Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aaa7ba673b3a8fb593fd7d1bfc02e2fbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso - Eadu Build (fleurderys)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso - Eadu Build (fleurderys) Reply with quote

Since I finished my Jyn disguise last fall, Eadu is the last one left to complete my Jyn closet (as seen in Rogue One).

I like to start small since completing small things gives me the courage to move on to the big things (I'm relatively inexperienced and untrained at sewing and spent many many weeks freaking out about the poncho/concho). I began with the bandolier, which you can kind of see in this lightened up screen grab:

Hot Toys' Eadu is quite good to use for big construction details, which I did since parts of the bandolier are often obscured on screen. Like other Eadu Jyns, I also heavily leaned on photos from Celebration Europe.

I found a belt at Goodwill that I used for the base. I made the jacket grenades out of 1” PVC pipe and bondo (I’m sure there’s an easier way— I found some old dosimeter batteries on eBay that looked spot-on, but something about using old soviet batteries seemed a bit biohazard-y to me). I dyed some 1” webbing, used the circular bit and other pieces from the M60 rucksack I already had, and splurged on the German dagger clips. As someone else has mentioned, the German dagger clips don’t fit with the tonfa, so I found a big clip in the DIY dog leash section at Joann’s that worked instead.

My bandolier goes all the way around with a pass-through just behind the shoulder seam that is hidden by the hood. (Similar to the construction of the Hot Toys poncho). It’s one big long piece, and comes apart at the base where the bag connects with a hook and magnet.
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn’s Eadu purse/bag: I dyed some duck cloth and the trim was 1.5” cotton ribbon that came with a new blanket we used at work, aged with an assortment of wax crayons. The remaining pieces parts I dyed 1” cotton webbing for. I leaned heavily on the pics from Celebration Europe for this.

I think the consensus is that her bag contains the sniper attachments for her rifle, but then where the heck is her air tank? So, as other Eadu Jyns that have gone before me, mine has a part of the “sniper attachment” (PVC) and an old metal water canteen for the “air tank” (aka somewhere for the breathing apparatus hose to go).
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't contribute any tipps unfortunately,
but am very excited to see you building the Eadu version
(which makes me want to tackle my project one day)!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hat — I bought a white hat off of Amazon and reworked it, dyed it, chopped it up to insert the ribbed top, and added the M43 cap flaps.

Initially, I misinterpreted the ribbed part to be cream, mostly due to strange lighting everywhere this costume was displayed, but it's actually a dull green/brown color.

The goggles are vintage Targas. The flashlight, for now, is a 3D print that has already broken twice. I hope to upgrade it to a functional rubber one soon.

As for the breathing apparatus that everyone wears on Eadu but doesn't end up needing (then why do they all wear it, exactly? Just to be extra I guess...):

Jen and other Jyns from the Stardust Sisters group sourced this stuff, thankfully! I got the Rebreather mask off of eBay with a CPAP hose. The greeblies were replacement lamp parts from Home Depot. I experimented and dyed the mask and the hose with RIT dye for synthetic materials, and handpainted the ribs of the hose because they wouldn't take the dye. I used a combination of some translucent model paint that looked to be a similar color, plus brown acrylic paint. It’s held on with a 1” leather band and again, the German dagger clips, and two soup can tabs.

Last edited by fleurderys () on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgnesAUT wrote:
I can't contribute any tipps unfortunately,
but am very excited to see you building the Eadu version
(which makes me want to tackle my project one day)!

You absolutely should! It isn't as bad as it looks. It was the fear of the unknown that was debilitating for me, but once I started throwing stuff together, it made more and more sense. Kinda like the pintucks. Laughing
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out so incredible. Excellent job!
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was how I finally wrapped my brain around the poncho, but there's got to be a dozen different ways to do it!

I made it out of 4 large pieces of fabric, with 1 and 2 being the largest continuous pieces. The sleeve is part of the same pieces 1 and 2, and has already been folded over here. I made two large rectangles and cut a curved slit for the sleeve.

You should be able to do this by making two large rectangles with your measurements, but I'm still new to drafting patterns and didn't trust myself.. so I used a poncho pattern and taped the front and back pieces together at the shoulder seam so that it'd be one continuous piece. I also added 2x the seam allowance in the back since I knew I'd be cutting it in half to get that center seam.

Then, I used a kimono pattern (adding a little extra length) for the front. I topstitched the outer edge, and then connected it at the shoulder and along the second inner seam. The connection point is hidden by the hood.

I used this lightened up screen grab for reference on the sleeves and the way the front hangs:

I stole a three-piece hood pattern out of a pattern I already had, cut out to the biggest size since it's an oversized hood. I also extended the ends quite a bit since the edges of the hood hang down past her shoulders. I used the collar pattern piece from the Green Pepper pattern I'd bought ages ago. I made my collar to snap open with four snaps, to mimic the way hers looks at the end of the scene on Eadu.

The thread looked thick, so I used heavy duty thread from Hobby Lobby and dulled it with a little bit of brown wax crayons. The fabric is a medium/heavyweight twill in OD Green that I got from fabric.com. Her actual poncho was more of a brownish green, but I chose this color since it resembled the way they color corrected her poncho for the scenes on the ship, before and after.

In total, I bought 5.5 yards of fabric and used about 4.5 yards to make it all, mostly because I screwed up and made the fully self lined hood twice. (Also, topstitch the hood before you assemble it. I learned that the hard way..)

Last edited by fleurderys () on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were among my initial submission photos:

I was asked to fix three things:

-darken the greeblies and goggles to a more gunmetal color
-darken the green strap on the bag (I was dumb and forgot to weather it)
-fix the ribbed part of the hat to a dark green/brown (vs cream)

While I did those fixes, I also shortened the leather strap so the mask would fall higher, and added the white lines to the breathing mask (which I'd also forgotten to do).

And, fortunately, that was it! Very Happy

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an incredible resource. Thank you for sharing your build. This will help future Eadu Jyns immensely.
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, sharing your work in progress and insight in this detailled and lucid way is very valuable and helpful - thank you and congratulations!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both! I've received so much assistance from our awesome community, I hope this will help someone else in the same ways I have been helped. Smile
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the fabulous reference pictures!

For the breather tank - the 6" Black Series figure has it inside her poncho, probably supposed to be on her belt, if this helps:

and this picture I think is actually of the breather tanks from the Millennium Falcon, but based on the toys I think it's probably close:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: