Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=87f36e65734ccd5a10b7a3f54d68c76aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

3D Model for Bowcaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelOne (Daniel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: 3D Model for Bowcaster Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Chewbacca bowcaster (ANH or ESB), and found a 3D model that might be worth printing. I'm not a Chewie expert, so I'm wondering what you think of this model:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/games-toys/toys/bowcaster

Thanks for your help!
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure for ANH/ESB, but this one is looking apparently really close to TFA one.

However, if you are not specifically restreint to a specific version, this model is good looking and as the advantage of being free : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1915002
But it's less accurate to chewie's one.
RebelOne (Daniel)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ritin!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad. It looks like its based on the Sequel Trilogy bowcaster. It's a bit too squarish in the body (the sides are flat which looks like he extruded the shape, especially around the stock) and the single point scope (center scope) is way off. I also think the seams on the balls are way too thick, but you could sand that down or just use racquetballs like the balls on the original trilogy bowcaster. You would also have to add the bowstring, the coiled cords, and the sling, which looks like the old M-1 carbine sling used on the TESB/ROTJ bowcaster.

My only real concern is scale. No telling if the author made it the right size.

If and when I do an ST bowcaster (haven't finished my ANH bc yet) here is what I would do:

The actual base crossbow of the Sequel Trilogy bandolier is a Barnett Commando Crossbow, which regularly turns up on eBay. You might pick one of those crossbows up and convert it, using 3D file for other components.

I would use racquetballs instead of the 3D printed ones. You can get some black ones on Amazon.

I would also replace the single point scope (center scope) with this one from Thingverse: Single point Scope.

I would probably make the barrel out of aluminum tubing from a hardware store.

Then print the rest of the parts off: the sidescopes, the side control plates, the sight, the scope/barrel base piece, etc.

Throw in a coiled cored from a pen or graflex flash cord, an M-1 carbine sling, add the bowstring and your done.

It really depends on how accurate a bowcaster you want and what your budget is. The bowcaster is pretty big, so it might cost a lot to print. Remember that the actors who play Chewie are both over 7 feet, so they make it look smaller than it really is.
RebelOne (Daniel)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt,

It's looking like it may be easier to make my own to be sure the size and details are correct.
MARK BRAVE (MARCO TULIO SANCHEZ MINA)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all, finally finished assembling the crossbow han shot first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: