Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=77f680f011af89459c654b4e35e8ce78Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Not Generic Just Not Canon Either Jedi In Exile Costume WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Starblocker ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Not Generic Just Not Canon Either Jedi In Exile Costume WIP Reply with quote

Howdy folks, new guy here posting a bunch of WIP pics of my Jedi costume that I'm calling "Jedi In Exile." I'd call it a generic Jedi costume, which of course it is, but the word generic makes me cringe so yeah.

Anyway, as the admittedly janky cell phone pictures will hopefully show as we move forward I tried to incorporate a number of different concepts that were seen in canon Jedi costumes in such a way that I'll end up with something that's unique enough to not feel (cringe) generic in the negative sense of the word but is clearly not found as such in established canon either. It will make sense as I go along, right?

Starting with the outer tunic, which you'll see is based on Old Ben Kenobi's from ANH...

I used a couple of light cotton blankets that are a nice tan color for the fabric of the outer tunic. I really like the rustic, woven feel of the fabric, I think it adds a lot of personality to the piece. I roughed up and stained the fabric quite a bit to give it the feel of having been worn in harsh desert conditions for a long time...

My tunic is going to be almost floor-length and I made it in several sections. First is the sort of upper "vest" section as seen here...

I added a band of trim around the edges to finish them off nicely...

Here's the body of the tunic, extended to the floor and trim added:

Cut out some big ol' sleeves...

And sewed them on...

Put together the obi and tabards and stained them some...

All of which adds up to this...

The darkest patches on the obi are actually wet areas where I drew on them with ink and then wet them and rubbed them to get the ink off. They'll dry more or less looking the same as the surrounding areas.

It's just my own personal groove but as you can see I like the lived-in, weathered, worn-out look and I'm clearly bringing that to bear on this costume. Old Ben's costume in ANH is worn and dirty and patched and it goes a long way toward establishing his character as someone who was once part of a more elegant, civilized age but has grown old and fallen on hard times and is living like a hermit in exile in the desert.

So that's my outer tunic as is stands right now, not quite finished but coming along OK. Please let me know what you guys think.

Jedi belt coming up next...
Will Starblocker ()

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up is the dreaded Jedi cloak...

I made my cloak out of several dark brown wool blankets. I find I don't care for the cloaks I've seen that are made of thin fabric, they just look cheap to me, like something you'd get at the Spirit Halloween store. Not to bash anyone's work, on the contrary I'm in awe of the incredible work I see people doing on this forum, I just prefer a fabric that's a bit more substantial. Mind you, if the temperature goes above about 50 degrees I'll die of heat stroke while wearing the thing, but that's the price you pay for being at one with the Force I guess.

So as if to prove that I should have used thinner fabric, the blankets were big and bulky and not super easy to work with. Next time I'll try to find a workspace with a bigger table or tables so I can really spread out...

The blankets are older and heavily used and have a really nice feel to them. It's hard to get a photo with my phone that does the fabric justice but it's a rich, deep, dark brown with just enough of a rough texture to seem old and a bit worn out.

I'll cut to the chase, here's the cloak just after I assembled it. As is the case with Old Ben's cloak I didn't finish the edges, but I felt the sleeves looked a bit amateurish so I added a hem to the ends. I don't know, if it's a problem with the judges I can certainly take the hem back out.

My apartment is tiny so it's hard to get a decent shot of the finished cloak, which is pretty enormous because if I'm being honest my body is pretty enormous.

Obviously it's not easy to give too much feedback on it based on WIP pictures, when I get my act together I'll get some glamour shots of me actually wearing the thing along with the rest of the costume. But I wanted to show what I've been doing and where I'm at right now, more to come of course...
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, that will be nice to see it coming together and on you.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Will Starblocker ()

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
Sounds good, that will be nice to see it coming together and on you.

Much more to come.
Will Starblocker ()

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the prequel Jedi belts, so I made one for my Jedi In Exile.

I bought two widths of leather strap on eBay, which turned out to be a little bit too short to fit around my Jabba the Hutt gut. Not a major problem but it did impact how my belt turned out.

Here's my belt before I dyed it, pretty standard stuff I think...

Here's the belt hanging to allow the dye and some glue to dry...

I have a bunch of old leather ammo pouches and I decided to use a pair on my Jedi belt. As you can see in the before shot on the left they are pretty jacked but after I conditioned, reshaped and dyed them as seen on the right they actually look great and match the belt perfectly.

I tried to use leather hardware that I already had in order to keep my costs down, and as you can see in this pic after I assembled the belt things are a bit funky...

So here's the more less finished belt, obviously I'll take more pics as soon as I get the costume ready for me to actually wear it.

More to come...
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That belt extension idea is really clever! With pouches covering the connection points, it won't be at all visible, and should hold well. Great way to use limited materials!

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Issue 12 Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Will Starblocker ()

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
That belt extension idea is really clever! With pouches covering the connection points, it won't be at all visible, and should hold well. Great way to use limited materials!

Thanks! The belt has probably been more difficult than it needed to be and I've had to rejigger it a couple of times but I think it's going to be OK in the end.

I'll take better pics of it when I get to a point that I'm ready to take shots of me actually wearing it.
Will Starblocker ()

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So real quick here's a couple of shots of my inner tunic sleeves...

My inner tunic is similar to Old Ben's. I'm using a dark brown, long-sleeve, mock turtle t-shirt with the sleeves cut off a similar t-shirt sewn on in order to extend the sleeves way out and allow for the maximum bellows effect. I cut the elastic cuffs off the ends of the sleeves I sewed on and fashioned a tighter, less fancy, less Earth-bound looking cuff.

There's not much to it really, but I think it looks pretty good. More pics to follow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: