Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45ddef4811860a6605f8d1f7ea720e08Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TPM Obi-Wan WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obea1 (Beatrice)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: TPM Obi-Wan WIP Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Beatrice and I am a costumer from Michigan. I am almost finished with my Padawan Obi-Wan build and I am eager to submit an application and share my progress with those who are also interested in making this costume!

Hair and Makeup
I had no intention of buzzing my hair short enough for an authentic padawan style, so I spent a lot of time researching wigs. I eventually settled for using my real hair tied back in a low ponytail with a lot of back combing in the front so it looks shorter than it is. I use a synthetic hair extension for the padawan braid. Both female and male costumers can benefit from a basic makeup application. It can really bring a costume together for pictures! I use over 8 products for my Padawan face to make myself look more like a young man with a defined jawline. If anyone is interested in a tutorial with product recommendations, let me know!

Boots
I thrifted a pair of dark brown riding boots and attached straps and spats that I cut out of upholstery leather with super glue. It was necessary to paint the entire boot dark brown to even out the color since the upholstery leather was originally maroon. After the base coat, I stippled two different brown tones across the surface to give them a leathery, dimensional appearance that matches the "reddish brown" requirement. I will seal them with a satin duraclear varnish once I am 100% satisfied with the color.

Tunic/Pants/Robe
I used a Simplicity 5840 adult pattern for my inner/outer tunics using crinkle cotton fabric I found at Joann Fabrics. The crinkle cotton alone was too thin for the obi, so I used a strip of costume leather as a base and attached a double-folded fabric cutout to it using hot glue. I made sure to fold the fabric in different places to match the "scrunched" requirement. I purchased a pair of linen pants that match the tunic color. I recommend looking for pants without pockets or zippers since the suggested tunic fabric is very thin. These pictures were taken during a test run of the tunics and show the texture of the crinkle cotton. As you can see, I need to add snap clasps to keep the tunics from slipping around and I didn't have the right pants yet. The tabards are hard to see due to the robe, but I am remaking them using the leather base technique since they're so thin. As for the robe, I borrowed it from a friend who found it at a renaissance faire. When I make mine, it will have full sleeves.

Lightsaber Hilt
I think I'm going to try this kit. If anyone has any other suggestions or pointers with the lightsaber, I'd appreciate it!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/628538793/obi-wan-kenobi-phantom-menace-lightsaber?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=the%20phantom%20menace%20lightsaber%20obi-wan&ref=sr_gallery-1-3

Last edited by obea1 (Beatrice) on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: TPM Obi-Wan WIP Reply with quote

obea1 wrote:

Belt/Food Capsules/Pouches

I recommend this belt quite often. I own 2 of them: Anakin and Obi-wan.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-Wan-Jedi-Belt/173380090871?_trkparms=aid%3D222007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: TPM Obi-Wan WIP Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
obea1 wrote:

Belt/Food Capsules/Pouches

I recommend this belt quite often. I own 2 of them: Anakin and Obi-wan.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-Wan-Jedi-Belt/173380090871?_trkparms=aid%3D222007

It looks beautiful! Iím going to attempt to make mine, but Iíve bookmarked this link just in case. I really appreciate the tip!
obea1 (Beatrice)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Food Capsules Reply with quote

obea1 (Beatrice)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belt buckle is from Saberforge on Etsy and it is awesome, Iím very happy with the quality. Just need to add the metal studs to keep the second belt in place, add the accessories and itíll be all set.

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the center strap looks a little wide.

Obi-wan's belt is 2.25" for the wide belt and 0.5 inches for the narrow belt;
Anakin;s is 2.25" for the wide one, and 0.75" for the narrow one; etc..

this is something the judges look for, with the face characters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
the center strap looks a little wide.

Obi-wan's belt is 2.25" for the wide belt and 0.5 inches for the narrow belt;
Anakin;s is 2.25" for the wide one, and 0.75" for the narrow one; etc..

this is something the judges look for, with the face characters.

Thanks for catching that! Iím looking at .7 and I think I have enough leather to remake it. When I look at the CRL, it says wide belt and smaller inner belt. Just for future details, where can I find specific measurements?

Last edited by obea1 (Beatrice) on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scattered throughout 10 years of posts on the forum I guess. lol Razz

there was once a site called 'crazy old wizards' which compiled all the obi-wan costuming resources into one place -- much like the 'son of the suns' site for anakin resources -- these sites were invaluable.

but unfortunately both sites ceased to exist a few years ago, and now, all that info has been scattered on the wind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
scattered throughout 10 years of posts on the forum I guess. lol Razz

there was once a site called 'crazy old wizards' which compiled all the obi-wan costuming resources into one place -- much like the 'son of the suns' site for anakin resources -- these sites were invaluable.

but unfortunately both sites ceased to exist a few years ago, and now, all that info has been scattered on the wind.

Dang! Those sites sound incredible, itís a shame theyíre gone.
My only concern then would be how necessary the measurements are with the belt construction. If these measurements arenít specified by the CRL, Iíd want to know if they are still considered a necessary standard. Iíd hate to tear the belts apart if I donít have to.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send a PM to Shay Kenobi, he's the resident obi-wan expert. and also the assistant membership officer.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12417

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
send a PM to Shay Kenobi, he's the resident obi-wan expert. and also the assistant membership officer.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12417

Will do- Thank you again for the advice and measurements. I appreciate it!
obea1 (Beatrice)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Leather Colors Reply with quote

I'm worried about the "reddish-brown" color requirement. Below are the two images from the visual guide that I have used as my primary references, since the other pictures looked plain dark brown with no hints of red.

My boots change color with lighting, but I'm afraid they look too red regardless. The first two images were taken just now outside with dusk lighting. Please excuse how brilliantly pale my arm is, haha.

The third image is recycled from my belt buckle post and shows how dark the belts are in neutral kitchen lighting on a cloudy day. The only change I have made since then is sealing the outer belt with a satin varnish. I can always repaint and seal them, but I'd hate to run into the opposite problem where they become too flat. Thoughts?
obea1 (Beatrice)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Test Run of Full Costume at Michigan Comic Con 2018 Reply with quote

Things I learned from the test run:
1. Tabards are too wide- They need to be altered about 1-3/4 inch.
2. Velcro insufficient for belt pouches. Has been replaced with hooks.
3. Tunics are tapered due to pattern- will hem more than previously altered.
4. Jedi food capsules need a stronger sealer for the paint, it tends to rub off.
5. Boots need better sealer too, paint chips at creases.
6. My hair is just too long- time to go back to when I had it for the very first makeup tests (pics from that are on my first post)
7. Ray Park is just as nice in person as he is on social media Smile

I am so grateful to have spent time with the Great Lakes Garrison and Base at Michigan Comic Con. My friend Colin really helped me focus on how to troop successfully, specifically how to pace myself with breaks/costume touch-ups and how to integrate myself with the rest of the group. I have worked as non costume support before, but trooping was a whole different experience. I was exhausted after just one day, I didnít even go the whole weekend! Everyone was so welcoming and kind, I cannot wait to work alongside them officially very soon.

As of right now, I have every required component for submission. The lightsaber hilt is from the 3D printed kit I mentioned in an earlier post and it was a blast to assemble and paint. The saberclip worked great and was also from Etsy. Belt pouches (2 tall ones) are from Woodman here on the forums and they perfectly match the wide belt pouch I made by hand. All I need to do is go through my list and make the alterations I need before I take my final pictures. So close!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: