Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cd9b20eca98fcf9da1fd0323ef300f7bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ERT Shoes - Other options?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: ERT Shoes - Other options? Reply with quote

I am currently in a group build with members of my base for an ERT and I am stuck on one part of the build. I had a question regarding the shoes.

I know they are the Israeli Commando boots and that they are preferred. Unfortunately spending $60+ on shoes is not in the cards at the present time. I am wondering how lenient judging is on shoes. Can I submit with boots that have a similar color and tread? Must the toe cap etc all match? Considering that the gaiters cover the top portions of the shoes, I figured that part wouldn't be as crucial as the bottoms but thought I would ask here and get feedback. Thank you.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered the toe guard the most important piece, but not being a judge that's just conjecture on my part.
Krysis (Evan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered some knock-offs for about 35$, down side is they are coming from overseas and the shipping time is terrible

They are not the best... but pretty close

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Ankle-Martin-Boot-Canvas-Lace-up-Tactical-Boots-Casual-Shoes-Breathable/113146911540?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413452315711&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
EduArdPc (Eduard Carol)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people living in Europe, you can find them in the Decathlon stores (if there are any in your country). https://www.decathlon.co.uk/about-decathlon.html

Here the ones in the spanish store: https://www.decathlon.es/botas-de-trekking-en-el-desierto-desert-500-marrones-id_8492960.html
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toe cap is a requirement on the shoes.

Palladium Pampas hi-tops are also acceptable.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the tips. Now to find a pair in womens sizing. Rolling Eyes

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:

I purchased the Commando boots...and...
wear men's boots for all my Trooper costumes...

generally....subtract 2 shoe sizes and you should be fine...

in other words...

in women's shoes I take size 9

and all my men's boots are size 7

and I have never had a problem.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:

I purchased the Commando boots...and...
wear men's boots for all my Trooper costumes...

generally....subtract 2 shoe sizes and you should be fine...

in other words...

in women's shoes I take size 9

and all my men's boots are size 7

and I have never had a problem.

Same. I wear an 8-8.5 in women's and a 6-6.5 in men's. But it's hard to find half sizes in men's that small and sixes are tough sometimes, too. So, if your foot is smaller than that, you'll have a hard time finding the right size, but you might get lucky. Or try the largest kid's size. I've done that before with cleats for sports (I played football - they don't make womens' football cleats.) For these...tougher, I'd think.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true....
for the Endor Commando boots...go with a 7 and wear thick socks...they are pretty comfy boots...

Zahal sells some pretty small boots...all the way down to 3.5

https://zahal.org/product/scout-commando-canvas-boots/

unfortunately...it looks like they don't have the brown ones anymore...but they do have khaki color....

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wabbit89"]
Schph Gochi wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:

Same. I wear an 8-8.5 in women's and a 6-6.5 in men's. But it's hard to find half sizes in men's that small and sixes are tough sometimes, too. So, if your foot is smaller than that, you'll have a hard time finding the right size, but you might get lucky. Or try the largest kid's size. I've done that before with cleats for sports (I played football - they don't make womens' football cleats.) For these...tougher, I'd think.

Kids shoes! This is genius! Yeah, I'm a size 8 and finding a size 6/6.5 in mens sizing has proven difficult. I can't afford a "new" pair so been scouring Ebay. This may be the way I get what I need. Thank you!

wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LeiaAurora"]
wabbit89 wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:

Kids shoes! This is genius! Yeah, I'm a size 8 and finding a size 6/6.5 in mens sizing has proven difficult. I can't afford a "new" pair so been scouring Ebay. This may be the way I get what I need. Thank you!

Glad to help! Yeah, if you can find the biggest kid's/youth size, they'll often fit. Good luck!
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I don't know how I lucked out but I was able to find these boots on sale on the Palladium site for $28 brand new. With shipping, it came to $35.
https://palladiumboots.com/collections/womens-boots/products/95172-251-m

I had some tan Fiebing's dye leftover from another project so I used that to fix the color issue and then used wet coffee grinds to weather them. I removed the logo tag with a seam ripper and was good to go.

Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a reference photo I created when I was a Trooper judge:

On the left are the original canvas Sierra boots that were used for both the Rebel and Scout Trooper costumes. Note the combined sole and toe cap. The laces extend almost to the toe! Also, note that there are no seams on the upper - it appears to be one piece of canvas, with a small reinforcement on the heel. Sadly, these have not been made for about 30 years. Center are the currently available Zahal/Palladium boots. While similar, you can see the soles and toe cap are not the same, and the laces extend stop less that halfway down. There is also a prominent seam joining from the end of the laces to the sole that is not present on the Sierra's. While not accurate, they are the closest items still in production and available to order from several vendors. Last, on the right, are current US Army boots. In addition to the lack of the toe cap/sole, the laces barely extend past the ankle. There are a multitude of seams and cut out areas. The boots are also made of suede leather, completely different in texture from the canvas used on the originals.

The Zahal/Palladium boots were/are only available up to a US size 13, so as judges we granted approval of modified current issue boots for applicants with feet size 14 and up. The toe cap had to be recreated, and the gaiters had to be cut so that the extra seams were covered and to extend down the toe to simulate the extended lace eyelets on the originals.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image! I have a pair of the Zahal/Palladium boots and they are actually quite useful to me for work. No joke.

Mac Bragg wrote:
Here's a reference photo I created when I was a Trooper judge:

On the left are the original canvas Sierra boots that were used for both the Rebel and Scout Trooper costumes. Note the combined sole and toe cap. The laces extend almost to the toe! Also, note that there are no seams on the upper - it appears to be one piece of canvas, with a small reinforcement on the heel. Sadly, these have not been made for about 30 years. Center are the currently available Zahal/Palladium boots. While similar, you can see the soles and toe cap are not the same, and the laces extend stop less that halfway down. There is also a prominent seam joining from the end of the laces to the sole that is not present on the Sierra's. While not accurate, they are the closest items still in production and available to order from several vendors. Last, on the right, are current US Army boots. In addition to the lack of the toe cap/sole, the laces barely extend past the ankle. There are a multitude of seams and cut out areas. The boots are also made of suede leather, completely different in texture from the canvas used on the originals.

The Zahal/Palladium boots were/are only available up to a US size 13, so as judges we granted approval of modified current issue boots for applicants with feet size 14 and up. The toe cap had to be recreated, and the gaiters had to be cut so that the extra seams were covered and to extend down the toe to simulate the extended lace eyelets on the originals.

WIP: Rogue One Yavin Operations Trooper and Officer

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: