignore all the black plastic bits on my face from the grinder, LOL!

Base coat of primer

It needs another round of sanding, priming and painting, I think. I might also want to cut the head hole a little bigger to bring the ring a little lower onto my head. And then, of course, I'll need to sew the brim and the pleated parts to attach to the ring. (Not looking forward to that last part, but I don't think it will be as bad as the helmet cover and somewhat similar pleated part I just did for the Rogue One helmet!)

I'll be attempting to sew the vest myself, using Grey Jedi's patterns and tutorial (gulp!).

I printed a rank badge for the vest: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2301022

I'll be sewing the gaiters myself. Those are simple, at least.

I also picked up some simple deerskin work gloves from Home Depot. They should be fine, once weathered thoroughly.

For the soft pack, I bought some 1" hose, and have printed some scout trooper snout greeblies, which are the ones used on top of the packs, according to the photos (and the info in the Star Wars Costumes book). I used gucabe's extremely accurate models which he sells on Shapeways (his models are also available to download and print yourself!). I used the simpler models from the Yahoo group for the lower pouch greeblies.
Biker snout plate: https://www.shapeways.com/product/LRPVQC6WY/biker-snout-plate?optionId=42269743
Biker snout engine: https://www.shapeways.com/product/4CB5Y32KP/biker-snout-engine?optionId=42269426
Biker Aerator: https://www.shapeways.com/product/HPTW326FH/biker-aerator?optionId=40411573
(ATTENTION MODS: I INCLUDE THESE LINKS SO PEOPLE CAN DOWNLOAD THE MODELS FOR FREE AND PRINT THEM THEMSELVES, NOT AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF SHAPEWAYS MODELS SPECIFICALLY)

Biker Snout:

Lower pouch greeblies:

Pack rough layout:

I might buy a wristcom, if I can, else I might try to model one myself.

I haven't decided which way I want to go with the A280. I'll 3D print it I can, or perhaps buy a kit from Darth Hair, or perhaps model my own. Kinda depends on how time (and money!) goes.

Once everything is all assembled, of course, I'll have to camo it all up. Smile

I THINK that brings us up to date. I'll add more pictures as I remember to take them, LOL. Current active work is finishing up that helmet ring, and the associated soft helmet parts.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop copying me! Laughing Wink

(My ERT was approved before my pilot, but I found this funny that you are doing ERT and pilot too.)

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Stop copying me! Laughing Wink

(My ERT was approved before my pilot, but I found this funny that you are doing ERT and pilot too.)

LOL If you're doing a Rogue One SpecOps / Scarif Marine, too, we're going to have a real problem, lassie. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

We're good. Wink

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work so far! I am also going to start this relatively soon so I'm sure I'll be bugging ya with questions soon. Shocked

In progress/planning: Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Great work so far! I am also going to start this relatively soon so I'm sure I'll be bugging ya with questions soon. Shocked

Thanks!

You doing a generic? IIRC you already have Endor Leia, don't you?
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, generic. Might as well, have a ton of leftover paint from Leia! Lol

In progress/planning: Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endorians unite! Smile

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Endorians unite! Smile

I'm not nearly furry enough to be an Ewok! Wink

Come to LA and join us this Fall; we're going to have a big ERC turnout for the Hollywood Christmas Parade!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:
Endorians unite! Smile

I'm not nearly furry enough to be an Ewok! Wink

Come to LA and join us this Fall; we're going to have a big ERC turnout for the Hollywood Christmas Parade!

And I'm too tall. Wink

I'd love to, but not exactly local, sadly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: