Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9bcb63cc21efa26306ba44fb01fb11d6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala - Parade Gown construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubian-Jedi (Grace Croop)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Parade Gown Headpiece Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm actually looking into creating this gown myself for RL submission, and I'm a bit stumped on how to make the jewelry piece that sits against Amidala's forehead. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Amadalia

MTFBWY
Grace (Nubian-Jedi)
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Parade Gown Headpiece Reply with quote

Nubian-Jedi wrote:
Hello!

I'm actually looking into creating this gown myself for RL submission, and I'm a bit stumped on how to make the jewelry piece that sits against Amidala's forehead. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Amadalia

MTFBWY
Grace (Nubian-Jedi)

Hey, Grace!

So the jewelry piece is a little tricky, especially because it's such a unique piece of jewelry you won't find anywhere. I'm not sure if you're looking to make it yourself or if you're open to purchasing/having it commissioned. I've seen one seller from Etsy sell it and it looks pretty good to me:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260851825/star-wars-queen-amidala-crystal-head?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=amidala%20jewelry&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&organic_search_click=1

The only thing I would change if I were to buy it are the side chains, as the originals are figaro chains.

You can also solder the jewelry together using copper wire (I'd suggest 20 gauge or so). This will definitely take some time and practice because the joints are so small. Then, once you have all the metal wire soldered you can use a strong adhesive to glue the jewels to the joints. Traybuff wrote a tutorial up on her page how she got it done. Here is Tracy's full tutorial, if yo scroll down you'll find the part where she documents her progress on her headpiece:

https://tracyscostumingworld.weebly.com/parade-gown.html

Best of luck on your build, if you have any other questions/progress updates I'd love to hear about it!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I don't know how much hair we are talking about, but I think it sounds like you need to incorporate it into the buns themselves. Maybe some of them can be premade and you'll just use your own hair of the couple of them. (Matching the fake hair will be important). The end of your hair would be wrapped around the base and help secure the whole thing.
And this is probably a terrible description, so maybe it doesn't help you much. Rolling Eyes

How much hair do you have? Length, thickness?

The headband you should be able to make from thin wire twisted together. The hard part will be to ensure even spaces.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hello

I don't know how much hair we are talking about, but I think it sounds like you need to incorporate it into the buns themselves. Maybe some of them can be premade and you'll just use your own hair of the couple of them. (Matching the fake hair will be important). The end of your hair would be wrapped around the base and help secure the whole thing.
And this is probably a terrible description, so maybe it doesn't help you much. Rolling Eyes

How much hair do you have? Length, thickness?

The headband you should be able to make from thin wire twisted together. The hard part will be to ensure even spaces.

Actually, I think wrapping my hair around the base of the structure might be a good idea. Since I can't fit all of my hair in the bun cover for the ponytail clip, I'm thinking about splitting half of my hair in a bun and the other half I'll leave out until I pin the structure on, then I'll wrap it around the base. It probably won't be visible since the six little buns stick away from the base, so as long as I keep my hair wrapped close to the base I should be good. I have thick hair that reaches a few inches past my waist when it's straightened.
I really want to avoid having to do my hair every single time - I do this for my Leia buns and that's as far as I'll go, lol!

However, I did make some progress on my headpiece! This was my first time soldering something together - I had tried a few weeks ago, but I was soldering incorrectly, and luckily someone graciously helped point me in the right direction. I just need to add the side pieces, the jewels, and the chains!

For the side pieces, which are really unique, I was thinking of just sculpting them out of clay. I'm not really sure how to go about these little parts besides that.

Tatooine Peasant Padmé
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Smile Your progress is looking good.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: