Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ef7273a708ed8efae0c30b9962bdfe06Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Librarian - Questions and Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Ducky (Jessie Lynch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Jedi Librarian - Questions and Build Thread Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm currently in the gathering and research stage for my Jedi Librarian, gathering fabrics and materials for this next costume build.

I intend to do a Twi'lek Jedi Librarian, with a brown skirt and beige/brown outer tunic. Inner tunic will likely be done to match the skirt in color, but likely not in fabric.

The blue/green fabric I have is what I would like to use for the tabards and obi - it is a silk fabric, and the photo doesn't do it justice - and makes it look decidedly more bright than it is in person. It has a black crossweave to it, which makes it more subtle than this quick photo does.

The lekku are bright green, and will have some aditional stripes added to them once I'm closer to being ready to do this. I know I'll need to submit this to both the Wretched Hive for non-human judging, as well as the Jedi for approval of the Jedi portion. That is a bridge I will cross when I come to it.

One of the optional items is the brown suede drawstring bag - which I managed to procure from the local Renaissance Festival. It is a lot more impressive when it is stuffed and not just flopped on my work area.

Now, the first question I have is in relation to the patterns on the tabards/obi. The Standards call for a geometric pattern, and I am aware of the pattern that Jocasta and Atris have on theirs (whcih aren't the same, but are two examples to be looked at). I am intending to hand embroider the pattern onto things, which is the sort of crazy thing I occasionally do for costumes. I'm looking at cotton fabrics to use as an example/template for the pattern. Essentially I'd be stitching over these in order to replicate them in a stitch pattern on the "right" side of the tabard fabric. I wanted to get an opinion on these patterns (note - ignore the colors. I'd just be using these to generate the outline)

1. Geometric Flowers
2. Circles and Flowers
3. Squirls and Spirals (Please completely ignore the color on this. None of the colors would be seen. Just the swirls and rounds.)

I'm leaning towards the swirls, personally, which is why I wanted to ask if that was acceptable. I intend to add a few roundells in, and free-hand some of the circles and stuff on the tabards and obi. I'm leaning towards using a pale gray embroidery thread for this, since it'll stand out nicely against the blue.
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - Fable "Needles" Thek - Chesapeake Ten
Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - WIP
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent your making a librarian, they can be really fun.

On the tabards, I would choose something more reserved colour-wise than what you've linked here as you noted. Atris, Jocasta, and the others have more of a monotone coloured pattern on them, with geometry rather than flowers or other organic items. Squares, circles and the like.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011�2013 � LCJ � Takodana Base XO � A. Legion Webmaster
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
That's excellent your making a librarian, they can be really fun.

On the tabards, I would choose something more reserved colour-wise than what you've linked here as you noted. Atris, Jocasta, and the others have more of a monotone coloured pattern on them, with geometry rather than flowers or other organic items. Squares, circles and the like.

I'm actually not going to use those fabrics as the tabards - what I intend to do is use that fabric to back (hidden, and eventually encased) the monotone silk I plan to use. Essentially, I'll be tracing the design, but before I went and started the hours of embroidery... I wanted to verify if the swirly design (with some circles or boxes added in) would be acceptable.

I'm looking for if the patterns (if they were outlined - ignoring the colors) would be acceptable as the design. Basically hoping I can save myself some time instead of having to plot out the pattern myself... which I can do, but I keep getting caught in the details of it, and I know I will over-embroider them if left to my own devices.
Jawa - Duk'ki
ionicdesign (Michael)

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, all good. I followed on the colour, as noted.

I would not have organic things (plants, animals) in the pattern. The references are rectangles, triangles and circles (geometric pattern) with the occasional curved stuff as well, but mostly non-objective.

Atris

Jocasta (Animated)

Jocasta (Film)

Tionne Solusar (Vs Book)

Tionne Solusar (comic)

Ostar-Gal

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Thank you for the feedback, and for providing the additional references. That is amazingly helpful, and great to see even more variety in the designs.

I believe I know what direction I'm going to go now, and I can get the pieces so I can start the embroidery work (and maybe finish by this time next year... heh)

Thanks again!
Jawa - Duk'ki
ionicdesign (Michael)

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, do share in progress photos here and best of luck with it. Ben

Aldrums24 (Alexis Lopez)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look and see the Plo koon Style in this video please, i thinks this character is a Jedi Archives too, his name is: Tol Braga.
I dont know if the Human Jedi in his left side is a Jedi Archives too

I will be Greatfull is you can help with this Costume!

https://youtu.be/D2iIEpga7s4?t=2m53s

We must fight, to victory or death, for the REPUBLIC -Jace Malcom, Cpt of the Havoc Squat (The Old Republic)
Do or do not, there is no try. -Master Yoda

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've finished about 5 inches worth of the embroidery on the first of the panels. It is very much free handed, guided/influenced occasionally by the swirly fabric I have as an interfacing. Been adding in a lot more straight lines, and angles, as well as other shapes to the mix. Sort of just going for it by hand as I go along.

Is this a reasonable pattern for a Librarian's tabards and obi? Does it need to be a true repeating pattern?

Note: Colors are NOT accurate here - I was in a low light situation, so I ended up overblowing the contrast. Oops. It is a dark teal/blue silk and pale gray thread/embroidery.
Jawa - Duk'ki
ionicdesign (Michael)

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the teal and cream together. I'm sure what it looks like in person is nice as well.

I don't know that is has to be a pedantic pattern, but one is fine too. I'd lean more to straight lines and circles than curves/ spirals from reference, but you should be alright.

I make not claim to be able to, but in looking at the reference you could be a little bolder/thicker on the pattern.

Very best of luck with the sewing.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
I like the teal and cream together. I'm sure what it looks like in person is nice as well.

I don't know that is has to be a pedantic pattern, but one is fine too. I'd lean more to straight lines and circles than curves/ spirals from reference, but you should be alright.

I make not claim to be able to, but in looking at the reference you could be a little bolder/thicker on the pattern.

Very best of luck with the sewing.

Thank you for the feedback! I was going for something similar to Atris, who has a very busy and close together pattern to hers. I tend to get lost in the details at the first part of embroidery, so I'll space it out a bit and straighten it.

Amusngly, the beige on the side is masking tape... I have that to keep the silk from fraying too much as I work on it... But I am considering edging the tabards and Obi in tan instead of blue/black like I was considering originally... Will see about crossing that bridge once I finish embroidering.
Jawa - Duk'ki
ionicdesign (Michael)

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very best of luck with it, I hope all goes well.

Just Ducky wrote:
Amusngly, the beige on the side is masking tape... I have that to keep the silk from fraying too much as I work on it... But I am considering edging the tabards and Obi in tan instead of blue/black like I was considering originally... Will see about crossing that bridge once I finish embroidering.

On closer look it is indeed. Wink

Having the edging like Jocasta is a little more work but it looks really nice in the end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: