Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7cead46fd01dff52aa89cd1c393e2274Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

UltraSaber Graflex CE Conversion Anakin ROTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devren ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: UltraSaber Graflex CE Conversion Anakin ROTS Reply with quote

Hi!

So the Graflex CE is clearly based off the first lightsaber to ever see the big screen; the infamous saber of Anakin and later Luke. But while it is similar, the saber is not an exact replica. Mine came in just today with is brilliant shine and gold buttons.. but the rectangular piece (I'm honestly not even sure what it is called so feel free to enlighten me) nearest to the black handle on the bottom is silver and not gold, as clearly seen here:

in comparison to

How can I go about modding my Graflex to become as close a creation as possible to the saber of the Chosen One and still maintain that glorious shine that is the nickel plating of the Graflex CE? Other than that piece, the lightsaber seems as accurate as you can get, or are there other things I may be missing? Please let me know!

Thanks,
Devren

P.s. May the Force be with you
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if you want accurate Anakin duel worthy lightsaber, you're better off buying converted Anakin MR/Hasbro FX saber.

The Ultrasabers Graflex is pretty much as far as you can get. You may be able to replace the control box if you can get it machined. For the clamp section you won't be able to cut diamond knurling, even if you use a fly cutter on a vertical milling machine. Pretty much you're going to have to destroy the whole saber just for the mod.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: UltraSaber Graflex CE Conversion Anakin ROTS Reply with quote

Devren wrote:
(I'm honestly not even sure what it is called so feel free to enlighten me)

"activation box"

Matt is right there are not many options when it comes to custom anakin III sabers; you're better off with the MR or Hasbro offerings.

anakin III was one of the most accurate hilts that MR made -- (by contrast, luke ROTJ was not accurate at all) -- it was a highlight of the FX line.

I bought a hollowed-out anakin III force-FX hilt on Ebay for $40, to use as a belt-hanger decoration.
if you could find one similar, they make a great base for building your own functional saber.

(or, like Matt says, you could try to find one that's already been converted).

good luck Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or more expensive, pick up a Korbanth Graflex 2.0, and I have to assume there's a way you could transplant the guts of the UltraSaber into the Graflex. (although you'd need a new blade, but that's cheap)

Might be cheaper to sell the US, and use the money to buy the Korbanth and new innards.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korbanth/Parks Graflex 2.0 is pretty much sold out throughout most vendor and won't be restocking them till next year.

Acerockets on fx-sabers forum has a closed run of skinnyflex which is accurate to Celebration 3 display saber. Pretty much same design as MR hero hilt but different circuit board on the control section. If your lucky you can buy someone's spot in the run.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to stay out of this but I just can't.....

The Graflex 2.0/2.1 kit is a nice kit, but not accurate for ROTS. The ROTS Saber is a smaller diameter consistent with the prequel sabers in general, so smaller than a Graflex would be. I'm not going to speak on the FX Versions from MR/Hasbro as I have never held that one in person, but generally those sabers run a bit larger than accurate, I've had my hands on the Anakin AOTC (HUGE), multiple Vaders (oversized), and don't get me started on the Obi ANH and Luke ROTJ. You are not going to find accurate ROTS from ANY commercial vender at the moment. The ONLY person doing a accurate size saber is Ace Rocket/Orbital Machine but that run has been long sold out and there is a wait list to buy run spots.

With all that said, could you get a Graflex; be it a Korbanth 2.0/2.1, Roman's Graflex Replica, or a Vintage Flash Cell; and make it 'close enough'? Yup, with a few custom pieces it would look like a great replica, I have one myself made from a older Parks Replica, but I can't tout it as accurate and never will.

You have some sound advice in here, the Hasbro might be your best bet, cost wise, to get a empty, stuff some good electronics into it, and make it into a nice dueling saber.

Me personally, I would sell that US and put that money toward a better replica.

just my 2 cents Wink

Dave
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt2 wrote:
Korbanth/Parks Graflex 2.0 is pretty much sold out throughout most vendor and won't be restocking them till next year.

Acerockets on fx-sabers forum has a closed run of skinnyflex which is accurate to Celebration 3 display saber. Pretty much same design as MR hero hilt but different circuit board on the control section. If your lucky you can buy someone's spot in the run.

Actually Korbanth has about 25 left in stock that he's trying to move out, and THEN they'll be gone. He posted a day or two ago in his project thread on TheRPF.

If they're not accurate for ROTS, however, that's a different issue. But there are some Korbanths still available, right from the source. (I know, as I just bought one!) And Roman's run is getting ready to take off, too.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't use any sort of graflex for Anakin saber. Not accurate enough in my book.

If you're gonna hunt down for Anakin Fx sabers, don't cave into to sellers that are selling them for $500 or more. Just beware of that. I'd spend around $200 or less for that saber.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgtsbr wrote:
I'm not going to speak on the FX Versions from MR/Hasbro as I have never held that one in person, but generally those sabers run a bit larger than accurate, I've had my hands on the Anakin AOTC (HUGE), multiple Vaders (oversized), and don't get me started on the Obi ANH and Luke ROTJ.

I agree, most force-FX were not accurate, at all...
...but the fx-version of anakinIII was very well done.
it is only marginally fatter in the body (you hardly notice, when placed side-by-side).

the biggest differences, really, to my eye:
- the 'knurled' knob as wider ridges;
- the quality of the 'gold plating' is not quite the same;
- the 'clamp' area is aluminum instead of chrome.

it's not bad .. for a "force-fx" Razz LOL

of all the 13(ish?) models that they made.. I think this was the most 'accurate' of the lot.

top: Master Replicas "LE"
bottom: Master Replicas "FX"
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the sake of comparison:

obi-wan III . Confused (ughh)*

^^ (* this is typical of the force-FX line)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin Starkiller on RPF is going to do run of Anakin and Obi-wan stunt dueling saber in the future. I'm not exactly sure what they're gonna look like or if it's going to be electronic fx worthy saber. Maybe that's something to look into.
Jal Skywalker ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Figured I would chime in as well.

Actually this particular saber is called a "skinny flex", as opposed to the Graflex. And, as stated above, is a very rare find from the individual who did a limited run (and sold out quickly). As a matter of fact, just saw a "auction" for one, and no electronics, last bid I saw was $800!

No MR or Graflex, size-wise (again, as mentioned above) is going to match the actual Saber. the ROTS sabers were actually "machined" as opposed to using the "flashgun" style builds. So, size wise, you have to wait on individuals who make the actual Anakin to hit the size.

As far as "modding" your saber to meet a little better look...it is absolutely doable (again, you can't match the size) with the switch box, the clamp card, etc. Essentially, it's a mod that requires a little advanced knowledge of the saber, but, sure, it could be done.

As always, it depends on "the size of your pocketbook" to quote Dex in AOTC...haha.

Jon
StarwarsFan237 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are since you already bought the UltraSaber Anikin Skywalker Graflex CE lightsaber that you check out their accessories. One thing I have learned from ordering stuff from them is that all their sabers are customizable.

Anikin Skywalker Graflex CE lightsaber: https://ultrasabers.com/product/the-graflex-ce/
Customize parts:https://ultrasabers.com/build-your-own-lightsaber/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: