Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7db2bc97946ef5b0daa9729d40c1b5ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Imperial Ground Crew Disguise - Pre-Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the PhiloProps R1 style boxes and the code disk for the belt buckle, if anyone wants more detailed pictures/measurements.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this picture and thought it might be useful, has a nice clear view of the collar tab:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/a8/f5/f2a8f5077b0b232796d6f817c5327dbf.jpg
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent picture, Jabari! I've never seen that one before.

I wonder if we should start a flickr account or something for a reference gallery. I'm a little worried about another photobucket situation where if it folds up, we lose our gallery, though.

Sorry I've been MIA, was on vacation. Guess it's armor time, though thankfully I don't think we need to tweak much here, I think we just need to lay it out in a more readable fashion. I suggest we describe the overall armor then break it up into sections.

Armor

• Armor appears to be a glossy/semi-glossy black with some weathering.
  • Armor has black foam padding behind front and back pieces and lining the straps.
  • Armor is composed of 5 Parts; Chest Armor[1]; Back Armor[2]; Wrap Armor[3]; Batons[4]; and Straps[5].

--------------------1. Chest Armor

--------------------2. Back Armor

--------------------3. Wrap Armor

--------------------4. Batons

--------------------5. Straps

Do you guys think this will be easier to read?

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outline format seems to make sense, to my mind, for the Standards text.

For collecting the resources, I'd recommend a Google Drive over Flickr, for the very reasons you mention: Flickr could decide to to drop free accounts and start charging any day (or change the functionality of free accounts so they no longer do what we need), and we'd lose the whole thing unless someone ponies up. Google is the least likely to have this issue.

The main issue becomes ownership, since they're usually tied to someone's personal account, and when leadership changes, it becomes an issue. I wish the RL had a G Suite account, because then shared drives can be set up and individuals designated access (and revoked) as needed, so personnel turnover is less of an issue.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been posting a lot of pics on my personal server. A google drive, can you even link pictures to that?

I wish we had a nice, clean graphic to use, but this was the largest, cleanest shot of the front I could find. I did see some 3D model pics on the RPF, I wonder if the creator would let us use the graphic for the standards.

Armor

• Armor appears to be a glossy/semi-glossy black with some weathering.
  • Armor has black foam padding behind front and back pieces and lining the straps.
  • Straps are rubber or rubber-like with raised rectangular detail. Straps pass through slots on the front and back armor pieces.
  • Armor is composed of 5 Parts; Chest Armor[1]; Back Armor[2]; Wrap Armor[3]; Batons[4]; and Straps[5].

--------------------1. Chest Armor

• Chest Armor is composed of 4 pieces; The Chest Base; The Front Plate; Attachment #1; Attachment #2.
  • Width of top of chest armor is approximately the width of the wearer, from armpit to armpit. It spans from the base of the neck to the bottom of the ribcage.
  • Straps pass through two raised mounts/slots on top of armor. Left side mount has round shaped indent. Left side has two oblong oval cut outs backed with red plastic, just below shoulder strap mount. *Optional: These may be lit.
  • The Front Plate is rectangular at the top, with a groove running most of the way down the rectangle’s center. Sides of front plate is wing-shaped and wraps around bottom of Chest Base to the Wrap Armor on the side.

• Wings partially cover Attachment #2. There is a hollow section behind where the 'wings' wrap around.

-Attachments

• Attachment #1 appears rectangular from the front, with sloping top and bottom sides making it appear trapezoidal from the side.
    • Attachment #1 has a horizontal slot with rounded ends, and a blue plastic square (approx. 1.375"?) below it in the middle. The slot and the square are the same width.
    • Below Attachment #1 are two silver metal or metallic details, a small disk with a knob, and a male snap connector. The knob is cylindrical with a conical tip.

• Attachment #2 is wedge shaped, with a rectangular base that has sloped sides. At the top of the wedge are 5 small shallow rectangular holes with rounded ends.

---------------------------------------
Please discuss! This is mostly derived from both the 501st standards and Jabari's edits to wording, trying to find the cleanest way to present this information in the easiest way to read possible, so please give your input!

I tried to put the general over-all points separate from the point-by-points on the armor parts themselves.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The width of the chest armor is armpit to armpit? That would seem to indicate armor makers would been to make a ton of different widths. That's not usually possible (or rather, practical) for hard armor. Most hard armor comes in one size, or two at most, since a different mold has to be sculpted for each. Otherwise every single person who is a tad wider or a tad smaller than the standard needs to get one-off custom armor made.

Even with the word "approximately" in there, I can easily see Judges getting carried away with that.

What has been the norm for hard armor in the past?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. The previous wording said it was "the width of the wearer" which isn't entirely accurate, if it's any wider than where your sleeves sit, you won't be able to move your arms forward. I'm tiny and mine sits in the right place. Technically on Kent Deezling it's much smaller, so it would be more accurate to range it on the smaller side, but no larger than the width of your chest.

Here's Kent Deezling.

fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some minor suggestions in red!

This all makes sense. My only thought is maybe more bullet points might be easier to digest vs. several points made in longer sentences.

------
-Attachments

Attachment #1 appears rectangular from the front, with sloping top and bottom sides making it appear trapezoidal from the side.
Attachment #1 has an outlined and raised? horizontal slot with rounded ends, and a blue plastic square (approx. 1.375"?) below it in the middle. The slot and the square are the same width.
Below Attachment #1 are two silver metal or metallic details, a small disk with a knob, and a male snap connector. The knob is cylindrical with a conical tip.
Attachment #1 sits on the top right of the chest armor of the wearer.

Attachment #2 is wedge shaped, with a rectangular base that has sloped sides. At the top of the wedge are 5 small shallow rectangular holes with rounded ends.
Attachment #2 sits on the left side of the chest armor, approximately 3 inches below the two front lights/oblong ovals.

---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: