Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=909ea8e55aa853a3dd5aa5eea0b787a7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP Reply with quote

Our base is doing a group build of ESB / Hoth-based costumes this year, in light of the anniversary of ESB, so I thought I'd start a WIP of my progress. Smile

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/hoth-hanger-trooper-ep-v/

PARTS:

1. Trooper Soft Helmet: Ordered from Pilot Bay. CHECK (once received, but no worries on that front)

2. Goggles: Vintage Uvex goggles from eBay. CHECK (they're not Swans, but they're the right shape with pretty good vent patterns. Once I strip that little bit of color out with acetone, I just need to change the elastic to some plain white elastic and they're done!)

3. Flightsuit: Tan Flightsuit (from WampaWear). CHECK

4. Boots: Vintage Jackboots: CHECK (I may still try my hand at making the moccasin style boots myself, if I have time, but meanwhile, I'm covered either way!)

5. Helmet Comm Device: 3D Printed. CHECK (I still need to paint it, but fortunately I had randomly printed one of these a while back, before my printer died)

~~~~~~~~~

Let's see, I have remaining:

Complex:

1. The Vest. That's the last complicated piece. I'm hoping to try to make the vest myself, else I'll go with an Etsy vendor. Smile

Aside from the vest, all that's left is truly simple stuff:

1. Gloves (welding gloves are cheap, and I can probably print the glove greeblie?),
  2. Hoth rank badge (I'll likely 3D print this myself),
  3. Cloth rank badge (I found an Etsy vendor that sells these as iron on patches, but I need more research on this), and
  4. Scarf (should be simple to find one on Amazon, else maybe just a length of fabric?).

All of the simple things which should be pretty straightforward. Looking forward to this coming together!
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a vest, I recommend 20EyesDesign on Etsy. It's the perfect color to go with the Wampa suit.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
If you buy a vest, I recommend 20EyesDesign on Etsy. It's the perfect color to go with the Wampa suit.

Thanks! Yup, that's the vendor I was looking at. I'm still sort of hoping to sew it myself, but we'll see.

Minor update, I picked up that iron-on rank badge for the arm. Super cheap. I might still go a different way, but at least if I run out of time I have a simple way to knock this one out.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of the rank badges here seen on the suits for the inside troops. This is out of the book. I do not know what all the rank emblems mean so I just chose one of these 3, so I know it goes with that uniform. I am sure what you chose will be fine though.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest is almost identical to Leia's Hoth vest so you're welcome to borrow my pattern and modify it to suit your needs if you like. Mr. Green

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
PR/Social Media Team for Rogue Detachment
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
The vest is almost identical to Leia's Hoth vest so you're welcome to borrow my pattern and modify it to suit your needs if you like. Mr. Green

Hmm. Maybe! Between your pattern and the Endor vest pattern, I might be able to sort of blend the two together.

I'm amazed there's no solid public pattern for this, after all this time?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP Reply with quote

kman wrote:

[*]Helmet Comm Device: 3D Printed. CHECK (I still need to paint it, but fortunately I had randomly printed one of these a while back, before my printer died)

[/list]

Kalani, do you still have the file for the hat communicator piece? We need it lol

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
PR/Social Media Team for Rogue Detachment
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: kman's Hoth Hangar Trooper WIP Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
kman wrote:

[*]Helmet Comm Device: 3D Printed. CHECK (I still need to paint it, but fortunately I had randomly printed one of these a while back, before my printer died)

[/list]

Kalani, do you still have the file for the hat communicator piece? We need it lol

Yes, I do, but it's just the model that's on Thingiverse, I believe. Definitely not something I modeled myself. I can track down the link, if you can't find it, or if it's been pulled for some reason, I can certainly send you the files. Let me know!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build. I'm trying to do something similar, but I am not having any luck on the goggles....
ChrisG ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build. I'm trying to do something similar, but I am not having any luck on the goggles....
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisG wrote:

Keep hitting eBay, and be patient. Search "vintage ski goggles" and "swan ski goggles" (hey, you could get luckier than me!) every few days. Shouldn't take long to scroll through the results. When you see something that looks good, for a sane price, pounce right away, if there's a buy it now, else set an alarm close to the auction end so you don't miss your shot!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little movement on this build. My hat is still being made, at Pilot Bay. I hope to make it to a build party later this month for some guidance on sewing the vest. The rest should still be pretty simple. Smile

I did work on the goggles a bit. Still need to swap out the strap, but I may drag my feet on that until my hat is done, so I can make sure it's sized correctly to go around the hat.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goggles look great.

It's good you went with the Wampa wear suit so you can find a light enough colored material for the vest. I am seeing some being made that are too dark, in my opinion. The Wampa suit is perfect color and the vest should only be a couple or a few shades darker, not much.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
Goggles look great.

It's good you went with the Wampa wear suit so you can find a light enough colored material for the vest. I am seeing some being made that are too dark, in my opinion. The Wampa suit is perfect color and the vest should only be a couple or a few shades darker, not much.

Fingers crossed! When I finally go fabric shopping for the vest, I'm definitely going to need to bring that WW flightsuit with me for color referencing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: