Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16de7ef4a2e5f50b320918d1ca38c8b0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Shrey's Ewok (Wicket) Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Shrey's Ewok (Wicket) Build Reply with quote

Having recently completed (as much as any costume is ever completed) a Wicket build, and as there don't seem to be a lot of Ewok build threads, I thought I'd put together something that might assist any aspiring Ewoks. Many thanks to Erin and Chirpa's Ewok Army on Facebook for all the tips that got me on my way!

Face/Head: I began with the most complex part, the face. I created the face out of a street hockey helmet with the chin strap and face grid removed, a foam camping mat and some foam I had from some refrigerated shipments. My art history textbooks finally came in handy to flatten the camping mat.

IMG_6990 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I sketched out the general concept of the face on the camping mat, then cut out the center of the mouth (for ventilation) and the eyes, inserting 1/2 plastic Christmas ornament orbs into the eyes.

IMG_7011 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I colored two layers of cheesecloth with black, brown and orange fabric marker and glued it behind the eyes, and affixed the face to the mask with heavy-duty sticky Velcro so I could make adjustments for vision. I later padded out the front a bit so the face laid more flat on the helmet. I also colored cheesecloth in with black fabric marker for the mouth.

IMG_7053 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Using aluminum foil, I made a framework for the nose and mouth.

IMG_7064 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I covered the aluminum foil with Sculpey and baked it according to the directions.

IMG_7077 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I then glued the mouth and nose onto the camping mat with hot glue.

IMG_7078 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered swatches of various faux furs to see them in person. A couple were wildly diverging from how they looked on a screen. I ultimately chose Maine Coon in brown/camel with 3-4" pile for the main body and Fox in dark palomino with 3 5/8" pile from Mendel's; long pile really helps hide a multitude of sewing sins.

IMG_7052 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Having selected the fur, I cut and trimmed the foam to create a brow, nose ridge, cheeks and a chin. I hot glued the foam to the camping mat (and also glued myself a few times, which I would not recommend). Ewoks have a rather babyish, flat face, but they do have some dimension. I later moved everything up and took down some of the foam on the top of the head, but this gives the idea. The ears were created with camping mat, faux suede, and the faux fur. I also painted the nose and mouth with some black, brown and tan acrylic and sealed it with a Liquitex varnish to give them some depth.

IMG_7079 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Once satisfied with the structure of the face, I began hot gluing faux fur on in the direction fur would grow. You can pin the fur on to see how it looks before glueing since it's all going to be covered anyway.

IMG_7080 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Here's the face with the forehead reduction and full fur coverage:

IMG_7363 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I reduced the forehead even more to give more of the round face shape:

IMG_7096 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood/headdress: Satisfied with the head, I began work on the hood. I mocked it up with muslin. IMG_7370 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I made some adjustments on the fly with pins and fabric marker.

IMG_7384 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Using the muslin template, the hood is made of faux suede, sewn together with a canvas needle and heavy-duty thread. Once sewn, I sprayed it with a brown spray paint meant for floral arrangements for weathering along the side seams and the bottom edges. I then used a leather punch to create holes for the leather cording, which I fed through and tied.

IMG_7418 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I later made some adjustments by tacking the hood to the foam at the ears and the fold-over detail at the front, to keep it from moving around, and tightened it to frame the face more closely.

IMG_8982 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Here's a side view that shows the face structure and hood from another angle.

IMG_8096 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Mask interior: I installed a fan system on the inside of the face. There are three small fans, one next to the mouth opening, blowing air up, and one each for the eyes to keep them from fogging up. The large blower in the back keeps air circulating. The blue thing is a rechargeable battery that is velcroed on. The assembly isn't visible under the hood. See dbickel's commentary on "Light and Airy Ewok Tips" thread for info on how to get the fan setup.

IMG_9287 by SumTotal, on Flickr

My head is pretty small, so I had to pad out the interior of the helmet to keep it from slipping around when I moved. The eyes are wider set than my eyes and the whole thing sits in front of my face. Peripheral vision is a no, but vision is good enough to get around.

IMG_9286 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 9:21 pm; edited 5 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands and feet: I purchased some alien hands for the hands and Yoda hands for the toes.

2AD0211C-4D27-457D-9134-F53D90065825 by SumTotal, on Flickr

4C7D9D14-9FAB-4A57-B6F6-810DE584BA85 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I liked the look of the alien hands better for the hands, but they didn't have fingernails, so I made some out of an aluminum foil base and Sculpey, then Gorilla glued them to the hands.

IMG_7445 by SumTotal, on Flickr

To paint the hands and toes, I used liquid latex and acrylic paints, I believe in an 80/20 ratio (I honestly can't recall) -- be aware this looks super light as mixed but dries much darker. Also pictured is the Liquitex varnish used to seal the paint on the Sculpey elements and the hands and feet. If you don't varnish, the latex paint mixture tries to stick to itself at any chance given. I suspect the hands and toes will have to be periodically touched up just through wear and tear.

IMG_9208 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9207 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I painted the hands and feet with dark brown first.

IMG_7446 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I then mixed a lighter brown and dry-brushed it over the darker brown.

IMG_7452 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_7453 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I put foam in the fingertips so they would keep shape, since obviously people fingers are not as long as these. I later discovered the latex mix didn't stick well to the Sculpey fingernails, so I peeled it off and repainted with straight acrylics and sealed it. I hot glued faux fur partway up the fingers, on the back of the hands, and the wrist.

IMG_9203 by SumTotal, on Flickr

For the feet, I bought a cheap pair of brown boots and hot glued foam on them. I did put foam on the heel but didn't take a picture of that step.

IMG_7892 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I gave Yoda a manicure by trimming his fingernails, then glued the clipped fingernails together. I then painted the Yoda fingers at the same time as the alien hands. I cut the fingers off (sorry, Yoda!), put foam in them to help them hold their shape, and hot glued to the boots.

IMG_7890 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I then glued fur to the boots.

IMG_7894 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 pm; edited 5 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spear accessory: I didn't want to face the pile of faux fur yet, so I decided to make a spear. I had a stick that I prepared, then created an aluminum foil base and shaped Sculpey over it, baked it, and glued it to the stick. I then painted it, sealed it, and wrapped it with leather cording.

IMG_7448 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9205 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9204 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I created texture in the Sculpey with random tools and actual rocks.

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoop vest for body shape: For the Ewok body shape, I mocked up a vest in muslin, and tacked plumbing tubing on the inside.

IMG_8271 by SumTotal, on Flickr

From the mock-up, I created a pattern.

IMG_8294 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I cut the pattern out in porthole mesh and sewed it together, then reassessed and cut down the tubing to the proportion I wanted, using plumbing connectors to complete each hoop. As you can see, the middle hoop, for the belly/butt, is the largest, with the other two being smaller; this method has the bonus of keeping the fur from touching much of your body, so it doesn't get as hot as when using foam or a fat suit. This photo is when I was testing it; I later decided against the shoulder pads, created and sewed in mesh casings for the plumbing tubing to sit in, and trimmed off the excess on the bottom.

IMG_8444 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Thu May 23, 2019 4:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fur suit mock-up: I did not take a lot of photos of the next step as I was in crunch mode trying to get him done for an event. However, I used a sort of terrible Simplicity adult animal costume pattern (2853) in size extra large (I would be a small as written), and adjusted it to have a lower crotch and to be wider in the middle. This also involved making the legs shorter and the arms a little wider. It further involved somewhat painful math to figure out how wide the front and back had to be to accommodate the hoop vest underneath.

AC0406BA-FE84-4675-861A-A4B073539C4D by SumTotal, on Flickr

This was my proportion check. Wicket, as a juvenile Ewok, has a humongous head, and I wanted to be sure I was on the right track before cutting into expensive faux fur.

Creating the fur suit: The winning faux fur selections:
IMG_9010 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I seam-ripped and cut apart the muslin mock-up, labeling the parts with fabric marker, and laid them out on the back of the main body color, being sure to keep all pieces lined up for correct fur pattern direction.

IMG_9011 by SumTotal, on Flickr

If you have a cat to supervise, this part is where the supervision will happen.

IMG_9014 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I carefully cut the faux fur from the back with a sharp X-Acto knife.

IMG_9016 by SumTotal, on Flickr

I also figured out the size of the belly pod and cut that out.
IMG_9018 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clipped the belly pod to the main body pieces, right side to right side, hand combing the fur away and out of the seam. The fur can also be gently combed out with an actual comb after sewing.

IMG_9025 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Here's what that looks like on the fur side:

IMG_9026 by SumTotal, on Flickr

The two front pieces with the belly pods sewn in:
IMG_9022 by SumTotal, on Flickr

The front sewn together and with the front sleeves attached:
IMG_9039 by SumTotal, on Flickr

The back didn't have the belly pod, but did have the complication of a zipper. I inserted a long zipper along the back seam area, with a fur overlap on the outside to cover the zipper:
IMG_9038 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Here you can see the back zipper as it is inserted with the "seam allowance" actually being on the outside to cover the zipper. At this point, I was clipping together the front and back to sew the whole suit together. This was extremely tedious and took a lot of patience. The suit is pretty heavy and double seam areas were problematic.

IMG_9041 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm and leg interior: Ok, getting near the end! After sewing the suit all together, to create fullness in the legs and arms, I took the mock-up arm and legs and cut another set out of muslin. I sewed it together with a larger seam allowance so it would fit on the inside of the arms and legs in the suit. I then glued plastic flexible boning to the outside. Once finished, I tacked the muslin and boning at the top and bottom of the arms and legs.

IMG_9052 by SumTotal, on Flickr

So this is in bright sunlight and not a true representation color-wise, but here's how he came together before I reshaped the hood a bit:

IMG_9066 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9065 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9064 by SumTotal, on Flickr

35/47896827281_d3b9226b4a.jpg[/img][/url]IMG_9064 by SumTotal, on Flickr

IMG_9058 by SumTotal, on Flickr

And here's so you can see how the proportions look super weird with the head off:

IMG_9054 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Last edited by Shrey () on Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMG_9053 by SumTotal, on Flickr

Here's his debut, at an Endor bunker with my Endor Base compatriots, which shows the actual color better:

IMG_7663 by SumTotal, on Flickr

In addition to the fans, I purchased a reciprocating pump cooling vest, which has a backpack that contains a bag for icewater and a pump, which pumps the cool water through tubes in the vest. It lasted about three hours for me, so I have purchased a second bag that I can keep in a cooler and swap out. This is the one I got: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXCQ1V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a TRAMP sound system, with three keys. I attached one to my index and one to my middle finger (in the first Ewok finger) with finger sleeves; the first does "Yub-Nub" and the second keys one random Ewok sounds. The third one I put on my ring finger, which along with the little finger is the third Ewok finger, and it loops all the sounds. I can press the keys fairly accurately with my thumb.

Everything fits all right in a 50-gallon wheeled bin, with some creative Tetris. I keep a repair kit in the storage tray, with things like needle and thread, velcro, foam, glue, etc. in it, because you never know what will happen.

For future troops, I plan to wear light cotton gloves under the hands, as it got pretty swampy in the latex. I also plan to put some slide buckles and straps to connect the hands to the arms and the feet to the legs, just so they can't slide up too far and to keep the boning/muslin from possibly bunching/collapsing. Otherwise, there he is, after about a year of fussing and struggling. I hope this helps somebody out there join the Ewok army! Please feel free to ask any questions. This obviously isn't the only way to make an Ewok, but I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out, so if I can spare anyone some of my stumbles, I am happy to do that!

Last edited by Shrey () on Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great job!
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Wow, great job!

Thank you! Endor Base has apparently never had an Ewok, so that was the genesis for this project. I don't particularly like drafting patterns or sewing, so if I had given it more thought, I might not have gone forward, but I'm pretty happy that I did. Laughing
OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really great to see the work that went into this, and well-documented for those who will follow in your three-toed footsteps! Nice tutorial!
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After wearing to a few troops, I'm contemplating some kind of elastic to a hidden button to hook down the hood but still leave range of motion for the head, and also perhaps some more stabilization on the front of the mask, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how he troops!

2016.06.22 Relay for Life Wicket by SumTotal, on Flickr

2019.06.23 Stanford Summer Scamper - Wicket by SumTotal, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: