Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12c8a07d492e2003877e5e08a7c9776fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Vest -- Rear pocket question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: RFT Vest -- Rear pocket question Reply with quote

Greetings all! My base is working on group build of RFT's and we are making vests from the modified BDU shirts. I'm looking at what optional items to add to my costume and one is the large back pocket. Most of us are doing this to our vests, but I was thinking of adding the three lower pockets.

I've looked at the standard, but I wondered if anyone had a better description/measurements/etc. for the lower pockets? Is each pocket a separately sewn on pocket, with space in between each one? Or is it one long pocket with dividers sewn in? How wide is the strip of pockets? Does it stretch from side seam to side seam? Simple patch pockets, or expanding pockets like the ones on the front?

If this info is available somewhere in this forum and I missed it, I apologize. I've done some searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. (The Photobucket mess always makes searching old posts a pain as well Sad ) I really appreciate the help, and will upload photos of my vest when I get a chance. I have it completed with the large upper pocket.

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, here are the pockets I added to my vest. (BDU conversion, pockets made from the material from the removed sleeves)

I made it based on the available material (lower pockets should be longer across the back, with bellows, but I didn't have enough material) after a close examination of the auction photos of the screen-used vests, and watching the opening sequence of ANH on Blu Ray a bunch of times to confirm.

The bottom pocket is one long pocket, subdivided with two smaller pockets on the sides, and the one longer pocket in the middle has a Velcro closure in the middle.

Screen-used reference:

Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome - thank you so much for the quick reply and great photos! This was exactly the info I was looking for. (And sorry for not replying earlier - the forums are so much more tedious on phones vs desktop!)

One other question - for the velcro closures on the large and the middle smaller pocket - is there a specific size the piece of velcro should be? And should it be sewn on velcro (so you see the stitch lines) or is sticky velcro ok? I have a deadline for approval, so wanting to get approved as soon as possible!

Again, I really appreciate the help, and when I finish I'll share photos of my finished vest. Smile

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
Awesome - thank you so much for the quick reply and great photos! This was exactly the info I was looking for. (And sorry for not replying earlier - the forums are so much more tedious on phones vs desktop!)

One other question - for the velcro closures on the large and the middle smaller pocket - is there a specific size the piece of velcro should be? And should it be sewn on velcro (so you see the stitch lines) or is sticky velcro ok? I have a deadline for approval, so wanting to get approved as soon as possible!

Again, I really appreciate the help, and when I finish I'll share photos of my finished vest. Smile

You should be able to see the lines of stitching in the photos of the screen-used vest, so that's what I'd recommend emulating. Smile

(If you can't see the lines, I'd recommend looking on a real computer so you can adjust the image brightness and see, because it's there)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: