Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9cdb7b7b4ad927414a82da13b2d5b2c0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala - Parade Gown construction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Queen Amidala - Parade Gown construction Reply with quote

Hi!

So I am going to make a thread of my work in progress of Amidala's Parade Gown that she wears at the end of episode one. I'm going to start off by making a few observations (and questions?) as I am preparing my materials and thoughts on how I will go about making this gown. Also, I am really new to fabric selection, so if any of you have recommendations I'd really appreciate any advice you have for me!

I've taken a look at Kelldar's and Traybuff's tutorial on how they made the gown so I have some idea of where to start. I have also made my own observations that I will note here:

Initially, I thought the sleeves were opaque, as I have taken screencaps of scenes from the movie as seen here, which proves there are definitely sleeves that reach mid-thumb:

I thought that the sleeves were the same material as the dress. However, after careful inspection from other photos, it looks like the sleeves are actually a bit transparent:

And it also appears that it's a crinkly fabric:

Crinkle chiffon maybe? It seems like it was added later, as I've found a shot of the gown at some point without the sleeves:

Moving on to the cape... I initially thought there was a petticoat of some sort because the cape seems to "stick out" from the back, but I realize it's because the cape has to be made longer so it can drag across the floor rather than sit flat against the wearer's back:

Also, as for the cape, I was thinking of adding an extra layer of fabric of some sort to prevent the actual inside of the cape from getting dirty? I wanted this piece to be removable or something that I can change out every so often that isn't a direct piece of the cape that the petals are attached to.

Finally, I'd like to ask about the fabric for the dress - I've come to notice that this is an ivory satin, but what kind of satin exactly? It seems just from pictures that it's a thick fabric (like a wedding type of satin?)... and the only satin I'm familiar with is duchess satin, and I think this might be too thin (unless I add a layer of lining?) Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have done some good research on this already. Smile

I agree that it would be a good idea to have a second layer on the inside of the cape that can be easily removed or just something to take the majority of wear and tear.

Bridal satin would probably be a good choice for the dress. It does have some body and thickness to it. But you can do a lot with lining, too, and regardless this is a gown that will need to be lined in some way.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love this gown and cannot wait to see you make it! For the sleeves I think they do look a little transparent, and crinkle chiffon might work. I thought the texture on it wouldn't work, but from the one picture you posted there does seem to be a little texture to them!

Also having the extra layer for specifically getting dirty is a great idea! I'm not an expert on different types of silk, but I found this picture that seems to show the dress and cape fabric really well! Hope it helps Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A nice big project to get started on. I was luck enough to see the screen used gown in London last year. I have lots of pics for you if you should like them. Both as Jpeg and RAW.

Good luck! Can't wait to see you get started Amadalia
melidala (Melanie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KittyKat: Do you have the pics online somewhere? I'm planning on starting this gown later this year and would be happy for every reference Smile

@accioveronica Very good research so far!
Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever think that the sleeves could be the same fabric as the cape ?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all!

So, in the meantime, I've been doing more research. I think I'm going to obviously go with an ivory satin that has a heavier weight to it for the dress. As I understand it, the original dress was cut on the bias because there are no visible darts or extra seams for fitting. How would someone with curvier body go about doing this? I want to apply this costume to RL when I'm finished with it.

Additionally, I've noticed the petal fabric is identical to the fabric on the parasol. I can't confirm if it's the same fabric on the sleeves though, it's difficult to tell. I did find this shot though, and I think these are the sleeves that are being ironed, which does match the petal and parasol fabric. But again, this is only speculation because I can't really tell!

Either way, I can't seem to come across fabric that looks like the petal/parasol fabric anywhere. I had mentioned crinkled chiffon, and this seems like the only option that I can come up with. I've never seen a transparent fabric like that with that weird texture... Do any of you have any guesses? I'm putting pictures below. Thanks!

Notice the petal sticking up above her shoulder and look at her parasol:

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sleeves might very well be the same material as the petals and parasol, but I have no idea what it might be called. Confused It looks like something that is roughly spun, then weaved. Like a thin raw silk or something.

For the gown I think a bustier woman could probably get away with some small darts on the side of the breasts since the cape and arms basically covers that all the time.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Leia_Miau ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didin't make sleeves on mine, I was confused wen I see reference pics with and without sleeves....then I decided "no sleeves".

I was thinking too about a inner piece of fabric for the lowest part of the cape.

Any suggestions for a folding parasol? mine is one piece and so annoying to pack. I was thinking something like an umbrella....something like a fan....
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia_Miau wrote:
I didin't make sleeves on mine, I was confused wen I see reference pics with and without sleeves....then I decided "no sleeves".

I was thinking too about a inner piece of fabric for the lowest part of the cape.

Any suggestions for a folding parasol? mine is one piece and so annoying to pack. I was thinking something like an umbrella....something like a fan....

I think that would make the packing situation much easier, but I can't imagine that because of the fabric over it, and the little designed spoke ends. Unless there is a way you can make the fabric detachable... but again, it seems really difficult with the detailed ends of the spokes.
Leia_Miau ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never sourrender XD
dchukhina ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is a bit late and you may have come up with a solution by now! But the crinkly fabric you are looking at is an organza and you can get that texture by steaming it and running your fingers across it to pull the threads apart a bit and get that texture! I hope this helps!!!
neonjov ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice costume you are planning to do. Any update, OP?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchukhina wrote:
I realize this is a bit late and you may have come up with a solution by now! But the crinkly fabric you are looking at is an organza and you can get that texture by steaming it and running your fingers across it to pull the threads apart a bit and get that texture! I hope this helps!!!

Ahh it is a little late! I've already made progress on my petals and cape, but if I decide to remake the cape for whatever reason I'll have that in mind. However, I did have a swatch of silk organza and found that I could pull the threads with my fingers to give it the same effect. Buuuuttttt I was looking at having to do this for about 25-30 yards of fabric and that would've taken an eternity, lol!

neonjov wrote:
That's a really nice costume you are planning to do. Any update, OP?

YES! Thankfully, quite a bit. I thought I would make a big post here when I was done with it since the thread had been a bit inactive, so in the meantime I'll just write progress on what I'm missing (because I do have some questions!). I'll post pics soon, as I've recently changed my phone so I'll have to get the pictures from my old phone.
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next part I'm tackling is the hairpiece. I will be using my natural hair, and then adding an extension/hairpiece (so basically I'm not going to use an entire wig)... but there are so many ways to go about this, I'm a bit unsure about what step to take next.

At the moment, I am thinking of mixing both Traybuff's and Kelldar's methods of building the hairpiece... as I mentioned, I don't want to use an entire wig (which is what Traybuff did), but I really like the frame she built, which is what she did here:

I'm not sure if I should use wefts only by using Traybuff's frame structure - but my problem would be figuring out what to do with my natural hair. Since Traybuff used a wig, she looped the ponytail of the wig through the center ring to make the six hair parts. When making my own, if I were to make it an extension rather than take the hair from a wig, I'd have to figure something to "cover" my natural hair with which is why Kelldar's method would be important:

Kelldar uses a ponytail clip from Arda, and makes a wire frame likein the shape of a star ( like *) and adheres the joint together in the center, and then puts that frame INSIDE the bun part of the ponytail clip extension. My only problem with this is that I have a LOT of hair and I don't think I could fit all of my hair PLUS the wire and frame of Kelldar's design behind my real hair when it's bunned inside the ponytail extension. This is why I want to make a mix of Traybuff's and Kelldar's hairpiece (Traybuff's frame and Kelldar's ponytail extension) ... I'm just having a hard time with how I'd go about this exactly if this has made any sense.

Any have thoughts or ideas? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: