Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6a1930e415da1462b5d1a5e062d28bdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Acceptable Lightsabers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedisean2005 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Acceptable Lightsabers Reply with quote

Which sabers are accepted by the legion for the generic Jedi costume? Are the sabers from Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge: Savi’s Workshop acceptable?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe some of the sabers might be acceptable, although none of the "hero" sabers would be, unless maybe you're portraying that particular hero. Might need to make sure they have a D-ring attachment for your belt, as I can't recall if any include CoverTec clips or not, and you really need one or the other.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any rule about not using "hero" sabers, especially since they are easier (and more cost effective) for many of us to get our hands on. I would imagine that the Savi's sabers would work, and some of the parts do have the covertec wheel, while others have a D-ring. But if you get the belt clip from Dok Ondar's, it has both options. ;-)
Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, any saber that looks like a properly sized, non plastic saber hilt.

And no rule about hero sabers. Not everyone can order a custom 300 dollar saber and go for a store bought $100 Anakin or Luke
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, because we've had more than one local applicant turned down for having a Graflex saber, and they were told no Hero sabers for generic jedi.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anakin's "graflex" saber is NOT unique to his character.

https://i1.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-8414.jpg?strip=all
^^ palpatine used a red graflex saber in his duel with mace windu, seen here

also : general grievous has 2 of them in his duel with obi-wan on utapau.

https://i2.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6903.jpg?strip=all
^^ 1 graflex with a blue blade, seen here.

https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6795.jpg?strip=all
^^ 1 graflex with a green blade, seen here.

https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6796.jpg?strip=all
^^ also : 1 "obi-wan" hilt with a blue blade in grievous' right hand -- this proves obi-wan's hilt is NOT unique to HIS character either.
(as this screenshot clearly shows 2 obi-wan hilts, on screen at the SAME time, in the same exact FRAME of the film)

screenshots don't lie.

the judges should be made aware of this.

anakin's graflex is NOT unique to his character ;
obi-wan's hilt is NOT unique to his character.

this comes directly from the 'canon' film: Revenge of the Sith....

....now : we might not LIKE these facts (nor even agree with them, according to our own head-canon, which tells us that these graflex sabers were the result of behind-the-scenes "continuity errors", or whatever).

but the fact remains : we see 4 different "graflex" sabers in the same movie.

this is canon.

(whether these are "continuity errors" or not -- it is not the judges' place, to "cherry pick" what we see on screen)

(for whatever reason, the film makers showed us 4 different graflex sabers, within the SAME movie -- and George Lucas HIMSELF signed off on it -- this should be enough, to prove to the judges, that these "hero" hilts are NOT unique to one character).

Graflex hilts (and obi-wan hilts) SHOULD be allowed for generic jedi.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got these custom sabers on order, the one on the left will have a blue blade, the one on the right will have a green blade. The image carved into the leather on the hilts is my own Rocket logo. Both are combat sabers with an aircraft grade aluminium hilt and will have polycarb blades. Made right here in Australia by Saberdyne industries.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL should be real careful here...

So firstly, Im not a judge nor do I set the rubrics on character specs.

Having said that. I think simple comon sense rules should apply. Secondly, the rubrics apply so that a character is easily identifiable and standardized across the RL group. Also as i understand it, the rubrics are such to represent the understood character. Any kid or general person who sees a generic jedi with a hero character sabre will recognize that and the illusion will be gone. That is also why there are rules about hair for character rubrics here.... the idea is to look like the character as generally percieved. Yes some have change of costumes but they have their signature props.

While it may be technically canon as you can see it on film
, i would be very careful with this idea in relation to RL costuming rubrics. And yes continuity should be considered for RL rubrics.

Using the "if i see it on film" logic for RL jedi rubrics, i can apply as obi-wan with a anakin sabre for both ep ii and ep III Obi-wan. Obi wan hands anakin's sabre to him and says "dont lose this...." in episode ii ... in ep iii anakin obi fight scene obi is seen holding anakins sabre ... due to an extended scene that was cut. Didnt obiwan cut down darth maul with qui-gons sabre... can i apply as obi wan with qui-gons sabre here?

In episode I obi-wan's jedi braid flips sides ... so does that mean the jedi padawan obi-wan can have the braid on either side? I would say no as its been established that human jedi padawans have braids on the right side. Plus Lucas admitted he switched it thinking he would reverse the shot but decided not saying no one would really care. So Lucas does let mistakes or cheats slide if it suits him or if its cost effective. That's where i fall with grievous and the anakin and obi sabres.

Also during the prequel films it is clear that in some shots the stunt sabre with less detail were used vs the "hero" sabre. Can i use stunt sabres with my costume? I see it on film.. it's canon.

Im not trying to be picky for pickiness sake but having a general rule that to be hero jedi character you have to have the hero lightsabre and generic jedi have to have non hero sabres just makes it simple.

Unless RL wants to allow scene to scene characters when it comes to props okay... RL can go that way... but its gonna open a can of worms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The devils advocate for the grievous scene.

Rebels established that Anakin trained jedi in lightsabre combat forms. Its possible several students built sabres very much like anakin's out of a form of respect or hero worship. Same would be true for Obi wan as he was a jedi master and war hero to some jedi. So i would say the design isnt comon, but emulated out of respect for those two famous jedi.

Extending this idea, im sure emulating a lightsabre of a famous jedi would likely of happened over the history of the Jedi order.... thats kinda the prevailing theory of lukes rotj sabre... he used obiwans as a guide and out of respect for his mentor.

So its possible for generic jedi to have "popular" hero sabres... if i were game master in role playing id say no problem... i just think it may not be best practice for the rebel legion.
Blackthorpe ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people we interact with have no clue who a certain lightsaber belongs to. It's just not on their radar, aside from maybe the Skywalker/Rey saber, but that's only because it was given so much importance and screentime in the sequel trilogy. And no matter what, people will call generic Jedi by hero names. Heck, I've been called Han Solo multiple times in my Jedi.

I do think it's important for face characters to have the appropriate lightsaber, but requiring generic Jedi to have a unique lightsaber is next to impossible.
Kal Argos ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackthorpe wrote:
... I do think it's important for face characters to have the appropriate lightsaber, but requiring generic Jedi to have a unique lightsaber is next to impossible.

Why would it be nearly impossible?

I dont think any one has said every generic Jedi has to have their own unique lightsabre. That would be onerous for the RL to catalogue/check and on those applying.

I also dont think its impossible or unreasonable for generic jedi to not use hero lightsabres, especially with the myriad of online stores that have nice lightsabres with a wide range in price.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: "rubrics"

if the goal is to prevent generic jedi from being mistaken as obi-wan,
then WHY do we allow generic jedi to wear obi-wan's tunic? and obi-wan's boots? and obi-wan's belt?

why do we allow generic jedi to wear anakin's boots? or anakin's brown leather tabards? or anakin's leather belt pouch?

end of day, a generic jedi CAN wear a costume that is 99% accurate to ANY face character...
...but they can't wear the lightsaber? of all things?

^^ this seems pretty random.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also (separate question):

why do we allow face characters to use lightsabers that are only 'half-way close' to being accurate?

see pic below.

the saber on the left is a "100% accurate" Replica of obi-wan kenobi's lightsaber from episodeIII;
the saber on the right is merely just the same color(s) -- it is NOT accurate, by ANY means

the dimensions are all wrong; the "neck" is a completely different shape; etc.. etc..
.. and yet , BOTH of these are accepted as the "face character" lightsaber for obi-wan III.

if we are going to be so picky about "face character" lightsabers on generic costumes..
..then why do we allow these "generic" lightsabers, on face character costumes?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img543/371/8djv.jpg

^^ either way -- the fact that general grievous has a lightsaber EXACTLY like the one on the left,
SHOULD make this a "General Grievous" lightsaber -- according to movie canon.

(not merely just an "obi-wan" lightsaber -- since we actually see TWO of this SAME model, on screen, at the SAME time -- in the hands of two DIFFERENT "face characters").

https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6796.jpg?strip=all

^^ the lightsaber-in-Grievous'-right-hand is clearly NOT "obi-wan's lightsaber" -- since obi-wan has his OWN lightsaber in this SAME pic....

....so why can't a generic jedi apply for membership with this, "General Grievous" lightsaber?
(are we afraid he will be mistaken for General Grievous?)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also (separate point):

if the new rule is to be "no face character lightsabers on generic jedi" then (a) why is this not written in the standards?
and (b) why does the RL website CLEARLY show SPECIFIC EXAMPLES of 'face character lightsabers on generic jedi'? LOL

(a) the standards have not changed since 2013. this rule has never existed in the past,
(so why are the judges suddenly enforcing "rules" that don't exist?)

and (b) the RL website provides a photo, with examples of generic jedi for others to follow:
the photo is listed under the heading "character description", seen here;
http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-standards-generic/

^^ the male jedi in the center of the photo is wearing a 100% accurate AnakinII costume, c/w Anakin's hero lightsaber.
(this is given as an official example of "generic jedi")

^^ the female jedi (second from left) is wearing a generic costume with Obi-Wan's Hero Lightsaber hanging from her belt.LOL
(this is given as an official example of "generic jedi")

IF this is suddenly against the rules, then why is this shown on the RL website, as an Official Example of "generic jedi" for others to follow?

it seems like the judges have changed the rules, in an arbitrary fashion.
(a) this idea of "no hero hilts on generic jedi" is NOT supported by the written standards.
and (b) this idea of "no hero hilts on generic jedi" is NOT supported by the official photo-example on the RL website.

(the RL website includes clear examples of hero-lightsabers-on-generic-costumes -- so how can the judges possibly think this is suddenly against the rules?)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all said is true, this is a troubling development.

As to why having a non hero saber is difficult for some, those tend to be more expensive than toystore available hero sabers, especially outside the US where custom costs come to play.

I would very much like to hear from a judge on this matter
Kal Argos ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robes rubric:

I didn't write them, nor am I a judge. The generic jedi standards are written to contain any and all likely combos of robe, tunic, obi, sash, pants, boots, belts, etc... that fit in the era. I did not see a restriction on 100% match to hero and then call yourself a generic jedi. Seems like an oversite to me. But again im not a judge...

The jedi clothing parts, fabric, cut, style can be mixed and matched.

Id have to read all the hero character standards, but, being consistent to my early statement ... "If" I were a judge i would not allow a generic jedi to dress exactly like a hero with a different sabre ... but im not a judge and I ultimately respect the judges call ... they know the standards better and spirit of the RL than I. I am merely giving my opinion. However, I do remember seeing a caviot somewhere in the general rules basically said, if a judge allowed a bad call or not an exact match and later down the line they were more exacting on you ... you cant sight that as a "they got away with it" precedent.

Sabre examples:

Okay one is a static prop one is an electronic blade.. the thicker neck allows for structural integrity.

The standards read "13. Revenge of the Sith Hero lightsaber hilt".. so it would appear strictly speaking a electronic bladed sabre is not allowed. But it appears that its up to judges.... tho i dont know what was submitted either... may be that only a hilt was in the application picture.

But I do see lots of electronic blades in event photos. Looking at the fx sabre and allowing for the neck size, the colors and overall fit with the hero i can live with it. As tech and materials get better id expect better matches. But I also dont want to make so difficult in order to have a fx sabre you spend thousands for a screen accurate fx replica. The graflex type fx sabres are closer but still not exact to the hero but its close enough for me. Its clear to me what it is supposed to be.

To me these are not generic sabres, as you put it. they are hero replicas that have size mods to allow for electronics and a blade that allows for role play light fighting.

The obi vs grievous:
Again i see this as a cheat by the cg department ( dont the blade colors change between shots), but as i say before you can rationalize an in canon excuse. I just say that if it were up to me, hero sabres go with hero characters. Generic jedi should have to get a generic lightsabre, or at worst they must some how modify a hero replica to a certain amount to be different. This again is to keep it simple and its pretty easy to find fairly inexpensive hilts and fx hilts these days... so its not extra burdensome in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: