Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f89cbcade588298b3e79dcfe4c13e43fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Star Wars Adventures #4 Leia Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Adventures #4 Leia Build Reply with quote

I was on a comic book kick over the last few months what with "Splinter In The Mind's Eye" and "Harbringer" so I started looking at other comic books and reading through them. I ended up going all the way back to 2017 and starting the "Star Wars Adventures" series. The second I saw the cover on book 4, I wanted to make the costume.

Here is the entire comic online if anyone cares to take a look at it.
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Star-Wars-Adventures-2017/Issue-4?id=125889

The costume is painted differently on the cover than it is in the books but I was okay with that as the inside costume was a beautiful reddish/coral color and I wanted a bright costume.

First step was research. I pulled as many of the frames as I could and saved them as reference in my Imgur album.

Initially, the costume didn't look that complicated. Boy, was I wrong on that one. The further in the story got, the more detailed the costume became. Shocked

Since I needed full front, back, right, & left references, I pulled those photos first. In some frames, it appeared that Leia's coat was all one color the full back and in others there was detailing. Since I have seen this go either way, I decided to go the easier route and make the jacket all one color in back as there was ample reference for that.

Once I had the reference images, I pulled out my handy sketch book and started sketching out what I thought the costume would look like and what it would need patterning wise.

I didn't have markers so I colored in the piping etc with a highlighter and a red pen
dunno
Not an artist so forgive the poor attempt LOL

Now that I had an idea of what I needed, I then drew out a potential pattern concept for the coat. I knew that that would be the piece that would require the most work as the rest of the costume is fairly simple. Here is my preliminary idea for the coat pattern.

After that was done, I went to JoAnn's to see if I could find a pattern that would work as a base pattern for what I needed. I lucked out in two ways. I found a pattern that could be modified for both the under dress and the jacket AND it was on sale for $5. Mr. Green

This is the pattern I went with, View B.

As you can see, it has the length, the collar and the general shape I was going to need for the costume and could be used for both the dress and the coat.

I bought the pattern and took it home and did a rough outline on the actual pattern directions to "see" what I needed before I actually made the coat.

For the record, this pattern runs big! It put me at an 18 and I ended up being a 14

The tricky part was then taping the pattern together once it had been cut out to eliminate the princess seams etc.

Once the pieces were taped together, I sketched out on the actual pattern the "yokes" needed and then cut those pieces out making sure to notate on the pieces to add seam allowance for the additional segments.

I have to note here that I was struggling to find a good fabric for the coat. I had initially thought the coat was red but when I would compare shots of the coat to fabric in store, it always was too dark and didn't look right. I was perusing the satin section at JoAnn's when I stumbled across this coral satin fabric. I'm not sure why I paused when I saw it but I pulled out the images and compared them and it was pretty spot on. I purchased 5 yards of it immediately and was then ready to actually make the garments!

I cut out the lining of the garment first and then the front and back sections.

For the black sections, I used a stretch knit that I found at Walmart for $5/yard.

I ended up buying 4 packages of the Wright's piping in Yellow for the trim on the costume and it worked great with both the satin and the knit. I just keep making costumes that require piping. Laughing

The sleeves I initially made poofy to mimic the cartoonish aspect of hers and used trim and fabric paint to make the circles on the sleeves.

For the circles themselves, I used the lid from my Too Faced Makeup Primer and the lid from a hairspray bottle to trace the 2 different sized circles. Once the shapes were there, I filled them in with Tulip Fabric Paint.

After it was all put together, I did an initial try on.

And a side by side for me to review after I had finished.

Sorry for the dirty mirror. I keep forgetting to clean it.
Laughing

Once the jacket was done, I tackled the dress. I used the same pattern and made the dress out of the same knit as I had done the yokes on the coat.

I already had the black leggings in my closet and the black boots are the same ones I used for my Jedi.

I have an amazingly talented friend who also loves Star Wars and is great at 3D printing so he was the one I approached about creating the gemstones for both the headband and the coat. He modeled them in one evening and got them to me super fast.

Once I had them, I sanded them really well and then painted them with a turquoise Krylon spray paint.

I ended up buying a $2 headband at Walmart and spray painted it gold to emulate Leia's headband. I then used craftfoam and Gorilla Glue to attach the side pieces needed to go on each side of the main gemstone. I also glued the pieces to the headband and let it sit overnight. I had no real stand to keep the band upright so I used one of my stuffed animals to keep it standing up.

Here is the finished crown.

The next hurdle was finding gloves that matched the coat. The color is so random that I knew this was going to be difficult. I contemplated buying a tan pair and dyeing them but I knew I couldn't be sure of color with the dye so I started scouring Amazon in search of them.

I finally found a pair of gloves for a very reasonable price and crossed my fingers that they would match and they were pretty darn close! I was so happy to have found them.
Mr. Green

It wasn't an exact match but close enough, I felt.

When the gems were done, I made the biggest one into a brooch by gluing a pin back to it and the size was perfect.

The hairstyle I was able to replicate with my own hair as it's pretty long.
Here was my first attempt.

Here is my actual hairstyle at the correct height etc.

I took submission pics and sent them in.

When I received feedback, the majority of it had to do with the jacket not having the back yoke and detail. Luckily this was an easy fix. I sketched out what was being asked and what was needed from me to make it work.

The back yoke needed to be added in black fabric with the yellow piping and the collar needed to match references since the judges felt it was a clearer representation of the costume.
I also had not seen this but the cuff at the end of the sleeves doesn't have piping that goes all the way around. It only goes a portion of the way so I had to repattern the sleeve to allow for that piping to be inserted but not fully.

There were also a couple of small changes I needed to make but I made the requested ones and here are my final submission photos.

I was approved with this costume this morning. Leia Buns

If I were to ever make this again, or offer advice to anyone making it, I would suggest trying to make the coat more fitted to the wearer at the waist. This was difficult because it had to flare out yet be fitted in the waist and still close at the bust line and come out in the inverted "V". Perhaps a different pattern would have worked better but for my purposes and for my level of skill, this is what worked for me.
Very Happy

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun design! It's refreshing to see her in something that isn't white or gray.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
What a fun design! It's refreshing to see her in something that isn't white or gray.

I agree!! The color was definitely something that drew me to this costume.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: