Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4daf13a360cc759bdbcc5eecc37e73e9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

1st build! Endor Leia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Outrider Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre-9 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: 1st build! Endor Leia Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Nicholle and I am working on my first build for (hopefully) future approval. I met a few Rebel Legion and 501st members at the Calgary Expo, and everyone I spoke with was really friendly! It took me a while to get going again, but here we go!

For that event I worked on my first costume attempt: Endor Commando Leia. I had been thinking about a 501st costume (Seventh Sister or Bo Katan), but I really love this version of Leia and I have already done a ton of research, so I thought I would start here with my first build.

I am starting pretty much from scratch with the Briefing Room Leia since I need the shirt anyway. I would like to eventually add the poncho back in and helmet. I think the poncho I made is reusable, it just needs a touch up and to be worn in a bit more. The cut seems right but the fabric paint washed out somewhat and I couldn't find the forest green colour before the Expo, so that is something I will need to add. I think I have the hair down, so at least that is one thing!

I also need to make the leather pouches and holster (I did a last minute job with duck canvas, and it is not quite right). The pants I used have pockets, so I am not sure they are up to standard. Likewise the boots have a strap on the outside, which I can ask a cobbler to remove but I want to make sure they are approvable before altering a nice pair of leather boots. I found a 3D print pattern for the compad and rank insignia, so I am going to try a local library maker space to get it printed.

I don't see an option to attach a picture for feedback, but I see others posting pictures so there must be a way to do it.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed :-)

Cheers,
Nicholle
Sidewalker (Shawn Trainor)
Outrider Base CO
Outrider Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there! Glad you found your way over here. Emma (leiabunz) is our resident Leia expert, and James (skullflare) is our Base Membership Officer. Both are excellent resources for sorting out your costume needs.

For posting pics, upload your pictures to a photo hosting site such as imgur, and enclose the link using the “Img” button you should see when posting a reply.
leiabunz ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Like Shawn said, I’m the resident Leia for the base. I can’t really help much unless I do see what you have so far. I’m available over email emmaross2324@gmail.com or you can find me on Facebook under Emma Naomi Ross!
Spectre-9 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Emma, I saw your Leia costume at Expo two years ago and it really inspired me. It looked like you walked right off the set of the movie, I had never seen a costume like that! Do you sew everything yourself, or do you have someone you commission? I am just learning how to sew, so it might be a few practice runs before I get it right.

I will post some updated pictures of where I am at with the Briefing Room project this weekend (and some more detailed pictures of the boots, etc), but I have attached some pictures of where I started. The color/quality is so so, but you will get the idea. And, like I said this is my first attempt, so I expect I will need to work on it before I get it right.

I followed the instructions that I could find for the poncho on the Rebel Legion forums, but had difficulty finding the right colors. I used Design Master spray paint, but unfortunately a few of the colors listed by other members were not available in Canada (or at least Calgary) so I was missing the forest green and the brown wasn't bang on. I read that some others have used RIT dye in a spray bottle, so I will try that. If the cut or anything doesn't look right I can make another, but I thought it would be nice if something was reusable :-)

The picture of the back is to show the hood, this was before I added the brown paint so it isn't complete. I made the hood to fit over a bike helmet, so it should be big enough.

The hair is kanekalon. I think the color is a great match, I just need to hide the hair pin and smooth the back (my hair is NOT that long). I used my garment steamer to straighten the synthetic hair so it matched the texture of my hair better.

Question. Should I also be posting this stuff on the Leia forums?

Full pictures:
https://imgur.com/r7gqkZI
https://imgur.com/YNHb7yC
Back:
https://imgur.com/1MhY8Ht
Hair:
https://imgur.com/zw47dA0

(I tried the Img tags and they didn't work, it just ended up with a string of open/close tags and the url)

These are the pieces I have had printed at a makerspace:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2373722
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2914449

They're finished, I just need to go pick them up.

Cheers!
Nicholle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Outrider Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: