Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f6d069585cfa9af42d279bc07c59bce3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sea_Marshall: Edrio & Benthic Two Tubes WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea_Marshall ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Sea_Marshall: Edrio & Benthic Two Tubes WIP Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks for having me on the forums. My wife asked me, "What rebel would you be?" and Benthic, Saw Gerrera's 2nd in Command, and member off Enfys Nest's Cloud Riders, was my answer. I love that the Tognath race has shown up in two films and comic books. The raw mercenary feel of these characters and the gritty real world look of them is perfect for me and is everything I love about Star Wars.

Through the natural progression of the build, I'm looking to start with Edrio as I upgrade into the backpack and duster for Benthic. I will cross into Solo's Benthic once the duster is complete. Some arm wraps, necklace, belt grenade... There aren't many real differences, just upgrades and accessory replacement as it moves into Rogue One. (I would really like to do the hood and reflective mask from "Solo/Enfys Nest's Gang" visual guide at some point) - of course pending CRLs, this will be a fun build either way.

Besides accessories, the major changes are belts and boots. Currently 501st allows the same boots for both. There are also weathering specifics on the Tognath helmets/breathers, but I think most are willing to let that slide.

Thanks for following along and I hope to see this progress move forward quickly. Most of the major parts are arriving in the coming weeks to the end of November and I should be on my way come December.

Last edited by Sea_Marshall () on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the first few items I have on hand. Lots more are on order and should be arriving by end of month.

I have a CR10-S 3D printer and I've been putting it to work this past week. I've collected Thingiverse files and printed them up:

Edrio/Benthic Planetary Defense brooch:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3137738

Edrio X-Wing Chest Box:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2966967

Edrio/Benthic X-Wing Flares:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1291628

(NOTE: While I'm not certain this is the accurate greeblie, it looks pretty close)

Also picked up some thin gloves that I think will do for the bone plating and what I felt were the most accurate parachute silk color and duster colors (Wallaby)

Benthic Canister Endcap:
This was acquired from a Benthic in the Spanish Garrison, who referred me to a designer in the UK Garrison, and was then told to "keep it secret, keep it safe" and refer to him for the files. You can find him on IG: @cwilson3067

It prints and fits a 4in x 2ft PVC pipe that can be picked up at a local hardware store.

More to come! I have the backpack frame and some tubes, just need to check the sizes for reference. Very excited for this build! Helmet coming in next week and just got word my parachute clip and duster leather is in!
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SUPER STOKED for this find! I believe research brought me to the found part: a parachute harness ejector snap.

This is like the Lothlorian leaf for Benthic. This piece of hardware is so prominent! Love having the real deal.

I went looking for an M75 Swedish hiking backpack frame, but broke down and got this US Alice pack variation. I figure, we'll never see it, but would be nice to have the found parts. One day...?

Pretty sure this is the scarf used, but who knows. Looks close enough.

And a side note, I have this Bison leather that I've been storing in my closet for years. I think I'll try to fashion the belts out of this. Looking at reference photos, the leather they used is like a 3oz veg tanned leather that's dyed. In the interest of saving money, I might make the belt from this and it'll have a special significance. CRLs just say, "Dark brown leather belt". It's dark, its brown, and it's leather!

6 yards of the Wallaby vinyl just arrived! Looks to be about the right color and after some weathering, it's going to be awesome! This will have to be a custom made duster. Not sure where everyone else is getting there's but this is my route.

Stoked! Gear is trickling in.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very cool. I'm really impressed with the research and I'm looking forward to watching your build!
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been so excited for PVC drainage pipe before.

These are 4 in. x 2 ft. pieces of PVC drain pipe for about $8 a piece. The canisters on Benthic's back are about shoulder's width apart and these will likely have to be trimmed. I've picked up some strapping and will look at the details closer at a later time.

The canister end cap STL was provided by @CWilson3067 on Instagram. I'm printing them myself, but you need 10 per backpack and they take 5.5 hours each to print. They're sized for the 4 in. PVC mouths and fit right in. VERY excited to put this kit together.

Fun discovery today: Edrio's X-Wing chest box is the same as Luke's in ANH(?) Nice attention to detail there.

I think this and the brooch will get painted up as the next major step of the build. Does anyone know what the metal bits are on the X-Wing box? I think two of them are button snap halves, while I'm not sure what the dial is made of. I've 3D printed the chest box and having metal greeblies will be a nice touch.

Last edited by Sea_Marshall () on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update!

Picked up some black canvas to make Benthic's backpack's backpack. You can see it here in a screen cap from Rogue One:

This is the same stuff Kylo Ren's pleated fabric is made of:

I picked up some hardware as well. Another scratch built item to make for this kit.

In the theme of scratch building, here are a few pictures of my glove progress. I've placed masking tape on the gloves I'll be using and traced out an approximate glove based on screen references. Currently planning to use 3mm Komatex plastic to cut and shape the gloves parts. There's going to be a lot of guess work for several of my items, but hopefully everything works out and matches the screen references I have.

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those metal bits are the same ones I used in my Imperial Disguise Jyn. Let me see if I can find a link for you.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! Did not delete the email!

Quote:
1 Cone Knob with Disk
1 Tie Jack

It looks like the X-wing knob is here - http://www.elvistrooper.com/xtool.htm

The other metal piece looks like a tie jack and is here - http://www.elvistrooper.com/tiekit.htm (this page also has a knob piece)
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
yes! Did not delete the email!

Quote:
1 Cone Knob with Disk
1 Tie Jack

It looks like the X-wing knob is here - http://www.elvistrooper.com/xtool.htm

The other metal piece looks like a tie jack and is here - http://www.elvistrooper.com/tiekit.htm (this page also has a knob piece)

Fantastic! I messaged the vendor and hopefully will hear back. Thanks for the referral.
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the referral to Elvistrooper. I foresee myself ordering a bunch of that stuff in the future. For the time being, I picked up the X-Wing knob and purchased a box of button snaps from a fabric store.

Something I've happily discovered is a way to make the breathing/x-wing tube on the cheap and fast! Albeit my hands and fingers still hurt from cutting a bunch of vinyl tubing and painfully sliding it onto another tube, it looks about where I want it to be. I still need to make the part that attaches to the mask and tapers to the tube system I have, but that will wait until the helmet is ready to go.

I've seen various methods to get the tubes done but I wasn't totally sold on any of them. This literally came to me in a dream (you know you have a problem when you start dreaming of hobby progress...) and Two-Tubes literally has two tubes for the breather.

501st CRLs say they taper to approx. 3/4 inch and I'd agree with that. Fortunately the local hardware store had this available. I picked up some tube cutters for about $12 and went to work chopping a bunch of rings and threading them on like beadwork.

I'm particularly stoked for this method. Other methods concerned me about weight on the mask and strain on my neck. The crafting processes seemed more work than I wanted to do. This is just chopped tubing on tubing. A drop of super glue on each ring and will prime silver, paint in the black bushing. This is light weight and are actually functioning tubes if I want to use them in any way.

Stoked for these BOOTS: "Robert Wayne Easton Boots Harness"

They appear to be only sold used and the new versions don't have the strapping. These will need to be weathered quite a bit to get the dark dark brown/black in the film. I feel good about these. The threading and shape below the strap on the inner foot isn't the same, zipper is there... but that's the only real differences I see. Good enough.

Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas comes early!

Tognath, Edrio/Benthic, Two Tubes helmet kit by @sithcamaro on Instagram. Website found here: http://sithcamaro.com/index.html

Great looking kit, a few inaccuracies, but pretty close. Material is easy to work with in preparation for paint. I filed out the eyes and parts of the mask. Snug fit with the padding installed, vision is pretty obscured, hah, but that's the price of awesome.

First coat of silver is down for the tubes. Lots of painting coming up. Looking forward to doing the helmet, but still lots of prep to go on that piece too. I have the suede for the neck piece but need to put in the time for that one. But now that the helmet is here I can move forward!
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base CO
Freedom Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been a CRL written for Benthic. I have a base member that is ready to submit her Benthic but if there is no CRL to go by then how can it be judged. Hers MAY be the first one submitted

Joel Webne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Rebel Legion draft floating around. As far as I know there is an approved Benthic in the UK, but it's been done before.

I'm following the 501st Legion (Underworld Detachment) CRL to guide me:
BENTHIC: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:DZ_benthic
EDRIO: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:DZ_edrio_two_tubes

You already saw the Rebel Legion draft: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85908

I'm not even an approved Rebel Legion member so I'm pretty sure I'm no authority in the matter. Regarding your friend, standards or not, just compare their costume to a screen reference. There are a few good ones. I'm building my kit based off 501st CRLs and my own research and references for accuracy. Even the 501st CRL has issues, but it's pretty close.

I've been studying the costume pretty extensively and may be able to provide some thoughts, but I'm in no way an authority nor part of an approval processes. If you look like the screen shot references, I don't see why it wouldn't pass.

It would help if your friend posted a WIP with detailed images of their parts for reference to help move the application along though. I hope that my WIP is informative and if the costume approves, then I've got a solid road map for others to follow as well.

Thanks for commenting! Happy building.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base CO
Freedom Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that we have an approved Edrio in Freedom base and he wrote the standard for it.
I we can use the 501st standard since it has been approved there then I dont see an issue

Joel Webne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great so far. I love the mask!

And I'm glad the Elvistrooper supplier worked well. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: