Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=401f3dd2585d9133918a027605e3afe3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP - Rebel One's Luke Skywalker (Jabba's Palace)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelOne (Daniel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, DarkQueen!
RebelOne (Daniel)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year-and-a-half of sewing classes, I'm finally ready to finish this costume!

I think I know most of the details from previous posts, but still have a few questions:
1. Pants: Do they have a pockets? If so, what style of pocket?
2. Shirt Cuffs: How are they closed ... buttoned, zipper?
3. Shirt Bib: I was thinking of using rare earth magnets to hold the upper right corner of the bib (giving the option of leaving it opened or closed). What do you think?
4. Zipper under left sleeve: "...hidden zipper was installed under the left sleeve." (Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy, p. 132). It's difficult to tell from the photo in the book, but the hidden zipper appears to run the entire length of the sleeve. Do you agree? Also, if the sleeves were so tight, wouldn't there be a zipper on the right sleeve too?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockets? You are an optimist. Nobody in movies needs pockets. Razz
But I like your magnet idea. I've used that on another costume.
I'm pretty sure the zipper runs down the side, not the sleeve, to make it possible to get in and out of the costume. It's very tightly fitted.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnets is a great idea for that bib! I did a baby snap, but magnets would work well. The snap doesn't cut it, but I mostly wear it open, so whatever.

And I closed my cuffs with hidden velcro. It works great.

As for the shirt itself, I cheated. I modified a men's dress shirt. I just button it on like usual. The bib covers up all the buttons. Granted, my bib goes all the way down because I didn't realize it stopped above the waist, but for Endor Luke there's a little more leeway. When I finish my Death Star Luke, I'll remake the shirt and do some sort of modification for that.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad (Endor Five), Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron, Rouge Squadron (Matrix 77).
RebelOne (Daniel)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the zipper runs down the side, not the sleeve, to make it possible to get in and out of the costume.

I agree. Logically, it would go on the torso, not the arm. When I look again at the shirt photo on p. 132, there appears to be something sticking out at the bottom of the left torso side seam, maybe a zipper pull tab. I think the book may be unclear, incorrect, or not like the movie when it indicates the zipper is under the left sleeve.

Quote:

Good idea! I sewed the cuffs in my mockups, but was having trouble getting my hands through them.

Quote:
I just button it on like usual. The bib covers up all the buttons.

This would make it a lot easier to put on the shirt!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Good idea! I sewed the cuffs in my mockups, but was having trouble getting my hands through them.

Quote:
I just button it on like usual. The bib covers up all the buttons.

This would make it a lot easier to put on the shirt![/quote]

It works. I think that when I do my next shirt, I will still modify a men's dress shirt in some way. I just have to figure out how to hide the buttons on the bottom part if I do the bib correctly. But I have some ideas. Will have to research and think more, but yeah, it's a cinch to pull on and off. The other thing you could do is maybe just wear it like a karate gi? Overlapping closure, like most shirts in Star Wars. And just velcro the bottom part to the top so it doesn't shift?

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad (Endor Five), Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron, Rouge Squadron (Matrix 77).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: