Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5dd2a67454c3c4457a48f42208302725Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Clone Wars Shaak Ti - WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tas ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Clone Wars Shaak Ti - WIP Reply with quote

Here we go, y'all. I'm taking the plunge, losing whats left of my marbles, and diving in to attempt Shaak Ti.

Since I joined RL, I've been doing a lot of leather work, so that's where I started as I'm most comfortable with it. First came the tabard. I used Amanita's pattern (would have been SUNK without it).

A good friend was kind enough to lend me her copy of "Dressing a Galaxy" which has a closeup of the tabard and was CRITICAL to preventing a meltdown when I started the tooling.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17677&highlight=shaak++apron+pattern

Pattern laid out, ready for tracing. Used a stylus and a straight edge. Prayed on the curves.

Tracing done, then came cutting with the swivel blade. Used a straight edge again. Didn't trust myself.

Then came the first round of tooling!

First section of backgrounding. Tandy no longer makes these tools, but I was lucky enough to stumble across them on eBay!

Finished tabard!!

Then came the gauntlets. This I had to rely on my own patterning skills. You really don't see these much in the show, but there's a great graphic for them from the animator assets.

Drew out a pattern, looked pretty decent.

Now, we only see the left gauntlet up close, and this is the one with the Comm on it. I didn't want to leave the middle of the right one blank, and since we NEVER see it, I felt like it was fine to take a teensy bit of creative license. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Test fit, fits great!

Final detail added.

After much consideration, I've decided that I will attach the tabard permanently to the belt using a combination of Chicago screws and stitching, which I will then cover with the belt buckle. This being the cartoon version, the belt buckle is just a different shade of brown (rather than bronze metal) and can safely be made of leather, I think. The belt then simply buckles in the back, with plenty of room to tighten and loosen as needed.

This is basically what it will end up looking like.

I won't do any of the attaching until after everything is dyed.

The tabard is very dark, due to all of the wetting necessary for the tooling. But it ended up being pretty much exactly the lightest shade of brown I was going to need to dye anyway, so HOORAY! Only 3 colors to dye.

The tabard alone was about 25 hours worth of work. The belt and buckle perhaps 1 hour (the little loop is stitched on). The gauntlets were probably just 3 hours.

We're clocking in at juuuust under 30 hours. She's going to be many more, this fancy Jedi Master of mine.

Please let me know what you think! I will be posting updates on the dyeing process, and then on the rest of it as I get into it. Montrals, robe, and skirt. (Oh my!)
Purpleblade23 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute BEAUTIFUL leather work!!!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning leather work! Very Happy I love the detail on it; many people leave it the small tooling details, but I think it's what really makes it pop.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
tas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!!

Tabard has been dyed! It was quite the process and I've clocked well over 30 hours of work on this piece alone.

Here are some photos, one color at a time. First two colors are dyes. Fiebing's Light Brown (which has that lovely red tint) and Tandy Eco-Flo Bison Brown. Second two are Tandy gel antique: Tan and Medium Brown.

I used tiny paintbrushes for everything, even the gel (which is usually buffed on with a cloth). After brushing the gel on I carefully dabbed it off with a cloth and then buffed it to shine. I elected not to go over the areas with multiple coats for a perfectly even finish; I really like the slightly weathered look. I use big paintbrushes for the Jedi belts I make to give them a weathered look from day 1 as well.

Hoping to finish the dye job on the belt, buckle, and bracers and then get the belt/tabard assembled this week. Once the leather work is done, I start on the montrals. Send positive vibes.

Final image is of the tabard right next to the Shaak Ti page of "Dressing a Galaxy." I'm really thrilled with the colors and how they came out. The tabard is warmer to the naked eye, so it ends up looking even closer to the original costume piece in person, save the fact that there's a little more contrast to the colors (which is more like the CW version, so... win).

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Mr. Green
Precision work takes time, but it's so worth the result.

ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leather work looks excellent, very sharp.

Point of clarification, you're working on both animated and film or just one version of Shaak Ti?

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
tas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

For right now, this is for Clone Wars Shaak Ti. The differences between Clone Wars and Prequels are significant enough that I can't submit for both right away, but down the line, I may make the adjustments to have both.

One big test will be how the montrals come out. I will make them with only CW in mind, but if they can pass for live action as well, then I'll consider making the alternate costume pieces.
ionicdesign (Michael)

Medals: 7 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true. I hope the build progresses well.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Purpleblade23 ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is stunning and inspiring leather work. Great attention to detail.
tas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather work is very close to being totally done!

Next up is finishing assembly of the belt/tabard, and conditioning and sealing the gauntlets.

Will post a photo of all of it together/on me sometime this weekend!

The gauntlets were so much harder to paint/dye than the tabard. I'm not 100% happy with them, and may remake in the future, but for now they will work. I mean... honestly you'll really never see them under the cloak. I would adjust the design a little to allow for a little more tooling to help the different colors/lines pop more and appear cleaner.

I would also use all antiquing gel rather than any dye. The gel is much easier to control in these weird shapes. The tan is gel, the other 2 colors are dye.

Here's the belt, nearly done. I punched holes in the belt and the tabard. (Punching holes in that tabard made me die a little inside, but I digress.) I then put Chicago screws through the belt, and then cemented the "buckle" over it. This allows for a perfectly smooth, clean belt in the front. Belt will buckle in the back, and be hidden by the cloak. Tabard will be removable from the belt, so that I can store them separately and avoid any warping or stretching of the top of the tabard.

Buckle is currently clamped to keep it in place. I used barge cement to affix it to the belt, and it takes about 24 hours to cure.

tas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather work is all done! Just need to glue the comm pad to the left gauntlet.

Also have the undersuit and arm sleeves.

Currently working on a mockup of the cloak. When it's in better shape I'll start posting photos. Cloak is a little tricky as it fits totally differently from a traditional Jedi cloak. It's pretty fitted in the torso, has fitted sleeves with a gentle bell curve to the wrist, curved hem and a bit of a train. The hood is gigantic, but that's the easy part!

Next up, along with continuing work on the cloak, is patterning the montrals. My next Everest.

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNF. SO GOOD. Looks even better on a large screen than when you showed me on your phone. Smile

Can't wait to see it in person!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, that leatherwork is phenomenal! Can't wait to see the rest of this build.
Kessel Base XO
Kessel Base XO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That is beautiful! Great job!!
Mother of Jawas

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the leatherwork. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: