Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=08de5e2b9c9a4f791ddc3b41c9b934acMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Galaxy's Edge Legacy sabers vs other company's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimeekitty ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Galaxy's Edge Legacy sabers vs other company's Reply with quote

Hey folks, I’m curious if there are reviews/opinions of the Galaxy’s Edge Legacy sabers vs other company’s ? I liked the Rey/Luke one but was curious what more serious saber folks felt about them?

Edited: because there was not title (real apostrophes and other special characters make post titles disappear on the forum (a bug), sorry)
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Rey saber looks fine to me.

Cobalt-60 wrote:
there seem to be 2 different kinds, available for sale at Disneyland.

- I agree the ones from Savi's Workshop look like toys, and I don't think they would be acceptable.
(ie: the ones that look like this)

^^ these look like oversized plastic toys. I don't think these would be accepted in the RL.
I can definitely see a problem with these sabers being accepted.

- however, the "replica" character-sabers at Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities, look perfectly fine.
(ie: the ones that look like this)

^^ these look just like the "Force-FX" sabers, which ARE accepted in the RL.
I don't see a problem with these being accepted.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the elemental ones look pretty nice. They are metal not plastic like a toy, but I was more asking about if any experienced saber folks had comparisons of the legacy sabers vs places like ultra sabers or Vader’s vault etc. what I found since I posted was that most saber people aren’t a big fan of the legacy sabers and recommend going with a custom saber company instead.

Kal Argos ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of youtube reviews out on these. I haven't got one so this just my opinion based on my research and reviews ive seen.

So overall the Savi's workshop sabres look awesome to me. Especially since you can remove the blade, disassemble them, it has a kyber crystal that be changed out that also changes the blade color . Overall im very impressed. I am hoping to make it a family fun thing when we go to GE in a few years. My current favorite design is the peace and justice one. My guess is that overtime they'll replace the parts or themes to keep the experience fresh and bring "Disneyparkers" or collectors back.

The picky prop person in me. They are, like the fx sabres, thicker in circumference to allow for the build, crystal and electronics. But thats a personal preference for feel in the hand and wielding it. Reviewers do say the are nice and heavy. The only thing that bothers me is that the metal parts screw onto plastic threads that will eventually loosen or strip the plastic threads. The videos I've seen the gatherers really crank down to ensure a tight fit but it could damage the threads as stated above. I have heard that the details on each part do not always align well... hopefully that QC issue will be corrected soon... some of the pieces need to align or the sabre looks terrible.. im not talking a little bit off, ive seen some that details are off by 0.5 inches. This really only impacts sabres where a line or carved detail run the length of the sabre.

The legacy sabres are basically the fx sabres and besides being a little out of proportion for the blades they look great. Obviously the luke ROTJ, Mace Windu etc ones are more notable on this.

But they all look very nice and would be great on any RL Jedi I think.

My ultimate goal would be to use my 3D printer to design multiple parts to go over the Savi's lightsabre chasis... and viola, instant any sabre... so much potential... im sure some crafty person has or will do start an Etsy store for that.
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been assembling custom sabers for 1.5 years now and the hobby of sabers has exploded with so many options for static (hilt only, no electronics) and fully functional sabers of all different price ranges.

The Galaxys Edge sabers from what I have observed through youtube reviews are metal(ish) covers that slide over a core of sorts. They are large in overall diameter, and although (to my knowledge) would get approved with your costume (build your own for generics and the legacy sabers for face characters).

However, there are options for hilts that are more accurate, stronger, and (subjectively) more attractive looking. As mentioned before there are MANY options for hilts both empty and installed with electronics.
The majority of the companies that come to mind include:

Saberforge, Empty/Installed
Vaders Vault, Installed Only
Genesis Custom Sabers (Installed Only)
Ultrasabers, Empty/Installed
Ultimate Works (The Pach Store), Empty/Installed
KR Sabers (The Saber Armory, )Empty/Installed
89Sabers (USA vendor Saberbay on Etsy) Empty
Korbanth Empty/Installed
OneReplicas (Etsy seller) Empty
The Graflex Shop (For Graflex based sabers, Luke ANH/ESB, Rey TFA/TLJ)
The Custom Saber Shop (Mainly for parts and components for sabers, but they have a line of parts called MHS Modular Hilt System which allow you to create your own hilt).

All of these companies offer removable blade sabers, as that is the standard for any custom saber. However the differences in blade technology can vary. The most affordable options have in-hilt LED modules where you insert a hollow blade with diffusion material inside to achieve a fully illuminated look.
Neopixel is currently top of the line for blades and being that it uses a flexible RGB LED strip inside the blade it offers the cool scrolling effect (as seen in the movies) and other awesome effect for blade lockup and blaster deflections. These blades are also sturdy enough to handle light to moderate dueling and choreography. Trooping with these blades is a breeze. And people love the brightness and the blade effects.

Neopixel blades are not to be confused with LED strip blades which use small, fragile 5mm LEDs wired together like a ladder.

There are all sorts of advancements going on for sound at the moment, where the board will follow your every movement, called SmoothSwing.

There is also several FB groups that discuss this hobby, and can easily be found and joined for all of this information.
Universal Lightsaber Community
The Vault: A custom Lightsaber Community
Open Source Sabers Group
and many more.

Costumes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode III
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: