Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=20bddbfbc23de0e07343cea52972281cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Atton Rand WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenrylo ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Atton Rand WIP Reply with quote

So Iím new to the RL and the forums and Iím starting my first project for approval!
I was browsing the CRL and the forumsóthereís nothing for Atton Rand, my boy from KOTOR II, and the one thread I saw on here I donít think was completed. Anyways, Iím going to start a WIP thread on here for this new journey. Lots of using old PC renders and trying to discern details from that 😂

One of the members of my local garrison directed me to post here on the Jedi forums, since Atton becomes one of the ones to help the Exile restore the Jedi Order after the Jedi Civil War.

(Sorry still trying to figure out how these forums work LOL)
kenrylo ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Iím starting with the white shirt, and basing the design off a modified Han Solo shirt(ROTJ). It needs a good ironing, haha, but my main question as of now is: am I seeing clasps on the top of the folded down portion from the reference?

Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, more KOTOR characters! Excited for this.

I think you're onto a good start with the modified Han shirt, but I'd like to see that diagonal going across the body on the closure, rather than it going straight down. And yes, it does look like clasps or something on the flap.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the undershirt done and went to check on here--yeah, I was thinking that too, the reference pics show the closure going more crossbody than this pattern gave as a shape. And trying to move that seam over is gonna make it way too small LOL, I'll have to get more fabric tomorrow when Hobby Lobby reopens 😅This time I'm lining it, in person the fabric gets kind of sheer.

The shirt needed a zipper to get my head through with how tight his collar looks to his throat, I have to apply that, too.

Anyways, here's the update:

My next question would be: do the gloves look to be the same fabric as the undershirt, or more of a brown leather? I canít tell, but I FEEL like itís leather?
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the undershirt.

Re the shirt. it might be worth borrowing the cross body closure from a Jedi pattern - Atton's shirt does look like a 'smuggler' shirt crossed with a Jedi tunic.

And yeah, I'd say leather rather than matching the undershirt for the gloves. The refs look like the artist has tried to emulate the wrinkles and creases of leather, and in terms of design, they're very much fingerless versions of classic pilot gauntlets.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Iím an approved atton! For my undershirt, I used a stretchy cotton; itís really comfy and no zipper required! I used some pleather gloves that were a very similar color to the under shirt.

Let me know if you need additional references or have questions about what I did Smile

1138th Special Forces Squad Leader 2019-2020
Jyn Erso - RFT - ERT - Mando Merc/Bo-Katan - Atton Rand - Hoth Hanger Trooper

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice costume. Smile You could share some more references if you want to help people give you better feedback.

I'd advice to spend some time mocking up your patterns and trying it out on cheap fabric, so you don't risk spending a lot of money rebuying more expensive fabric. Or worse; that the fabric you want sells out.

Good luck. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
kenrylo ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kryamala--AWESOME actually started looking more through the forums, just came across your thread I think!! That's exciting!! And I was thinking pleather too, came across what I think looks to be a match on amazon, pricing ain't too bad, either. But Lordy @Lora you're right, the shirts I'm not worried about the shirts, the batiste is like $3/yard anyways, but gloves? haha yeahhhh that's getting a mock up.

And very true about more references to match fabrics. Just found a few that are good enough quality to use:

Been super busy, I'm gonna try to have the white shirt done in the next few days. Maybe even tonight!
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the gloves, instead of making them from scratch, I found a pair of pleather long, full fingered gloves and then cut the fingertips off. It was cost effective and pretty easy to do Smile just an idea!

Looking forward to seeing more progress from you!

kenrylo ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have the shirts done! (Well. Besides trimming loose threads haha)

I like the idea of modifying gloves, considering I apparently have to buy 2 yards of the pleather I was looking at and... nah. So I found this, do you think it would work to mod? The color looks about right, and the fit looks like it would work as well.

Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirts look good, nice work!

As for the gloves, I don't think they've got the gauntlet-eqsue flare that Atton's do - they're too tight to the arm. It does sound like modding an existing pair of gloves is the right way to go, though.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím not a judge but those do look pretty similar to what I used Smile youíd likely have cut some off the top of the glove so itís a bit shorter but I think they could work?

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YESSSSS another Atton! Shirt's looking great, my literal only note is to press the crap out of it- he may be scruffy looking but his shirt doesn't have to be, haha. Can't wait to see more progress! The world needs more KOTOR.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
kenrylo ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Shirt's looking great, my literal only note is to press the crap out of it- he may be scruffy looking but his shirt doesn't have to be, haha.

LOL, got a chuckle out of me there, good point 😂 I haven't gotten to that or trimming the excess thread yet, habit of doing that all at the end of my projects.

@Dangams But I'm gonna raise a counterpoint--to me it looks like that "gauntlet-like flare" is literally just his forearm, with the tucked-in shirt blousing around it. @Kryamla I saw your thread and was why I went more towards that pair, but I'm gonna keep looking just in case. (The real problem with these old 2003 graphics LOL)

About to order some denim for the pants (EDIT: thatíll be in Wednesday!), gotta get some bias tape for those stripes too. Boot covers are definitely in the near future; I'll deal with the leather later on haha.

Last edited by kenrylo () on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2003 graphics make it difficult huh? Lol again, Iím no judge but I agree that itís likely just his arm with his shirt blousing out. Thatís the approach I went with lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: