Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4441eedff2aacdc1b5c96c85043249fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode 6 pants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Episode 6 pants Reply with quote

Hello recently started a episode 6 death star duel project. The pants i found fit great are black with a ziper but have a black nylon strap down the center for the " tux stripe " would this pass for aproovel?
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pictures?
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a photo of the pants

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PV8McIgLtX2ivR2GLAYtWUYMwYfMlsm7/view?usp=sharing

photo of me in full costume, this is just a quick test photo and not at all submission quality.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nj5ndTdOr_SCJm-GwOx73WqG0UwT_xk4/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I'm not a costume judge but what you have is a lot more visible than the stripe is on the reference photos. From what I can tell, in the original costume the stripe is barely there, not much more than an inch-wide panel of similar material that runs down the outside seam of the pants.

The only photo from the reference library where you can tell it's there really is http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-3969-680x682.jpg

But, in searching around, I've found other submissions with a more visible stripe that passed, so I would encourage you to move forward. =)
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from research i did i was told this is a pic of the original on display

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B3IEO-vS7O_8NdgeOL_CAIxOHfXKCd_y/view?usp=sharing

I have also read that the stripe is 1".

this is just from quick reading I have done here on the forum. So it looks like it was elastic vs nylon? So still nto sure if mine would pass but at least gives everyone a better idea of what it looks like close up.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I'm not a judge. But, gut feeling: no. It's too obviously different material. I think it would be best to do the more "regular" tux stripe. As you're male, I think you could find them pretty easily? I had a heck of a time finding mine (being female), but here is the company I used for economical, no pockets (that was the trick), zip fly trousers.

https://www.uniformalwearhouse.com/apages/tuxedopants1.html

Hope that helps. Honestly, those trousers are the bane of so many Luke cosplayers. The stripe is only there sometimes, etc. Like, I didn't have to have it for my Endor Luke, but did for Death Star. So silly.

Anyway, good luck! I would consider submitting as is and then getting new trousers if asked.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad (Endor Five), Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron, Rouge Squadron (Matrix 77).
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is definitely shine here. The material needs to be no shine like the pants.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OcDyOg7SlxLpsRFkl5GyZQVFMHxm-dnw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/141k4nWFSUCfZJ9BzftbX1Y9Em54jitm_/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1udYnDUT-I6SeNYcYz2ARrdKlaZAVpwZl/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kfFLkxXEcuB1emeW4AMWsNwzG_-6XfRB/view?usp=sharing
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy by Brandon Alinger on the pages documenting Luke's ROTJ costume if you look close at the reference sheet it says the tuxedo stripe is 1 inch wide. This was a design element that Nilo (the costume designer for Jedi) carried on from John Mollo who designed for A New Hope and Empire.

I also believe it was confirmed that the tuxedo stripe was made from Mohair Braid which is wool and is commonly found on certain Military formal wear, though trying to source the same color and weave is quite difficult as the weave looks to run vertically rather than horizontal (as do the Blood Stripes on Han Solo's pants for example.)

I've found that the most economical and readily available alternative is to use 1 inch black ribbed elastic that can be found at Joann's or most local craft/ fabric stores. This also comes in a matte finish so you don't have to worry about any sheen like you would if you were to use certain types of ribbon.

There is also a riding seam on the seat of the pants similar to what is on Han's pants in Empire and Jedi.

These are just some of the specs on the screen used pants and I am not a RL costume judge so I couldn't tell you personally what the requirements or limitations might be for Legion approval, but these bits of information were helpful to me as I am also researching to make this costume soon as well.

Personally I love what you have so far for your ensemble and this costume of all those in the series is my absolute favorite hands down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched act 3 of ROTJ last night, and you can catch a look at the stripe as Luke sidesteps across the catwalk before Vader throws his saber. It’s definitely matte finish.

Nice photos, OP, but we can’t see the stripe in any of them.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the stripe fine on both my phone and computer and when worn it looks pretty good. Try it and change if not approved would be my thought. I didn’t look closely at the rest. Seems like you’re getting there.

Member: Knights of the Jedi Order - Star Temple, RAID - Fire Team 28, GRRRL Squad (Endor Five), Kilted Rebel Regiment, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Spice Runner Squadron, Rouge Squadron (Matrix 77).
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this costume has been approved, thanks everyone
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: