Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c00945893c151b225df1e6896b633a80Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

KMan's OT Pilot WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was approved, I've done a fair bit of trooping, pretty exclusively in my Pilot. I've worked up a list of things I need to tweak on the costume.

1) Need more velcro for the leg flares. Those metal flares are just too heavy for the little squares of Velcro that I used. Or, need some alternate method.

2) I want to add some Velcro to the back of my chest box and front of the flak vest. Those things twist out of position way too easily.

3) I also might try to fix the straps in position. The chest box seems to crawl higher up my neck throughout a troop, and it's hard to move it down once it does, without taking it off, which I don't want to do during a troop.

4) My chest box hose is a bit rigid. I might look into something more flexy.

5) More weathering.

Along those lines, I finally added some weathering to my helmet! I'll probably tweak this more, but it's a start. At least I don't look quite as "fresh from the academy"! Also, the die cut labels were catching little threads from the fuzzy lining of my helmet bag. So that needed to stop.

First I clear coated it with a matte clear spray. This should also seal the edges of the stickers, so I don't have to worry about them accidentally peeling up as easily, no more fuzzys, and better for the next step. Say goodbye to the shiny!

Next: Paint. I used Darth Hair's technique of watered-down acrylic paints to get a base layer or grime, plus some hits with the black spray paint and paper towels. Again, I may want to tweak it more, but it's a start!

Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking very good. Smile

If you're looking to weather your suit I'd definitely recommend getting an air brush. I never used one before but broke down and bought one on Amazon to weather one of my suits and it's one of the best things I've bought off of there, it's a great tool. I just got a simple one that came with a small air compressor, it was around $55-65 I think, and came with the air brush, a hose, a wrench, some kind of glass thing that I can't figure out what the heck it's for, and an air compressor, and it came in a nice little box to keep it in. It's a basic one but it works great. Would also work well for weathering helmets and chestboxes and stuff.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
That's looking very good. Smile

If you're looking to weather your suit I'd definitely recommend getting an air brush. I never used one before but broke down and bought one on Amazon to weather one of my suits and it's one of the best things I've bought off of there, it's a great tool. I just got a simple one that came with a small air compressor, it was around $55-65 I think, and came with the air brush, a hose, a wrench, some kind of glass thing that I can't figure out what the heck it's for, and an air compressor, and it came in a nice little box to keep it in. It's a basic one but it works great. Would also work well for weathering helmets and chestboxes and stuff.

Thanks! I'm not super happy with the firebird side. I might scrub some of that off and play with it some more.

Not sure about weathering my suit. I'll most likely punt a bit and just let it weather naturally, but we'll see.

I did pick up an airbrush! The plan is to use it with my regular tool compressor. I haven't actually opened it yet, but we'll see. It's a bit intimidating!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

So, I have wooden leg flares. I attached them/the holder to my boot with bobby pins. Works well. Probably not enough for metal flares, though, with the increased weight.

I was thinking about velcro versus maybe magnets for holding my chest box in place. One thing that helped me was shortening my hose so that it didn't push the box around so much. I took it out of the box, cut some length off, and put it back in, then sewed my magnet a pocket on my flight suit to keep that end in the same place all the time. This has really helped keep the chest box from getting pushed to the side.

I haven't figured out how to keep the neck strap from moving some and squishing my collar down in time.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad, Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Looking good!

So, I have wooden leg flares. I attached them/the holder to my boot with bobby pins. Works well. Probably not enough for metal flares, though, with the increased weight.

I was thinking about velcro versus maybe magnets for holding my chest box in place. One thing that helped me was shortening my hose so that it didn't push the box around so much. I took it out of the box, cut some length off, and put it back in, then sewed my magnet a pocket on my flight suit to keep that end in the same place all the time. This has really helped keep the chest box from getting pushed to the side.

I haven't figured out how to keep the neck strap from moving some and squishing my collar down in time.

For leg flares, I've read about solutions as simple as attaching popsicle sticks to the inside of the holder, that shove down into the boot. I'm hoping for a more elegant solution, but but if it comes to that, I might try that. I want to avoid a clip of any sort, though, because (1) I want the holder to sit on the top of the boots, not overlapping them (on screen examples were all over because apparently they had this issue, too, but it's believed the intent of the costume designer was for them to sit a bit above the boot, so you technically should see a little orange between the boot top and the flare holder), which is why I have my Velcro where I do, and (2) wear and tear on the boot itself from repeatedly pinching it with a clip. If I end up doing something like that, I'll probably try to use aluminum bar stock instead of popsicle sticks.

My DroidWelder hose is stiffer than the standard DH hoses, which is good from a visual standpoint (IMO), but makes this issue worse. I might try to bend it to a more "friendly" curve with a hot water bath... or maybe some wire or bend rods of some sort inside. Or I might see if it's possible to find really flexible hose that's accurate. But a good patch of Velcro is the only thing I can think of that might otherwise hold that sucker in place.

The straps might be able to be fixed in place if I take them out and fix the lengths by knotting them inside the box, or something along those lines, so they can't slide to adjust anymore. That, and then perhaps a spot of Velcro on the back of the collar? Not sure about that, but it would probably help. May not be necessary if I can fix the box well enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: