Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1661648af9b37e94d9b72109749c36f3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Scarif Marine Build (Picture heavy!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccluckles38 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Scarif Marine Build (Picture heavy!) Reply with quote

Hey everyone, This is my first post on the RL forum!

So, long time lurker, I have had chats with RL members previously, most recently at Star Wars Family Fun Day in Burnley (I'm so sorry, I'm blanking on your name. You were a stand up gent!) and before that I believe I spoke to Philly Peters at a con in Liverpool, who gave me a lot of advice and pointers.

I thought I'd upload my progress so far. I believe I have the bulk of the gear but I am aware, I've barely started!

I am already armed with some Rit dye for the flak jacket and enough sintra and foam to do all the little details. A blaster is also on my to-do list.

A couple of things:
-I'm aware the hat is incorrect. I read the wrong forum thread and got an ep8 Crait rebel trooper hat. I have some Hoth hat templates to work on.

- I'm struggling to source some goggles that won't break the bank, any suggestions? (The ones pictured are 2 cheap pairs from amazon and the 3rd is a pair of Cold War ear Russian aviation goggles.

- The BDU I got is synthetic. Is this a major concern for clearance?

- I got a set of welding gloves, I'm not sure if that's the correct style, does anyone have any reference images?

-I'm not sure where to get a "roller buckle" from, any sources?

-I have plans to add a shed load of black shoe polish to the brown shoes and get them matching the gaiters

If anyone has any comments, feedback or can answer my questions, please let me know!

Hope I don't mess up this HTML business!

edit: I did mess up the HTML business, in my defense, its been over a decade!
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a good start! The soft cap is not real accurate at this stage in your build. I believe there is a pattern floating around the internet with how to construct one. There are also a few (2 I think) people on ETSY too that sell them, but they are not real cheap.

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roller buckle is actually a PLCE belt buckle. You can just the buckle or attached to the belt.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183023476887

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292576160442
Jedi Twi Gham
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm confused, because you're building a Scarif trooper (per the thread title you used) but seem to have a lot of Hoth parts?

I see that you're replacing the hat, so that's good. IIRC the Scarif marine hat isn't quite the same as the Hoth, but it's close, so you should be able to modify a Hoth pattern if you're making it yourself. I think there are some threads around here that discuss the differences, from when people were first trying to pattern the Scarif versions. The communicator you have should be fine, though.

Vintage goggles are the best way, for those, but you're right, you either pay through the nose or have to be very patient and hope a pair comes up. They do come up... I've been able to find them a couple of times.

The welding gloves are for Hoth troopers or Hoth pilots... I don't recall Scarif troopers wearing any of those. In fact, looking over my references, the Scarif troopers (other than Jyn Erso) didn't actually wear any gloves at all. All bare hands. No gloves needed.

The belt stuff looks great. Just swap in the roll-pin buckle. You can find them on eBay, I believe, and I think WampaWear also sells them.

Not sure about the vest (obviously needs alterations), but honestly I haven't done that particular variant myself so I'm not one to opine.

The brown BDU pants look fine to me. What's the tan BDU jacket for?

The shoes and swiss gaiters should be just fine, once you blacken the shoes to match the gaiters.

Not sure what those pouches in the final photo are for. Do you need them for something?

Last edited by kman () on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of what Kman says, you seem to have a mix between Hoth and Scarif, and even with Scarif you seem to have a mix between characters/variants.

Are you going for something like this?
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/5e/Farsin_Kappehl.png/revision/latest?cb=20161222022541

Or the radio guy? He's the only one I can recall that had gloves.
Jedi Twi Gham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: