Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6842ce5a92a6f59c9cb217211757edbfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helping My Wife With Jyn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenCloak (Reef J Johnston)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Helping My Wife With Jyn Reply with quote

Hey Rebels!

Delta-40 here of the Takodana Base. Looking to enlist some help. Ever since FanX18 my wife has wanted to have a Legion approvable Jyn Erso costume and possible even join our ranks.
Back in September, and without the knowledge I have now, I reached out to ANOVOS in regards to their full Jyn Erso ensemble which will include everything except the boots, scarf, and poncho. Just this last month ANOVOS has gotten back to me and says that the order is ready and just in need of payment before shipping.
My question for you is; do I go ahead and order from ANOVOS for a total of $502.49? Or are there others here with such legendary sewing skills that might be willing to help me?
If I go with ANOVOS, then I do have to do so before 6PM Saturday the 15th.
Jan
Thank you!

Regards,
RC-72954 gunship
Sea_Marshall ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the urgency of your Anovos time limit, I'll give you my two cents. From a costumer/builder perspective, $500 for a (near) full blown costume at the Anovos standard sounds good. Just consider the Anovos Kylo helmet at $700, and that's just one piece of the puzzle.

You go light speed into the costume and may need to do some minor modifications, and if you're saying they're ready to ship, even more reason. From what I've heard, and never having bought anything myself, they take a notoriously long time to fulfill their orders. If you can get Jyn, worry free, hassle free, good to go out of the box for $500, that investment alone is worth the time and materials you'd put in.

Other Jyn builders will know more, and I'm just speaking from my perspective. I don't know how accurate/approvable that costume is, but I hear good things about their quality. There is an argument to the pride of wearing your own self made, handpicked items, but if someones going to make it for you, why not go with a reputable vendor out of the gates?

For $500 she's Jyn for Christmas or New Years and trooping a month later. For anything else, she's Jyn by spring, probably summer, after putting in the time and research to find all of the materials and craft it yourself or waiting for a commission to complete, and that's if you get it right the first time. Worst case, you buy the kit, hate it, then sell it to another Jyn hopeful at the Anovos price and they don't have to wait for the turnaround it usually takes. Everyone wins.

Disclaimer
: I'm not an approved RL member yet, nor have I looked into CRLs for Jyn. I don't know if that costume is approvable out of the box. But if it is, what a Christmas present that will be!
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! That is awesome that your wife is becoming a Jyn Very Happy She is the best!

OK, so, ANOVOS. No one knows what this costume is like because no one has received it, unfortunately. There are girls in the FB group that ordered the Jyn ensemble back in February 2017 and *still* haven't received their costume. I think it's shipping "Winter 2019", which gives ANOVOS until nearly the end of March, and they very well may push it back again (but hopefully not).

So, it's a crapshoot. You may have timed it well and it might actually ship in the next 4 months. I wouldn't count on receiving it this month, though. Or next month. I think there's still some costumes on there from the Force Awakens that still haven't shipped.

There is a super talented sewer on Etsy, Robyn, who makes the shirt and vest to RL standards. (If pressed, she has said she will do the pants, but she mentioned those are pretty pricey since they're extremely involved!) Also, it's been said before around here, but there's a bunch of us Jyns that had never sewed before in our lives and learned to sew in order to become Jyn. We all (along with amazingly supportive veteran sewers) hang out on a FB group called Stardust Sisters, if you need more guidance!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great input from both! Thank you!

I've sent ANOVOS an email asking for more detail and questioned their shipping & delivery time. They haven't responded yet, but I'm hearing more and more about their inability to deliver items. So I figure that if I don't hear back from them in time, or if it doesn't pan out then I'll forgo their offer and refer to the good people of these forums and Etsy in helping my wife join the Rebellion.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleurderys wrote:
We all (along with amazingly supportive veteran sewers) hang out on a FB group called Stardust Sisters, if you need more guidance!

This is awesome! Thank you! My wife has joined the group and I'll be sure to tell her that she's in good hands!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I'm just getting to this! Usually I'm much faster.

fleurderys said most of what I would say. The only thing I have to add is that several of the girls in the Jyn group recently received just the gloves and Anovos had changed the material without notifying them in advance, there were some construction issues, and the sizes were off.

I'm really active in the Jyn group, as is fleurderys and a bunch of other Jyns. We can walk you and your wife through the whole build beginning to end. I'm one of the Jyns who never sewed before (could not sew on a button never sewed before). I started with the scarf, and then I made the vest and from there worked my way through the rest of it. It got approved. If I can do that, anyone can. We have a bunch of tutorials (many of which have also made their way to the DB94 website), reference images, and uber helpful Jyns. There are also vendors who make the various pieces of the costume. If you can't find a pants vendor, one of my To Do things after the holiday is to go through Amazon again and find cheap modable pants, so hopefully I'll have that list within the next couple weeks.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Amelia!

Looking at some of the sellers on Etsy, are there any preferred or favorites? Wadewilson9? Hucos? PaperFlowerDesigns?
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Paper Flower Designs from the Stardust Sisters Facebook group and her work has been approved by RL.

I am not familiar with the other two sellers and they are not on our Stardust Sisters list, so I'm afraid I can't give you much guidance. If you have pictures of what they're currently selling, we can try to take a look and guesstimate whether and how many modifications you'd need to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: