Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=58bd5458aae9acea7c2b36fa24991086Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Method to distress fabric for TFA Pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randallsbrooks ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Method to distress fabric for TFA Pilot Reply with quote

I am just about complete on my build, which I will post in a separate Forum post later. My next step is distressing and weathering. For non fabric, I use acrylic black, pavement, and raw umber. But when it comes to fabric, I am uncertain. I have seen on YouTube people using tea or crumpling and lightly spraying paint. I was recently suggested to use a crayon long wise (I am not familiar with this method).

My question is, how did y'all do the weathering of the flight suit, vest, harness etc? Are they any YouTube videos you followed?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone recently post that they rubbed their costume on the side of a tire (practice first!) and another that he literally dragged it with his feet all over a dirty warehouse floor. LOL
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just dry brush paint onto my suits to weather them but now I use an air brush and it looks infinitely better. I bought an air brush set on Amazon that had the air brush, hoses, connectors and even a mini air compressor for around $40-50 and next to buying a 3D printer I swear that it's the best money that I've ever spent for costuming.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
randallsbrooks ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an air brush but never use it. What colors do you use? Just black acrylic? Is there a technique you would recommend? Like laying out the suit and swipe around at 12 inches?? Etc?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randallsbrooks wrote:
I have an air brush but never use it. What colors do you use? Just black acrylic? Is there a technique you would recommend? Like laying out the suit and swipe around at 12 inches?? Etc?

I used a mixture of brown paint and black paint. Brown with some black in it. Just black would be fine, too, I just happen to like the bit of brown. I think that the brown paint that I use is acrylic Liquitix ash brown, if I remember right, it has kind of an old motor oil color to it when it dries.

What I did, I just brushed along the seams, pocket edges, the bottom of the pants legs, and any other place that seemed like it would logically collect dirt or just get dirty. I also did just a light misting under the arms. I did multiple passes over various places, getting some areas darker than others. I did a bit of "dirtying" on the belt and ejection harness as well. Just take your time and go slow with it. I also did a little dry brushing with just the brown paint itself on some of the pocket flaps, the pen loops on the arm, and a couple other edges on places that seemed like they would get more wear.

I hung up my items when I air brushed them but they could be laid down as well, I don't think that it would really matter. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone else still looking for techniques for this: my squadron has found that car wax worka surprisingly well for this. It leaves good greasy stains that stay after machine washing.
Pride Squadron Mod
Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Issue 12 Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: