Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=96664b39fa45c8f8cbcf1f41cf6193c2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's R1 Scarif Trooper WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: kman's R1 Scarif Trooper WIP Reply with quote

I probably should have started this a long time ago, but as it seems like this costume is finally starting to come together, I thought I'd post up a WIP.

My intent is to create one of the Rebel soldiers who participated in the Scarif assault in Rogue One. Not necessarily a specific trooper, although the Topps trooper (Private Calfor?) is a major inspiration.

My original inspiration for wanting to do the costume was the poster with the helmet (first seen as a Russian poster, and later reused for Dolby):

I realized I owned that actual helmet! The exact helmet was identified: A specific M1 army helmet used during Vietnam.

The the "Topps Trooper" card was released, I knew I was interested in the costume:

Having seen the movie, there is also what appears to be a tall bald trooper who wears a very similar configuration. He's not on screen long, but he's present in a number of the briefings and discussions when they decide to go to Scarif against orders. Perfect for me!

A pair of extremely useful threads here started identifying bits and pieces, most of which were real-world items repurposed for the movie. These are my favorites, much moreso than trying to recreate some unique thing you see on screen, because you know it's *exactly* what was used.

Rogue One Trooper Pix
and later:
Rebel SpecForces (R1) Standards Discussion

Initial speculation was that a bike helmet was hacked to create the blast shield over the M1 helmet, so I actually found a cheap bike helmet and hacked it up to make a nice proof of concept. The cover is just the vintage camo cover I already had, flipped inside out and painted a bit. The box is an Altoids tin with a spare greeblies I had printed at one point for a blaster prop, and of course a small tactical flashlight. Smile

I loved the look, but eventually I wanted it more accurate.

First thing I ordered was a Gorka 4 parka (stock image used here):

(and here's mine:)

Added to that the sniper veil and accurate British PLCE belt:

To that I added the USGI grenade vest. Used black, brown, and yellow paints to bring it up to spec:

And I picked up the French Foreign Legion Grenade Pouch:

The pants were ID'd at one point as Helikon SFU NEXT trousers. I purchased a pair in the Coyote color that seemed most commonly used.

It seems like they had a variety of shoes. Most common were simple leather low boots, with laces, or Chelsea boots, with leather soles and a stacked heel. Both had a leather buckle on top, sort of like tanker boots. I have a pair of Red Wings that should serve well for this; I just need to make a leather wrap around the top part of the shoe.

I recently ordered a Serbian Mess Kit from eBay, which gives me yet another pouch. It will be dyed blue, and the circle design with two lines will be painted onto it.

I have a selection of various old Vietnam and earlier militaria, so I might add a pouch or two more from that as the costume is finalized. I'm debating picking up one of the Greek Thomson Magazine Pouches, which were definitely used by many.

For the blaster, I'll be starting off with the Nerf Cassian Andor blaster, sanded and painted, and modifying some bits to bump up the accuracy. I still hope to replace the top scope and add the long A300-style perforated barrel to the front.

Here's an early result (pre-sanding off the Star Wars):

So combining the bits posted above, we're off to a good start, I think. (This is the prototype helmet, and the pre-mod blaster, and I had not yet ordered the mess kit pouch)

So now the upgrades, as we get closer to completion.

A few 3D printed parts have been added to increase the accuracy and make it look less Nerf-y. Still have more I want to do with it, though:

As mentioned above, I also wanted to increase the helmet shell accuracy away from the temporary bike helmet hack. Fortunately a 3D model was posted to Thingiverse by some generous soul. Here are some early stage shots:

Printing:

Gluing the pieces (my printer's build platform isn't large enough to do all in one print, sadly):

Test fit on the helmet looks good!

That's enough for one post, I think. I'll add some current helmet shots to the next post, to bring this current.

Last edited by kman () on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All about the helmet, for this post. Smile

The raw 3D print (shown above) was sanded, filled, bonded, primed, sanded some more, painted some more, and overall massaged into it's final form. I think it's going to look great.

Sanding and filling the flaws:

Filling primer:

Initial paint. Too light, too brown.

As dialing in the paint continued, the next phase was making a proper helmet cover. Here I'm playing with pattern drafting (as if I know what I'm doing!) using the vintage helmet cover (the camo one) as a base:

Test fitting the mockup cover. And here is the green that someone recommended for the blast ring. I was advised to darken it with some light black spray misting, but I'm still not sure about this green look.

Test fitting the actual fabric cover:

Sewing the top panel:

Attaching the top panel:

Test fitting before final attachment:

And the final cover!

Well, almost final. I still want to add the button hole slits seen in the poster. And a lot of weathering needs to be added, of course.

I finally some paint that I hope will be the color I'm looking for, for the blast ring: Graphite. I plan to repaint the blast ring this weekend. I'll also finish the side box and "flashlight", and add the bands back to bring it all together.

The blaster needs another coat of paint, so I have to do that before I can submit anything, whether I add more accurizing parts to the blaster or not.

And then I need to make the leather cuffs for my boots.

At that point, I think weathering and some submission photos, and this one should finally be off my list. Smile Unless anyone has noticed something I've missed?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the helmet (main part) this weekend.

The side box and flashlight have initial coats of paint... one more round of sanding and painting, and they should be done, too.

Oh, and I think there is supposed to be a yellow symbol of some sort on the helmet? Not the firebird from the promo poster. I suppose I need to add that, in addition to some weathering.

Didn't have a chance to paint the circle and lines on my Serbian mess kit pouch just yet, but hopefully this week.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no update!

This costume has been kinda back-burnered for a bit, but turns out a friend needs someone local with this costume for a fan film shoot this weekend, so front burner it is!

I've mostly been working on the blaster, which I was seriously unhappy with, but I've done some other tweaks here and there, too.

I still need to improve the scope (at some point... no time before this weekend's shoot), but I'm a lot happier with the blaster now. I 3D printed an adapter piece for the front of the blaster that let me connect a piece of pipe, drilled out per a template I found online, that lets me turn this into a more proper A310 as carried by my Topps trooper.

The Serbian Mess Kit has had the appropriate markings painted on it. Still need to clean them up, because (rookie mistake) the initial coat bled under the masking I put on the cloth, but I have a base to start with.

Prepping the mask from reference images:

Initial outcome, pre-clean up:

I painted the red stripe on the helmet side box.

I cut some aluminum bar stock to make the little silver metal rods that are seen stuck in the helmet bands, too.

(better pic to come!)

And last, my Gorka has been weathered quite a bit... by washing it 3 times in a row. People were right... you don't need to worry about the stock Gorka being too dark, and don't need special dye remover! Just wash it, and it naturally fades considerably!

(pic to come)

I need to add quite a bit of weathering to the cloth helmet cover (and some to the blast ring, too), and my belt and pants. Oh, and paint the yellow logo/symbol on the helmet's blast ring.

I still need to make some sort of lower leg wraps/cuffs, but that may or may not get done in time for the shoot this weekend.

Frankly, at that point, I might actually be ready to try to submit this thing!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally ready to submit this thing and see what happens!

I finally got a good pair of the vintage Swiss military gaiters:

Here's that weathered shot of my Gorka I had promised:

The USGI Grenade vest, ready to roll:

My PLCE belt with the French Triple Grenade pouch and the Serbian Mess kit:

And the helmet, weathered and ready for battle!

I had a couple of shots taken at the fan film, since they were all set up, and I'm thrilled with how they came out!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to swap a pair of black boots in place of my beloved Red Wings, since I'm using the black Swiss gaiters at the moment. But it'll do until I get around to making proper leather wraps in brown leather.

Meanwhile, I'm approved! Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I love how your vest turned out!

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: