Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7923bdf297a6952d36ebef5f8a83af54Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Mara Jade Black Bodysuit & Green Dress Builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Natalie's Mara Jade Black Bodysuit & Green Dress Builds Reply with quote

I finally decided to tackle this costume. Mara has been a favorite of mine for a long time and while I have her Arica costume approved, it isn't quite troop friendly. The reason I delayed making this was simply I didn't know how to tackle the weird diamond pattern on the front and was afraid I wouldn't be able to make it work. I looked over a few that were available on Etsy etc but I just can't afford to pay for them so making it myself was the way to go.

I stopped at Shavali Fabric in LA and picked up 2 yards of 60" wide 4 way stretch Spandex and also picked up 2 packages of Wright's black piping at JoAnn's. Everything else I needed for this I had currently.

I used the YaYa Han McCall's pattern as the base for the suit as it had the general lines I wanted.

I'm a very visual person so I always like to sketch out what I need before I start actually working on the costume itself.
Here is my poor drawing attempt at what was needed.

The pattern is way oversized so although it put me at a size 20 based on my measurments, we cut it at a size 10. We used D as the base and omitted the collar and the sleeves. At a size 10 sizing, the pattern called for 1 3/8 yards of fabric but I'm glad I had the bit extra as it was used for the quilted areas on the thighs.

Once all the pattern pieces were cut out, I taped them together into 2 solid pieces.

This was where the fun began.
Laughing

The back of the pattern was fine as is as I didn't plan on adding the back princess seams or piping as it is not a required component. The front was where all the modifications happened. We re-drew the front to include the full body princess seams and shortened the straps as well as added the diamond and the thigh panel section.
Once that was done, I cut it all out and retraced it on pattern paper to add in SA as needed.

Then I laid out the pattern on the fabric and got to work cutting it all out. In the end, I only needed to cut 2 pieces on the fold, the center front panel and the diamond section.

I basted the piping to the side panels so it would stay in place before beginning to put everything together.

The quilted panels I topstitched together before combining it with the rest of the bodysuit.

Once everything was pinned together, I used a serger to make sure it stayed in place. I was very happy with the final result. Here is the finished bodysuit and a closeup of the thigh panel section. Sorry about the dirty mirror. I always forget to dust it.
Shocked

With the main hurdle out of the way, I set out getting the rest of the pieces I needed. I found this great wig on Amazon and love the color and look of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXLY1XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The boots I will be using are my knee high Jedi boots so that took that off the list.

I ordered these gloves and dyed them to match the color requirement.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733SLNBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My friend printed out the back harness piece for me and I used leftover leather in my stash to make the harness. I found the buckles for $2 each at military surplus store but you can also purchase them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Nickle-Black-Slider-Military-Buckle/dp/B01LWUJ9W8/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=military%2Bslider%2Bbuckle&qid=1559146243&s=apparel&sr=1-12&th=1

I made the belt and holster with leftover leather in my stash and picked up the buckle from Tandy for $2.
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/rectangle-buckle-blank-2-5-1-cm

Here are images of the wig, saber, harness and holster/belt from my "Swarm Wars" Mara but luckily they can be used for this version of Mara also. Very Happy

I also have a DL-44 that I just don't have photos of.

The goggles I found on Amazon for $8 and I made the cowl out of fabric in my stash.
This is the general shape of the fabric that I cut out based on what was shown on the standard and the CRL.

And here is the finished cowl with the goggles.

I found some great motor cross black shin guards on Amazon and those arrive today.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDSYHHV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They just need a little bit of paint and should be good to go.

Once I have all the components, I'll post the finished look. Hopefully I haven't missed anything!

In progress/planning: Jawa, Qi'Ra, SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the last bits and took my submission photos. I found it interesting that the only main difference in base requirements for Rl vs. 501st for this costume was the addition of the holster. Since I was taking photos for 501st also, I had to remember to take the holster off for one set.
Mara Jade

Sent in my photos last night. Hopefully all goes well with them. Mr. Green

Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Natalie!

Very good job. I am evaluating your costume

Yours!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oraculo wrote:
Hello Natalie!

Yours!

Thank you, Agustin! I really enjoyed making it. Mr. Green

Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Oraculo wrote:
Hello Natalie!

Yours!

Thank you, Agustin! I really enjoyed making it. Mr. Green

You are welcome!

Yours!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I never posted close up shots of my shinguards. I ended up using motorcross ones and they worked great.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also decided to work on Mara's green outfit while my other costume is being reviewed. Here's a quick breakdown of what I did.

First a breakdown of what is needed.

1) Red hair/wig
I used the wig I purchased from Amazon and just braided it. Because it's a wig, it holds the shape great with only a small elastic.

2. Luke ESB saber
Luckily, I also own this as it is part of my Rey costume. I believe mine is a Black Series.

3. Brown, calf high boots wrapped in fabric.
I own a pair of Timerbland Savin Hill boots that are the perfect length. I used leftover, dyed brown monks cloth from my Jawa build and wrapped those completely around my boots to achieve the desired look. I have extra fabric scraps should I need to wrap them more but I think overall, this matches refererence.

4. A black belt with a silver, rectangular buckle.
This is a versatile piece that I own and use for my "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" Leia so I just re-purposed it for this by removing the pouches and holster from that costume.
In this photo, you can see the belt detail. Very Happy

5. A brown, crossbody satchel.
I lucked out and found the perfect satchel at a thrift store for $4.

6. A circular medallion worn at the center of the dress.
I repurposed this medallion that I used for my Mary Marvel costume. It is held in place with earth magnets which makes it easy to take on and off for cleaning.

7. A green, long sleeved dress with a scoop neckline that hits at midthigh and matching leggings.

I used this fabric from JoAnn's.
https://www.joann.com/sew-classic-knits-solid-interlock/xprd757825.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Greens&start=1

For both shirt and pants I used 3.5 yards.

To make the dress, I used McCalls 7313, View F.

This needed no modification whatsoever. While the dress has a center seam, the belt hides it.

For the leggings, I used McCalls 7198 as it was what I had in my pattern stash. I took in the legs so that they didn't flare. If you use this pattern, I would suggest raising the back by a few inches. It doesn't quite align with the front over the butt so I had to recut it before adding the elastic.

The armor was a tricky part for me until I read in the standard that leather could be used. I had plenty of leftover scrap leather from other projects so I used that as the base for my armor.

I wrote out a quick tutorial for how I patterned my armor.

Initially I made both arms the same size as I had read through the forums and agreed with the argument that they are the same. However, just in case, I made an additional piece that is longer and matches the other reference for her armor. I am quite pleased with how they came out. Very Happy

This is the armor that is the same size:

This is the armor that is two different sizes:

It is held in place with industrial strength Velcro that is sewn to the straps of the dress and on the underside of the leather.

I'm really happy with how quickly this came together and how comfortable it is. Mara Jade

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Nicely done!

Thanks!! It helped to have so many pieces already done lol

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to report both my Mara's were approved this weekend. Mr. Green

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Congrats!

Thank you!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: